Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How to remove/install brake cooling inserts

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:12 PM
jorge18
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How to remove/install brake cooling inserts

Hi all,

Does anyone know how these inserts come out? Do I just pull them out or is it held on by some clips that can break?

Old 11-19-2018, 12:31 PM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Can’t remember for sure but I think they just snap into a separate plastic piece that sandwiches the fender between them.

Last edited by shane p; 11-19-2018 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jorge18 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Formula8
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shane p
Can’t remember for sure but I think they just snap into a separate plastic piece that sandwiches the fender between them.
Pretty much. You need to remove your fender liner, then it is a two piece deal. The retainer which goes inside the fender needs to be compressed (or expanded, I don't remember) which will release the vent which is on the outside of the fender. It's all 10 year old GM plastic so you want to be careful with it but the first side took me about 20 mins to figure out, the second I was done in like 5 including removing the tire. Hard to describe but once you see how it goes together, it is easy.
The following users liked this post:
jorge18 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM
jorge18
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula8
Pretty much. You need to remove your fender liner, then it is a two piece deal. The retainer which goes inside the fender needs to be compressed (or expanded, I don't remember) which will release the vent which is on the outside of the fender. It's all 10 year old GM plastic so you want to be careful with it but the first side took me about 20 mins to figure out, the second I was done in like 5 including removing the tire. Hard to describe but once you see how it goes together, it is easy.
Thanks!

Do you think there's any way to do this without taking the tire off?
Old 11-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by jorge18
Have to remove fender liner for access to inner clips.
No better way unless a contortionist.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:37 PM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

I think the piece inside the fender needs spread open. The part in the picture above has the looking tabs on it.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:45 AM
rh96ss
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jorge18
Thanks!

Yes if you are not reusing the ones you remove and are installing new ones. New inserts are pretty cheap.

I used a hack saw blade and cut the middle plastic piece then snapped it off. After that you can squeeze the duct which releases clips and pull out.

Look at this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tall-help.html

EDIT - the above is for the rear brake intake vent not the front, sorry.

What I found for the front fender vent, Post 11 in https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1573086317:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemagoo In the service manual it's referred to as "Front Fender Ornament".

Raise and support vehicle.
Remove the front wheel and tire.
Remove the rear portion of the front wheelhouse liner.
Remove the fender ornament from the inside of the wheelhouse opening by releasing the three integral tabs on the inboard side of the front fender ornament.

Hope that helps get you started.

For the front vents, this is not necessary. All I did is use a credit card to slide between the vent and duct. There are 4 clips that hold the black insert in place. I also put blue painter's tape around the vent on the painted areas to prevent any accidental scratching of the paint. The 4 clips are located about 1/4 way down on each side. You can locate them when you slide the credit card down one side. Once the tabs are all released, the vent pops out easily and the new one snaps in.

Last edited by rh96ss; 11-20-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Nice job.
From the pic it looks like they came from Cultrag?
Went to Cultrag's website, couldn't find 'em so where does one source these things?

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove/install brake cooling inserts

Quick Reply: [Z06] How to remove/install brake cooling inserts