Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

PLEASE HELP, another 1st gear grind thread, bad luck with a forum purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:27 PM
Crikk
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP, another 1st gear grind thread, bad luck with a forum purchase.

So here's my story. I've had 2 C5Zs and always wanted a c6z, since they came out. So searching the forum like always I found this car:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-14-500mi.html

it literally was my dream car! Low miles only 14k, built by arguably the top shop to do heads and cam on a c6z. My favorite color, and beautiful aftermarket rims. And only 2.5hrs away. I had to have it! So I sold this car, my last c5z.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-14-500mi.html

sold quick and went and got my dream c6z.

and now my trouble starts. Sadly!

Got it home 3 weeks ago today. Had a great drive home and parked it took it out the next Saturday to go to a car show with my dad and his c7z. I get 6 miles from home and rev it to 6k and shift to 3rd and the clutch pedal sticks to the floor! GRRRRRRR! So I limped it to Chevrolet because it was close. They tell me the clutch master is shot and it would be $1000. So I come home read EVERY thread on the c6 clutch master. I decide to order the tick performance one. I get it over to Chevrolet Thursday night and tell them I really want my car back. They call on Saturday and say they haven't got to it. So now it's Saturday and I have 1.5days to work on it so I have a tow truck take it to my house. I spend 4+ hrs in the garage that night and get it installed. What a PIA! I have it adjusted to what I "think" is right. The pedal is about a 1/2"-3\4" lower then the brake pedal and there is about a 1/2"-3/4" of free play in the top of the pedal.

In the last week, I've driven about 150 miles and everything was great, high rev shifts worked. All gears worked perfectly.

Until last night. Went out for a cruise and everything was fine. After about a hour on the highway I went to turn around and the car grinded trying to go into first at the stop light WTF!!! On the way home it did it a couple more times. took the car out for pizza tonight and it was still doing it.

I have since read EVERY thread about first gear grind. I also ordered some royal purple synchromesh, and will get that changed this weekend. IN all the treads I've read everyone posts here problem very similar to mine but never what fixed it. I know most will say 1st gear synchro, but I have a hard time believing that, the car only has 14k miles, and had zero problems before this. Maybe that's just wishful thinking because I don't want the $$$$ involved with that. But I feel it's got to be something with the master/slave, maybe adjustment, maybe shifter. I don't know what do you guys think?

also noticed today when it grinds the speedo jumps like the problem in the thread, what's up with that?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-grinding.html

Really getting upset here, when I should be on top of the world getting the car I've dreamt of for over a decade. What a joke this whole clutch setup is on these modern corvettes. I have a 00' ranger I bought this year to drive to work and it has 150k miles on it and has zero issues with the clutch/trans/shifter, all original. WTF PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 07-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Welcome to c6z ownership.

Bleed the system again and make sure no air is in it, also make sure the master isn't leaking.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Crikk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Unreal
Welcome to c6z ownership.

Bleed the system again and make sure no air is in it, also make sure the master isn't leaking.

so so you mean like take the line off from the master to the slave line and bleed it again per, ticks instructions? I had to ad maybe a 1/4” of fluid the next day after install and not any after that. The fluid is still clean too
Old 07-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Need to bleed the slave, and without a remote bleeder that is going to be a complete bitch.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Crikk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Unreal
Need to bleed the slave, and without a remote bleeder that is going to be a complete bitch.
ok researching that now, can you explain why that would cause my symptoms
Old 07-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Because if there is air in the system, or a leak, or anything then you can't disengage the clutch fully. Then it will grind. If you keep driving it, it will destroy the syncros.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:33 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Not a fan of the purple stuff. It performed worse than about any other fluid I tried in my old t56 equipped C5Z. Switched to Amsoil torque drive, and also run that in my tr6060 equipped C6Z. Improved cold and warm shifts at all rpm’s.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:37 PM
Crikk
Instructor

