Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New owner of a Z06!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:57 PM
mrfreshmint
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New owner of a Z06!

I bought this guy's Z that I found on this forum: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mans-blue.html

We met up in Pittsburgh, I did a pre-purchase inspection, test drive, and then we transferred the title!

I have since put almost 1000 miles on the car (in about a week). I found a shop to do the valves for $2,500, which will include the following body of work: https://imgur.com/a/RwtrsOo
Does this sound like a good deal to you guys? Seems pretty fair to me. I found another shop that had quoted me $4,500. I'm wondering how much of that $2,500 will be recouped if/when I go to sell the car.

https://imgur.com/c3xcWD1
https://imgur.com/YQpSrST
https://imgur.com/UJURUXx
https://imgur.com/EQyg0EC

It has been a ton of fun to drive. Unfortunately, due to work, I won't have the chance to get in it for another few weeks. It's also filthy from my inaugural drive (in the rain!) so I have a litany of cleaning products on the way.

LASTLY, the only thing that actually bugs me about the interior is the steering wheel. It is pretty ugly, but more importantly has poor grip. Has anyone upgraded theirs, either with a wrap or a full assembly?

Anyway, wanted to share!

Last edited by mrfreshmint; 09-20-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 09-20-2018, 01:05 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Congrats on the beautiful LMB Z06! Great looking color.

I think that is a solid price for the job. Having that work done will definitely be beneficial to you if you decide to sell. I bought my 08 Z06 here on the forums as well and I was never even interested in one that didn't have the heads fixed already. I was terrified at the thought of a valve dropping on the way home before I could address it .

Enjoy it and welcome to the forums!
Old 09-20-2018, 01:41 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Clean, good looking C6Z! The head work is worth it...think more about the fact that you're protecting your investment, rather than thinking about getting reimbursed for it by the next guy.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:47 PM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

welcome to the 427 family
The following users liked this post:
mrfreshmint (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:14 PM
mrfreshmint
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Congrats on the beautiful LMB Z06! Great looking color.

I think that is a solid price for the job. Having that work done will definitely be beneficial to you if you decide to sell. I bought my 08 Z06 here on the forums as well and I was never even interested in one that didn't have the heads fixed already. I was terrified at the thought of a valve dropping on the way home before I could address it .

Enjoy it and welcome to the forums!
Thank you! Once I realized Lemans Blue was an option on the car, I considered it a prerequisite. Very understated, but looks incredible, especially when clean.

May I ask what you bought your z06 for, and what miles it was at? Curious how much you paid for in the valve work.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:15 PM
mrfreshmint
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Clean, good looking C6Z! The head work is worth it...think more about the fact that you're protecting your investment, rather than thinking about getting reimbursed for it by the next guy.
Thank you, and I appreciate that perspective.

Now, I've read that due to the angle/geometry that the valves are at, the wear will happen over time again, and that the valve work is more of a maintenance item than a "one and done" fix-it. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:24 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfreshmint
Thank you, and I appreciate that perspective.

Now, I've read that due to the angle/geometry that the valves are at, the wear will happen over time again, and that the valve work is more of a maintenance item than a "one and done" fix-it. Does anyone know if this is true?
If the machine shop does a proper valve job, eliminates the excessive guide to seat runout, the heads exhibit an ideal wipe pattern, and you stay with the stock cam (or away from excessively high lift aftermarket cams), there's no reason you shouldn't get acceptable mileage out of your heads. Valve guides are a wear item like brakes, etc; but no reason we cant see 100K miles out of a street driven C6Z on a stock cam with properly fixed heads.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:05 PM
keithhogan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Happen to love my LM Blue. Great looking - especially in the sunshine.
Taking mine in for the head fix in two weeks.

FYI - my est was $,2700 with the difference being primarily being I am adding a new lifter set.
So basically the same price.

GOOD LUCK and ENJOY
Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 PM
slappy3347
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Beautiful car. Congratulations!

I was going to get LMB but '07 was the last year for it. I got the Corsa sport exhaust on my car and just love it. Big improvement over stock. I spent around $4k getting the heads done on my car. I really enjoy the peace of mind it brings. I can drive the car now without worrying about the motor grenading.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Pull heads, send to AI, and then throw heads back on. New lifters, upgrade trunnions, new headgaskets, and call it a day.

If you decide to do any more, the snowball effect will kick in and out the money will go!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:00 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome! Nice color. Better to have it dirty and driving it than clean but sitting idle.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 AM
GoVolsZ06
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That’s a good price. I had my heads ported and milled with the fixed valves as well as a halltech intake and a street/dyno tune and spent 4800. Well worth it though. Had some nice gains.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:13 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Very nice.. Welcome.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:18 AM
TomcatMF
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice. LMB is the best color IMO.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Formula8
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Price seems very fair for the work. Some things to consider though are what is being done with those Ti intake valves to ensure they are compatible with a bronze valve guide? Also, there are lots of different composition "bronze" guides. My understanding is CHE is the go to brand. I would also like to know about the Si exhaust valve. How light is "lightweight"? My stock push rods were too long for my application, I would not be surprised if when you were done, you found out yours were too. Finally, there are multiple instances of LS7 lifter failure on this forum. Many have luck with them but it is too hit and miss for me though. As stated above, while the heads are off, I would seriously consider a lifter upgrade over the LS7 lifter as well as a trunnion upgrade (I would go with the bushing type) as you have a 2006.

Last edited by Formula8; 09-21-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New owner of a Z06!

Quick Reply: New owner of a Z06!