Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Who here has done a leak down test?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Who here has done a leak down test?

Im about to pull my heads to send back to Tony Mamo for some upgrades and bigger cam Before I pull them I decided to do a leak down test on my motor. My car has 40k on it and I’m getting 8-10% leak down between all cylinders. This is done on a cold motor and bringing up to 100psi. From what I’ve read 10% seems to be max you would want to see but I have also read upwards of 15-20% is acceptable as long as it’s the same across the board.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:04 PM
corvettenutz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

squirt some oil down the holes, rotate a few and re-check. That will tell you where some of the blowby is going.Leak-down is not exact but a very relible (and most accurate ) way to guage the engine your working on.On a dry/cold engine thats good numbers.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:28 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by corvettenutz
squirt some oil down the holes, rotate a few and re-check. That will tell you where some of the blowby is going.Leak-down is not exact but a very relible (and most accurate ) way to guage the engine your working on.On a dry/cold engine thats good numbers.
I have my intake and exhaust off. I put painters tape over ports to make sure nothing was coming out of heads. These heads only have 1k miles on them and the had no leak from what I saw. This was a cold/dry leak down test
Old 03-31-2018, 04:48 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I ran a leak down test, last spring, after the car had been sitting all winter. My lowest cylinder was 94%, and the best was 97%. With the rest reading 95-96%.

What upgrades are going into your MMS265 heads?
Old 03-31-2018, 05:07 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by edmundu
I ran a leak down test, last spring, after the car had been sitting all winter. My lowest cylinder was 94%, and the best was 97%. With the rest reading 95-96%.

What upgrades are going into your MMS265 heads?
Well those numbers are much better than mine. Makes me wonder. This car just seems to have been a bad choice. It’s always something that’s just not up to par on it.

We we going with high lift springs, hand porting the exhaust side, bigger exhaust valves and just going through them to make sure everything is perfect also milling them for a 12.5:1 compression to take advantage of the E85.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:43 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I would try a little oil in the cylinders, and see if that doesn't up the numbers. If it does, then when warmed up and oil on the walls you have good sealing. Also, turning the motor over a little will also help settle the rings for a better seal.

IT really is all about the combo. I'm not familiar with yours, but if it isn't a matched combo, results will not be there.

I like that you' re upping the compression...IT improves throttle response, sounds meaner at idle, and makes more power everywhere. IF Tony is spec'ing your cam, then you're in excellent hands. Now it is just down to your tuner...
Old 03-31-2018, 06:31 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by edmundu
I would try a little oil in the cylinders, and see if that doesn't up the numbers. If it does, then when warmed up and oil on the walls you have good sealing. Also, turning the motor over a little will also help settle the rings for a better seal.

IT really is all about the combo. I'm not familiar with yours, but if it isn't a matched combo, results will not be there.

I like that you' re upping the compression...IT improves throttle response, sounds meaner at idle, and makes more power everywhere. IF Tony is spec'ing your cam, then you're in excellent hands. Now it is just down to your tuner...
I have Tony’s full package already. And just had my second retune on it last week after the new clutch. Car makes 630rwhp right now and is tuned by one of the best in the Bay Area. I just want more and the reason for the leak down was to make sure my block is ok. Car does seem down on power just slightly. That is coming from my tuner and Tony.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:24 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Test at bdc and try rocking the piston back and forth to get the rings perpendicular to the cylinder. I would not use oil. 5% is OK, 10 is high.

Last edited by Michael_D; 03-31-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:55 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Test at bdc and try rocking the piston back and forth to get the rings perpendicular to the cylinder. I would not use oil. 5% is OK, 10 is high.
bottom dead center? So at the end of down stroke sucking air in?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael_D
ok I brought the piston down to bottom and lossened my rockers. I also tried rocking my piston at bottom. I checked my worst one and I’m getting 8% leak. This motor only has 40k. Do I need to pull it? I really don’t want to. I’m thinking if I did I would just throw forged pistons and maybe sleeves.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:18 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayfabs

ok I brought the piston down to bottom and lossened my rockers. I also tried rocking my piston at bottom. I checked my worst one and I’m getting 8% leak. This motor only has 40k. Do I need to pull it? I really don’t want to. I’m thinking if I did I would just throw forged pistons and maybe sleeves.
You are making (non-FI) 630HP to the wheels and you are thinking about pulling the engine?

Sure, you have 3 or 4 more percent leakdown from "perfect", but, you also have 40K miles on it, and at these power levels, cylinder walls / rings are probably going to wear at a slightly accelerated rate. Unless you are chasing some national championship somewhere, I'd leave it be for now.

Do you know how to listen to see which of the 3 exit paths the pressure is escaping from?
Old 03-31-2018, 10:29 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
You are making (non-FI) 630HP to the wheels and you are thinking about pulling the engine?

Sure, you have 3 or 4 more percent leakdown from "perfect", but, you also have 40K miles on it, and at these power levels, cylinder walls / rings are probably going to wear at a slightly accelerated rate. Unless you are chasing some national championship somewhere, I'd leave it be for now.

