Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Can I lock the fob in the car? 2013.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Close to a year after I bought my base '08 C6, I somehow put both fobs in the rear passenger cubby compartment. This was before I put one of the keys in a hide-a-key pouch under the car. So there I was at a friends home and locked out. Fortunately I recalled exactly where one of the keys was in the lidded box in the back. So I ended up cutting a small hole from under the rear car and pulled it out. With a bit of repair work, I sealed it up good as new and hidden. I sure never did that again.
Yep, stuff happens with fobs, that are very unlikely to have ever happened with keys. I too, am going to hide a spare key somewhere outside. Old school, but now that everyone has fobs, a thief probably doesn't search for a hidden key anymore.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Get a key cut and hide it somewhere on the car. It's a non-electronic old school solution to eliminate your fear.

What baffles me, is why you would get out of the car and put a fob (basically a key) in a gym bag in the first place.
see #60.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Sorry if I'm being a little dense here, but if you are not using passive locking, why would you fear the fob being locked inside car?
I think you are correct, I don't have to worry about it, but I don't 100% trust the option selection to do what I have programmed it to do, yet.

It's sort of related to all the "lag" that's built in to these new cars AND OTHER DEVICES.

Push a button, nothing happens, push again it happens 2x. Long press, shrt press, swipe/press wtf who knows. Is the device asleep? Did I set that option correctly, yadayada.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:20 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
You go on a long trip, so you don't need your keys for two weeks. So you put them in your luggage.

Upon arrival back at the airport, you pop the trunk without removing the keys. The luggage is close enough to the rear of the car to use the button on the car.

You put your luggage into the trunk and shut it. Then two seconds later, you realize you do not have the key on you.

Believe me, it could happen.
Yep, poor design GM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:21 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

You go on a long trip, so you don't need your keys for two weeks. So you put them in your luggage.

Upon arrival back at the airport, you pop the trunk without removing the keys. The luggage is close enough to the rear of the car to use the button on the car.

You put your luggage into the trunk and shut it. Then two seconds later, you realize you do not have the key on you.

So it's the cars fault that you locked your fob in the trunk? As soon as you push that button on the hatch you were probably thinking "I wonder if the fob will be detected inside the suitcase." That right there should have reminded you to get the fob out of the suitcase because you'd need it to start the car.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by EVRose
So it's the cars fault that you locked your fob in the trunk? As soon as you push that button on the hatch you were probably thinking "I wonder if the fob will be detected inside the suitcase." That right there should have reminded you to get the fob out of the suitcase because you'd need it to start the car.
Since I started this thread & just want to keep it all friendly & such, speaking for myself I am not "blaming the car" for anything. We all have great cars. Some of us have lot's on our mind besides "if I were my fob, what would I do in this situation?". It's just gotten to be a level more complicated/interesting/unintended consequence ish (pardon THAT sentence construction) with new technology.

Side bar, just read an interesting thing on Quora about how auto pilot cars (think Tesla) may or may not stop depending on what their cameras/radar/software "think" they see ahead.

So let's just post our scenarios and stay happy/friendly. One thing I like so far with the fob vs. my c5 key, is never seeing the "pull key wait 10 seconds" message when the resistor chip starts to wear our (or is it the ignition switch?)

So plusses & minuses as we evolve the automotive machine.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for explaining. I have always used passive lock/unlock so I didn't realize it worked that way. I thought if the hatch was opened (unlocked), then it would stay unlocked until you used the fob to lock it again (when not using passive mode). But I just tested it and it works as you say it does. I guess if I was too worried about it, I would just disable passive unlock as well - problem solved. So now you have 2 solutions, hidden key or disable passive lock/unlock.

Last edited by dmuellenberg; 05-23-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:49 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Did I say it is the car's fault? Or do you regularly go around accusing people of saying things they did not say?

See my signature.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Thanks for explaining. I have always used passive lock/unlock so I didn't realize it worked that way. I thought if the hatch was opened (unlocked), then it would stay unlocked until you used the fob to lock it again (when not using passive mode). But I just tested it and it works as you say it does. I guess if I was too worried about it, I would just disable passive unlock as well - problem solved. So now you have 2 solutions, hidden key or disable passive lock/unlock.
My solution is to always make sure I have the fob before I shut the trunk.

This kind of thing should only happen to a person once.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:55 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Did I say it is the car's fault? Or do you regularly go around accusing people of saying things they did not say?

See my signature.
Settle down Tiger! It was a question, not an accusation. I'm done with this thread.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:22 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

We are all done with this thread

Quick Reply: Can I lock the fob in the car? 2013.