Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Fresh C6 Z06 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:58 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
So all C6 Z06s need to be concerned with their Heads? I am looking at a C6 and if I could find a Z06 in my price range I may go that route; however, if the head issue is that big of a concern perhaps I should just stick with the LS3.

VERY NICE Vette you got there! Congratulations! Hope it brings you ton of joy!
Don't let a couple thousand bucks step in the way of getting the car you really wanted. It's not that big of a deal...
Old 08-28-2018, 05:01 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Price of heads is less than a set of good tires, or a clutch, or many other normal wear items that cost $1000+. If you can't afford an item like a clutch or tires or heads, you should not be buying a z06.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Don't let a couple thousand bucks step in the way of getting the car you really wanted. It's not that big of a deal...
Originally Posted by Unreal
Price of heads is less than a set of good tires, or a clutch, or many other normal wear items that cost $1000+. If you can't afford an item like a clutch or tires or heads, you should not be buying a z06.
It isn’t about affording an item. I am wondering if all C6 Z06es have this issue. Were there any that didn’t and if most did I would think it may have been fixed by now. Will keep that in mind during my search and use that information with my dealings.
Seems sad that the epitome of the bow tie sports car would have heads that need to be included in the regular maintenance. Especially for as long as the Z06 was available. A Couple K in a LS3 would get close to the same performance. Though love the other upgrades the Z06 provided. So not just performance I suppose. Just something I need to keep in mind
Yes, just budget to have it fixed.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:49 PM
thatdudeoverthere21
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman

It isn’t about affording an item. I am wondering if all C6 Z06es have this issue. Were there any that didn’t and if most did I would think it may have been fixed by now. Will keep that in mind during my search and use that information with my dealings.
Seems sad that the epitome of the bow tie sports car would have heads that need to be included in the regular maintenance. Especially for as long as the Z06 was available. A Couple K in a LS3 would get close to the same performance. Though love the other upgrades the Z06 provided. So not just performance I suppose. Just something I need to keep in mind

Yes, it is a bummer that the heads have to be addressed....but you can get to the power so much quicker with the LS7....plus....the Z has some exterior add ons as well. If you can afford the Z....do it, trust me.
The following users liked this post:
SPSandman (09-04-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:54 PM
thatdudeoverthere21
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Nice Vette! Be patient before you start throwing mods its way, or at least so you are certain of the direction you want to go. You can have the heads fix and still retain OE appearance.
Yeah, after talking to a few of my buddies I think I'm just gonna have the guy that my buddies recommend to fix em up. He will port and polish them, drop in new valve springs with new valves. I think the rockers stay. Ls7 rockers are pretty solid from what I've heard. Then I can get them back on the car and get everything looking stock. I do love how everything looks in the engine bay so i wanna try and keep it that way.

I do plan on pulling them off myself, replacing the head studs and letting Mike fix the heads/valves. Plus that should save me a couple bones while i learn a tad bit more about my car.
The following users liked this post:
Ericm1949 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:22 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum! I had to quick go check my garage to see if it was still there.... your car is an identical twin. Atomic Orange '08, chrome split spoke wheels ( which I am desperate to get rid of ). I just got mine this past March. Have not done the heads yet, too busy at work to get organized and find a local shop capable. I have put 2100 miles on it though and great fun!!
Old 08-28-2018, 10:36 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Congratulations! She's a beauty.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:25 AM
mrfreshmint
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, just budget to have it fixed.
I am picking up a C6 Z06 in about 10 days. Could you please tell me where to find out more about this issue? Thank you.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:24 AM
TriSum1
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, get the heads done... trust me. Bone stock 07.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:39 AM
mrfreshmint
Intermediate

So is it the valve springs? The valve heads? What is the actual failure mode?

How accessible is the work, and is it difficult for your run-of-the mill shop to do? What is done to prevent the failure?

Apologies for all the questions; I want to do it right
Old 08-29-2018, 01:48 AM
TriSum1
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfreshmint
So is it the valve springs? The valve heads? What is the actual failure mode?

How accessible is the work, and is it difficult for your run-of-the mill shop to do? What is done to prevent the failure?

Apologies for all the questions; I want to do it right
Mine broke the #3 exhaust valve as you can see in the piston. Cracked the block and trashed the head.

Call AHP to ask what it takes to fix, basically new guides and exhaust valves.

I personally would not have a run-of-the-mill shop do this, but it is basic machine work, (guides).