Do you know how to listen to see which of the 3 exit paths the pressure is escaping from?
To be honest I don’t want to pull my motor. I honestly came here for the knowledge of you guys. This is past my knowledge.

my intake and headers are removed so i have tape over them. I can hear it coming from inside the motor. Valve covers are also off and no bubbles in the coolant. The car runs strong
Old 04-01-2018, 01:14 AM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Also one thing that might be important. If pressurize my leak down test without it connected to the hose going to head and I bring the first gauge to 100psi the second gauge shows 98% so if I’m sitting at 92% with it hooked to the head that might mean I only really have 6% leak down?
Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

In my opinion you are fine and no possible way I pull a motor over what you are seeing. Anything under 10% is good and what you are looking for is consistency across cylinders.

When I popped two pistons last year, my readings looked something like this:

Cyl 1: 6%
Cyl 2: 7%
Cyl 3: 6%
Cyl 4: 5%
Cyl 5: 42%
Cyl 6: 6%
Cyl 7: 51%
Cyl 8: 6%

This is when you know you have a problem.

And your dyno is using STD correction. Take off 4-6% for a more accurate comparison to SAE (what most dynos use as a correction standard). You are closer to 600whp SAE. (which is still extremely stout).

What injectors/fuel pump are you using? I would start to be concerned with running out of fuel at those levels. Especially with E85.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:22 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 301 Posts

I think you are in a good area I agree consistency is what you are looking at. I would also see what your cranking compression is. The test is a little easier than the static one (not having to get pistons in right place oil in cylinder etc.). You can also do it a little quicker while engine is still warm - pull plugs, a couple of fuses, air cleaner inlet. A good pump gas motor should be like 190-200 psi after 3-4 strokes. If you are really high compression E85 then maybe like 220 psi. Once again consistency is the key so if one or two are at 145 psi and the rest are at 190 psi then you have a problem.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mordeth
In my opinion you are fine and no possible way I pull a motor over what you are seeing. Anything under 10% is good and what you are looking for is consistency across cylinders.

When I popped two pistons last year, my readings looked something like this:

Cyl 1: 6%
Cyl 2: 7%
Cyl 3: 6%
Cyl 4: 5%
Cyl 5: 42%
Cyl 6: 6%
Cyl 7: 51%
Cyl 8: 6%

This is when you know you have a problem.

And your dyno is using STD correction. Take off 4-6% for a more accurate comparison to SAE (what most dynos use as a correction standard). You are closer to 600whp SAE. (which is still extremely stout).

What injectors/fuel pump are you using? I would start to be concerned with running out of fuel at those levels. Especially with E85.
I’m running a walbro 450 and Bosch 52lbs injectors

also my tuner Matt Grower. One of the best in the Bay Area very straight forward guy. Told me this dyno is stingy and it’s STD numbers compares to SAE numbers on cars he has tuned on other dynos. Not that it really matters.

Last edited by Jayfabs; 04-01-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

My preferred method for evaluating engine condition is still the compression test. I've never been a big fan of using the leakdown test for that. I just typically use it to locate where the missing compression went when there's an issue.
Standard compression test format... engine warm, injectors off, full charge battery, all plugs out, throttles open if ITB.
Watch the first bounce of the gauge, it should be roughly half the final compression pressure. It's a good measure of static ring seal, not relying on pressure buildup to force the rings against the cylinder wall.
If they come up low, that's when I break out the CLT.
But I'm sure everyone has their own method...

Get notified of new replies

To Who here has done a leak down test?

Old 04-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayfabs
Also one thing that might be important. If pressurize my leak down test without it connected to the hose going to head and I bring the first gauge to 100psi the second gauge shows 98% so if I’m sitting at 92% with it hooked to the head that might mean I only really have 6% leak down?
To your point, if you have small leaks anywhere in your gauge or hose set up (you need to make sure the spark plug adapter / o-ring has a 100% seal), it's going to skew your readings.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:36 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
To your point, if you have small leaks anywhere in your gauge or hose set up (you need to make sure the spark plug adapter / o-ring has a 100% seal), it's going to skew your readings.
my hose had a small leak at the head end where it swivels. I glued that end up so I could make sure I had a very tight seal.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowanker
My preferred method for evaluating engine condition is still the compression test. I've never been a big fan of using the leakdown test for that. I just typically use it to locate where the missing compression went when there's an issue.
Standard compression test format... engine warm, injectors off, full charge battery, all plugs out, throttles open if ITB.
Watch the first bounce of the gauge, it should be roughly half the final compression pressure. It's a good measure of static ring seal, not relying on pressure buildup to force the rings against the cylinder wall.
If they come up low, that's when I break out the CLT.
But I'm sure everyone has their own method...
When I get it back together I’m going to do a compression check. I’m sure it will come up fine.

Quick Reply: Who here has done a leak down test?