Hummm. maybe I’ll try Amsoil, also heard good things about that.

if it was air in the system or a leak wouldn’t it do it with every gear, not just first? Not doubting or arguing, just trying to understand
Old 07-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Crikk
Instructor

I have guys on the z06 FB telling me I have bad bearings in the trans. I find that hard to believe with 14k pretty easy miles
Old 07-08-2018, 11:44 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

if you didn't bleed it at the slave cylinder you most likely have air in the system.it would be like replacing your brake master cylinder,bleeding the master cylinder but not bleeding at the calipers.the air will make its way to the calipers and the brakes wouldn't work right.
bleeding the slave is a pita without a remote bleeder line.

good luck i hope you get it fixed so you can enjoy the car.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:39 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Crikk
Hummm. maybe I’ll try Amsoil, also heard good things about that.
GM, Mobil 1, Synchromax, Synchromesh, Amsoil...Amsoil won by a mile. PM forum member Mordeth (Anthony), he’s an Amsoil dealer and can ship it right to you for a great price.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 07-09-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 AM
Crikk
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonnyc
if you didn't bleed it at the slave cylinder you most likely have air in the system.it would be like replacing your brake master cylinder,bleeding the master cylinder but not bleeding at the calipers.the air will make its way to the calipers and the brakes wouldn't work right.
bleeding the slave is a pita without a remote bleeder line.

good luck i hope you get it fixed so you can enjoy the car.
looks like a total PIA without a lift! Wouldn’t I have an issue in all gears if this was the case?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:58 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

here's my write up on a gm bleed, it's down in the thread... it will take a few hours to perform a service bleed.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...weirdness.html

Last edited by drewz06; 07-09-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:58 AM
Crikk
Instructor

Originally Posted by drewz06
here's my write up on a gm bleed, it's down in the thread... it will take a few hours to perform a service bleed.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...weirdness.html

thank you
Old 07-09-2018, 08:02 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

also, this is one of the sounds your transmission will make if your main shaft bearings are going bad in the t56

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ound-game.html

just had mine replaced under dealer warranty.... and I thought I was going to have problems with the heads lol
Old 07-09-2018, 11:25 AM
carbuff
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Do any of the C6 guys use vacuum to bleed the clutch system? I was introduced to this for my aftermarket master/slave clutch system in my pro-touring car, and it worked wonders! I could never get a good clutch feel by bleeding (and yes, my slave has a bleeder valve). I picked up the Mitivac and bled according to this video, and it really did work great. Also, I followed the suggestion at the end to just touch the pedal to get those little bubbles out of the MC that are trapped near the top.

Watch both:

Note that I had vacuum on the system for about an hour. It's not a 2-minute process. I kept getting minute bubbles the longer I left the vacuum pulling on the system. I would release it and press the pedal to move any bubbles around in the system, then repeat. I suggest giving this a try if you can!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06

:GM, Mobil 1, Synchromax, Synchromesh, Amsoil...Amsoil won by a mile. PM forum member Mordeth (Anthony), he’s an Amsoil dealer and can ship it right to you for a great price.
Amsoil Torque Drive made a big difference for me, and Anthony is a great guy. However, I'd take care of the bleeding process first and see if that fixes the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To PLEASE HELP, another 1st gear grind thread, bad luck with a forum purchase.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Crikk
Instructor

I made an appointment to drop the car off at speed inc here by me. They are gonna blead it at the slave and check the adjustment on the MC. Fingers crossed that’s the issue!
Old 07-09-2018, 07:28 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Beautiful car. Don't get discouraged.
The following users liked this post:
Crikk (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:11 PM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Based on the first symptom before the replacement, you probably could have gotten away with the ranger method for bleeding the clutch. My pedal will stick to the floor occasionally so I purge it every so often and don't have any issues. I agree with others, there is probably air in the system and hopefully should be fixed once bled.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-cure.html

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP, another 1st gear grind thread, bad luck with a forum purchase.