Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Front splitter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:59 PM
gimmie_one
Instructor

Location: OC California ------- A rich man's joke is always funny.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Yeah, which is why I've often thought that if I were to add the ZR1 splitter to my C6Z...I think I'd start with a "practice" splitter first, before going high-end or OE. RPI sells an OE replica for $485, and I've never read a bad thing about quality, fit or finish from them. That would most likely be my first splitter to install. Destroying a $500 splitter, while it would certainly sting, is far better than a $1200 OE splitter. C7 Carbon is another good repro for about $450 I believe.

https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1751
Definitely gotta agree with that. Half a large is enough to absorb. I would be doing that myself if money wasn't so tight right now.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:59 PM
B1RDLAW_Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gimmie_one
All fixed. I love it when I can fix something by using extra parts I have laying around. I will do the plastic fix once I have to replace the splitter. The part I used will give it some serious holding power.

How did you get that piece up within the bumper? Do you have to remove anything other than the splitter? Is it just wedged between the inner part of the bottom fascia and the top of the bolt?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:53 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

https://www.scrapearmor.com/products...e-c6-2005-2013

@$349.00 it’s definitely not a cheap fix, just curious if anyone has tried these yet?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:18 AM
gimmie_one
Instructor

Originally Posted by B1RDLAW_Z06

How did you get that piece up within the bumper? Do you have to remove anything other than the splitter? Is it just wedged between the inner part of the bottom fascia and the top of the bolt?
I unscrewed the splitter just enough (I think 5 screws, leaving a few in each end) to be able to work with the bumper shell. Then I put the clip for the screw onto the metal plate and very carefully placed it inside the bumper shell and carefully moved it into the proper position. Then I carefully aligned the screw from the splitter into the clip and screwed tight. Then I screwed the rest of the screws tight again.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:20 AM
gimmie_one
Instructor

Originally Posted by 73DBG
https://www.scrapearmor.com/products...e-c6-2005-2013

@$349.00 it’s definitely not a cheap fix, just curious if anyone has tried these yet?
I've seen this too and am a little skeptical. Especially for that price.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:02 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

mine has busted the plastic bumper cover as well, someone double sided taped it before remounting it...

I just took it off, driving in downtown and parking garages I decided to forego putting it back on...

contemplating a front cover with aero for track days...

also you should note that the lip puts forces on the bumper cover directly, that's why you see the splitters with reinforcements on track cars

good luck!

-drew

Last edited by drewz06; 07-30-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:33 PM
gimmie_one
Instructor

Originally Posted by drewz06
mine has busted the plastic bumper cover as well, someone double sided taped it before remounting it...

I just took it off, driving in downtown and parking garages I decided to forego putting it back on...

contemplating a front cover with aero for track days...

also you should note that the lip puts forces on the bumper cover directly, that's why you see the splitters with reinforcements on track cars

good luck!

-drew
I'm thinking they could have come up with a better design. A design that doesn't break pieces out of the bumper shell.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:19 PM
B1RDLAW_Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I unscrewed the splitter just enough (I think 5 screws, leaving a few in each end) to be able to work with the bumper shell. Then I put the clip for the screw onto the metal plate and very carefully placed it inside the bumper shell and carefully moved it into the proper position. Then I carefully aligned the screw from the splitter into the clip and screwed tight. Then I screwed the rest of the screws tight again.
interesting, so to access the screw inside the fascia all I need to do is unbolt the splitter? And the extra piece goes between the inside (top) of the splitter and the existing bolt?
Old 07-30-2018, 09:40 PM
gimmie_one
Instructor

Originally Posted by B1RDLAW_Z06

interesting, so to access the screw inside the fascia all I need to do is unbolt the splitter? And the extra piece goes between the inside (top) of the splitter and the existing bolt?
Let me try to clarify further. The normal bumper shell has slots in it. These slots are made to support clips and the clips have a threaded hole for the screws. When the clips are in place, the splitter is screwed to these clips. I call them screws because they look more like screws than bolts.

Actually, the extra piece I used to support the clip was placed on the inside of the bumper shell. That's why I had to be extra careful as I didn't want to bump it and lose it inside the bumper.

I had a hard time finding a good picture. The video below briefly shows the bumper with all the slots that are there to hold the clips.

Last edited by gimmie_one; 07-30-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:55 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm thinking they could have come up with a better design. A design that doesn't break pieces out of the bumper shell.
What kind of design do you think it should be, a tear away splitter that comes off anytime you bump a curb or parking block? No thanks, I will take responsibility if I hit something hard enough to break pieces.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:13 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
What kind of design do you think it should be, a tear away splitter that comes off anytime you bump a curb or parking block? No thanks, I will take responsibility if I hit something hard enough to break pieces.
well i think the sentiment was more to the effect of the fact that the soft plastic bumper cover isn't really strong enough since there's no backing plate that provides any decent support.

i'd have rathered a much more sturdy support structure under the bumper cover to better support the splitter....

just my opinion, but i took mine off for daily driving in a city.

-drew
Old 07-31-2018, 12:49 PM
gimmie_one
Instructor

well i think the sentiment was more to the effect of the fact that the soft plastic bumper cover isn't really strong enough since there's no backing plate that provides any decent support.

i'd have rathered a much more sturdy support structure under the bumper cover to better support the splitter....

-drew
My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:30 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

-drew
I guess you can look at it a couple of different ways. If the bumper cover is more rigid and less flexible, then just bumping a curb will probably break pieces. With a more flexible bumper cover, there is more give and less chance of breaking pieces. JMO
Old 08-01-2018, 09:05 PM
D.Guerra
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a tutorial on how to fix this with washers or anything? My friend didn't care about my splitter when I drove it up the lift. Thx
Old 08-01-2018, 09:13 PM
gimmie_one
Instructor

Originally Posted by D.Guerra
Is there a tutorial on how to fix this with washers or anything? My friend didn't care about my splitter when I drove it up the lift. Thx
You can get a very clear picture of what you are up against if you unscrew enough of the splitter in order to see the underside of the bumper. That's when it became obvious to me. You might want to try the plastic repair compound someone was mentioning on here if you don't want to use washers or the like.

Quick Reply: Front splitter question