Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Best tuner in the Midwest

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:37 AM
4drtrg
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
That sucks. I have to find a tuner in the next month or so. Is there any other shop that you would recommend in the area? We recently moved to the west suburbs. Still finding out what's where lol.
I’m looking at having Shane Hinds tune my F1C blown grand sport soon. He’s just been very particular in what he wants on the car lol, so it’s taking longer than I had hoped. (Sourcing the parts he wants to use and only those parts lol). Same thing with my neighbors G8 LSA blower car. But I haven’t heard ONE SINGLE BAD thing about him. And I’ve heard people have actually paid to fly him out to tune there cars lol. So he clearly knows what works and what he wants. He’s located in IOWA if I’m not mistaken. Would be worth trailering the car to him for both of us, as I’m on the IL/WI border.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:03 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bborello1
see my earlier post , Modern Muscle in Plainfield . LSX 454 Zo6 and built ZR1. been doing my builds since 2011.
Thank bborello1
My apologies for skipping your earlier posts. I might make a trip out there soon just to check out the shop. I am in Bartlett, so a bit of a drive but not too far.

Originally Posted by 4drtrg

I’m looking at having Shane Hinds tune my F1C blown grand sport soon. He’s just been very particular in what he wants on the car lol, so it’s taking longer than I had hoped. (Sourcing the parts he wants to use and only those parts lol). Same thing with my neighbors G8 LSA blower car. But I haven’t heard ONE SINGLE BAD thing about him. And I’ve heard people have actually paid to fly him out to tune there cars lol. So he clearly knows what works and what he wants. He’s located in IOWA if I’m not mistaken. Would be worth trailering the car to him for both of us, as I’m on the IL/WI border.
Quick search on Shane Hinds does bring up a lot of 5 star ratings. It might be worth the trip. I'll have to do some more research on him. I am still waiting on my heads and cam to be shipped from AHP. Hopefully they will send it any time now. I'll have to run it by the wife and see what her thought would be on trailing the car to Iowa in terms of cost. This was an unexpected repair over the winter, thanks to Fast Motorsports out of Woodstock (no longer in business I believe). Sounds like you are close to my parents (Gurnee). I am in Bartlett (west of Schaumburg). How soon are you looking to trailer your car to Shane?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:20 PM
QwkTrip
Instructor

Lingenfelter has a facility in Michigan where they do the custom tuning. The Indiana location just does the package builds.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:24 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Lingenfelter has a facility in Michigan where they do the custom tuning. The Indiana location just does the package builds.
Have any experience with them?
Old 04-15-2018, 06:04 PM
QwkTrip
Instructor

No, I don't. You can rest assured they're not idiots though. It's where they do all the tuning for their racing programs.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
No, I don't. You can rest assured they're not idiots though. It's where they do all the tuning for their racing programs.
Ill have to give them a call and see where it’s at. Most shops I’ve called so far do not answer their phone or get back to me
Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 PM
4drtrg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
Thank bborello1
My apologies for skipping your earlier posts. I might make a trip out there soon just to check out the shop. I am in Bartlett, so a bit of a drive but not too far.

Quick search on Shane Hinds does bring up a lot of 5 star ratings. It might be worth the trip. I'll have to do some more research on him. I am still waiting on my heads and cam to be shipped from AHP. Hopefully they will send it any time now. I'll have to run it by the wife and see what her thought would be on trailing the car to Iowa in terms of cost. This was an unexpected repair over the winter, thanks to Fast Motorsports out of Woodstock (no longer in business I believe). Sounds like you are close to my parents (Gurnee). I am in Bartlett (west of Schaumburg). How soon are you looking to trailer your car to Shane?
Shane and I talked again today. It sounds like he prefers remote tuning with HPTuner pro and his wideband package. He’s currently 1-2 months out on dyno service so I haven’t exactly made up my mind.
I’m still very torn on which I’d prefer. But since there’s 3 inches of **** on the ground I’m not exactly motivated to do a damned thing right now anyways but look at the car in the garage 😭
Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Shane is located in the St. Louis metro area, not Iowa.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:36 AM
4drtrg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tech
Shane is located in the St. Louis metro area, not Iowa.
yea, Collinsville Illinois right on the border. 4 hours for both of us
Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drtrg

Shane and I talked again today. It sounds like he prefers remote tuning with HPTuner pro and his wideband package. He’s currently 1-2 months out on dyno service so I haven’t exactly made up my mind.
I’m still very torn on which I’d prefer. But since there’s 3 inches of **** on the ground I’m not exactly motivated to do a damned thing right now anyways but look at the car in the garage 😭
That's great to have the remote tuning as an option. I'll might give him a call or chat with him on facebook. Just to have more options. Like you, am not set on anyone yet. At his point is Shane or Moden Muscle.

LOL I feel your pain with the white crap outside. Totally demotivated to do anything on the car, but I know when it warms up a bit I will be rushing to get her up and running
Old 04-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Shane is good.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:14 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Makes me wish we could make a sticky that plotted and listed the best tuners on a US map. It's not really "hard" to find a good tuner, but we certainly don't make it easy for ourselves.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

"Best" (or even "among the best") is hard to quantify. It'll just be a popularity contest. These people may also work for, or out of, shops that aren't sponsors. I think it's better to just ask people in your area.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Nickey Chicago
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Bellack
I had a good experience with Nickey Performance ion the Chicago Suburbs
Thank you Ron. We appreciate your business.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 PM
wjrive
Instructor

I'm in St Louis ,Is there anymore information on how to contact Shane Hinds in Collinsville Illinois ?

Willie
Old 11-12-2018, 09:24 PM
charlierogers
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

giving a shout out to nickey performance from st Charles ill, 2016 zo7/zo7 build/tune. they can and will do from A to Z on your car. Stefano can answer all your questions and more importantly steer you in the right direction on what level of performance your expecting to accomplish. one of the best tuners out there is his guy Matt. they were great to deal with and showed me around shop at other builds they were doing. nice to actually see a perf shop back up there build/tunes on the dragstrip, 1/2 and 1 mile events then post videos on you tube!!!
Charlie,,,
Old 11-12-2018, 09:27 PM
rickyb
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I would give Dave Steck from DSX tuning a ring. Great guy and he's back in stl.

Get notified of new replies

To Best tuner in the Midwest

Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Bgreenard
Go Fast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Katech in Clinton Township, MI did my C6Z. I was pleased with the results.

Also heard good things about Motor City Speed in Walled Lake, MI

Last edited by Bgreenard; 11-12-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Nickey Chicago
Cruising

Originally Posted by charlierogers
giving a shout out to nickey performance from st Charles ill, 2016 zo7/zo7 build/tune. they can and will do from A to Z on your car. Stefano can answer all your questions and more importantly steer you in the right direction on what level of performance your expecting to accomplish. one of the best tuners out there is his guy Matt. they were great to deal with and showed me around shop at other builds they were doing. nice to actually see a perf shop back up there build/tunes on the dragstrip, 1/2 and 1 mile events then post videos on you tube!!!
Charlie,,,
Thank you Charlie.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
"Best" (or even "among the best") is hard to quantify. It'll just be a popularity contest. These people may also work for, or out of, shops that aren't sponsors. I think it's better to just ask people in your area.
This x 10000000

Unfortunately, 99% of people don't know tuning, so they just recommend what they heard or tuners they've been to. Tuning is like body work, a body shop can have great reviews because the paint looks nice and the body shop treats you well and looks clean...but it doesn't mean that the job was done right.

Quick Reply: Best tuner in the Midwest