Old 08-29-2018, 01:54 AM
mrfreshmint
Intermediate

Yep, I see it. You spent 25k on repairing it rather than just buying a crate engine? Wasn’t that more costly?

so it’s an issue with how they were originally machined? Can I just mill them down a bit..?

any idea how long I have to do it/how many c6z06s have this issue? It seems like they all do, but not all present it?

once you fix it, are they good forever? Or they’ll wear unevenly and it’ll Have to be machined again?
Old 08-29-2018, 02:33 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Yep, I see it. You spent 25k on repairing it rather than just buying a crate engine? Wasn’t that more costly?

so it’s an issue with how they were originally machined? Can I just mill them down a bit..?

any idea how long I have to do it/how many c6z06s have this issue? It seems like they all do, but not all present it?

once you fix it, are they good forever? Or they’ll wear unevenly and it’ll Have to be machined again?

None have exact data on what years and how many were impacted. They only way to tell that was if everyone kept their cars stock and let nature run its course.

I purchased an aftermarket warranty and am leaving my car stock.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

All LS7’s are susceptible to premature guide wear. Only way to know if you’re affected is to inspect.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:27 AM
thatdudeoverthere21
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkitt27
Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum! I had to quick go check my garage to see if it was still there.... your car is an identical twin. Atomic Orange '08, chrome split spoke wheels ( which I am desperate to get rid of ). I just got mine this past March. Have not done the heads yet, too busy at work to get organized and find a local shop capable. I have put 2100 miles on it though and great fun!!
She"s still there right?! Haha. Man, I love this orange. Couldn't be happier with it. Is yours 100%bone stock as well??

And man, it's hard to do anything to anything with work so I feel your pain! But that's a decent amount of mileage! Keep up the good work.

Last edited by thatdudeoverthere21; 08-29-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:29 AM
thatdudeoverthere21
Advanced

There is no set date or mileage unfortunately. It's just happens. And it's not under any sort id driving conditions from what I've heard.

I plan to just throw all new parts at the heads and toss them back on. After that the engine should be bullet proof.....unless I decide i want to make stupid power, but that's down the line.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:54 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Great looking Z.. Welcome. I happen to know the guys at THR.. and although they always have some nice cars on the floor they really know nothing about building these. Do yourself a favor, get with Kohle (AHP) of WCCH and pick up a pair. Don't listen to the ney sayers on the forum. Do a search and decide for yourself what is best for you and your car.
GL and welcome.

Get notified of new replies

To Fresh C6 Z06 Owner

Old 08-29-2018, 09:07 AM
thatdudeoverthere21
Advanced

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Great looking Z.. Welcome. I happen to know the guys at THR.. and although they always have some nice cars on the floor they really know nothing about building these. Do yourself a favor, get with Kohle (AHP) of WCCH and pick up a pair. Don't listen to the ney sayers on the forum. Do a search and decide for yourself what is best for you and your car.
GL and welcome.
Definitely really nice guys! And their shop/cars were awesome. But yeah, kind of a bummer what they had mentioned just a load of BS. No worries. But for sure! I will do some research on those guys and I'll look around on some forums. I'm sure I'll make a post when I pull the trigger.

Thank you and much appreciated!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:20 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by thatdudeoverthere21
She"s still there right?! Haha. Man, I love this orange. Couldn't be happier with it. Is yours 100%bone stock as well??

And man, it's hard to do anything to anything with work so I feel your pain! But that's a decent amount of mileage! Keep up the good work.
Yes, bone stock as far as I know. No mods externally visible so suspect prior owner didn't mod internals. Its hard not to drive it... and here in MN have to stop when November hits so taking any opportunity. expect I'll have the head work done before the end of this fall.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:28 PM
thatdudeoverthere21
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkitt27
Yes, bone stock as far as I know. No mods externally visible so suspect prior owner didn't mod internals. Its hard not to drive it... and here in MN have to stop when November hits so taking any opportunity. expect I'll have the head work done before the end of this fall.
I feel ya. Like....I know it's in the garage so I have the need to drive it. In my opinion, I think it's good its bone stock. That's what I was intentionally looking for. I dont ever plan on getting rid of my Z so whatever aftermarket goes on it....I know the history of it all where if you buy something already modded......well.

I was thinking of taking the risk and driving the vette till the weather wont allow me to....then over the winter, collecting all the parts and just doing everything in the beginning of the year after snow. But ehhhh. Money is also a factor. Gotta make sure bills get paid haha.

Quick Reply: Fresh C6 Z06 Owner