Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MSD Airforce intake PSA

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:45 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Default MSD Airforce intake PSA

Hi everyone.

I've had my Mamo ported MSD intake for a few years, and I've always had trouble with the bolts coming loose, re-tightening them by feel (way past the torque spec, but not too much for the bolt "gutentite").

I had the car apart to check for engine health (less than 5% leakdown across the board! ) and I noticed the MSD throttle body flange was rubbing on the water pump. I had originally ground down the flange a little bit, but it seems like the last time I had the heads off for a refresh, the distance had closed. It was rubbing bad!

I removed about .040" total material from the aluminum water pump housing. I did it slowly, and little by little, marking with paint pen each time I felt a catch on the feeler gauge. I fitted the intake back up almost 10 times before I got it to where there was a clear .020" gap (to allow for expansion) between the downward slope edge of the housing and the TB flange. The OEM ported throttle body does curve up after the flange, so there was no need to remove material forward past the flange. If you have a larger TB or spacer, you might want to check on that as well.

I haven't had the car running too long, but the idle quality seems much improved. I will monitor my LTFTs and see if they are better than previous logs I have collected, but I think this was the right move.

About the torques- I think the torque specs in the manual are very conservative. Although I could be wrong, hand tightening until resistance is felt should give a good seal without breaking any of the bolts. The worst part about these intakes are the gaskets. They are so flimsy and get cut really easily. I'm sure I have a leak here and there, but it's been factored into the tune. (I say that jokingly, I've smoke tested it ) I always get worried about removing an injector, those integrated shell gasket o-rings always rip.

Anyone else have experiences with these intakes and tips for gasket maintenance?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:07 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

Sell it and buy something else.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:12 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jayyyw
I'm good, thanks for dropping in
The following users liked this post:
ElisTwoCents (06-07-2020)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:18 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

If you still have the intake off, I would check the 2 nuts inside that hold the runners together. The last time I took my intake off, the front nut was already backing out.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I use RTV under the heads of the intake to head bolts. Never gets lose, never leaks (no, I dont trust the little o-rings on the bolts to seal properly).
Old 01-28-2019, 12:57 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

If you still have the intake off, I would check the 2 nuts inside that hold the runners together. The last time I took my intake off, the front nut was already backing out.
Yes I hand tightened it until it wouldn't spin anymore. The Nylon lock nut is pretty tight now. It wasn't loose before though.

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I use RTV under the heads of the intake to head bolts. Never gets lose, never leaks (no, I dont trust the little o-rings on the bolts to seal properly).
That's a neat idea. The bolts definitely are not concentric to the intake since it's plastic and it bends when installed. So I could see the merit to doing that.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:01 PM
RobGOV-DCZ
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Old 01-28-2019, 01:39 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I have never had an issues with mine coming lose that I know of. The shop that did the work used locktight on the bolts to keep them from backing out.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:57 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by freddyvette
I'm good, thanks for dropping in
he’s right - garbage, msd should improve it and take vers 1 off the market. I sold mine due to headaches
Old 01-28-2019, 03:01 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RedZ4me

he’s right - garbage, msd should improve it and take vers 1 off the market. I sold mine due to headaches
I'm not one of those whiny babies that give up as soon as something doesn't work for them. Aftermarket isn't always going to be plug and play. If you're the type of person that pays someone else to do your work for you, sure, go ahead and sell your car and buy one that came with a supercharger from the factory. As for myself, I've been pleased with the performance increase. And I hear the other aftermarket intakes have problems too.
The following 2 users liked this post by freddyvette:
Che70velle (01-29-2019), ElisTwoCents (06-07-2020)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:22 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

I'm not one of those whiny babies that give up as soon as something doesn't work for them. Aftermarket isn't always going to be plug and play. If you're the type of person that pays someone else to do your work for you, sure, go ahead and sell your car and buy one that came with a supercharger from the factory. As for myself, I've been pleased with the performance increase. And I hear the other aftermarket intakes have problems too.
sell the car?? I suggested sell the intake. Take a chill pill but keep the tools with you - you’ll need them lol
Old 01-29-2019, 01:34 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

sell the car?? I suggested sell the intake. Take a chill pill but keep the tools with you - you’ll need them lol
Really, cause that seems to be exactly what you did.

Why are you even in this thread? You're not bringing anything to the conversation. This is a thread on how to make an MSD intake work better. Do you know how?
Old 01-29-2019, 05:52 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Love my Mamo ported MSD, so what, its a little bit of work, picked up a good amount of HP/TQ

Not another intake on the market produces these gains

Nice thread freddyvette, hatters going to hate
Che70velle (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:29 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

The intake clearance in the front is a common problem I had to grind mine too. What might have been happening is you might have had a slight leak as the front seals might not have been fully engage as the manifold was held up by the water pump/TB interference. All it would of taken is for them to raise the TB intake hole about 1/8 of an inch and this would not have been a problem.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:17 AM
whitec5sc
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

I also had clearance issue with msd. I shaved down both the msd and some of the water pump. When manifold was tightened down I was able to just fit a piece of paper in between the two.

Also what I did.. I put a dab of arp assembly lube on mani bolts going into head. I followed torque sequence but tightened to where I felt was tight with a 1/4 drive ratchet. Torque specs def too low and I didn’t like the idea of loc rite or Rtv, because you will break the seal when re tightening bolts. The manifold def gets loose. It became a maintenance thing for me and I would check bolts every 5 or 6 times I took the car out.. eventually they were tight and never moved again.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 AM
TOM WELCH
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

custom is custom, it never works the same twice. We ALL know this. Expect to have issues to deal with and get after it. Hot rodders back in the day had to make a lot of their own stuff. We don't have that issue any longer, and some of us get lazy as a result. But, to each his own, im looking forward to getting my Mamo msd intake, imperfections and all.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:09 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Really, cause that seems to be exactly what you did.

Why are you even in this thread? You're not bringing anything to the conversation. This is a thread on how to make an MSD intake work better. Do you know how?
yes, exactly what I did Lol. Bye 👋

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Airforce intake PSA

Old 01-30-2019, 10:45 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

yes, exactly what I did Lol. Bye 👋

ElisTwoCents (06-07-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 05:17 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I read so many complaints on the Fast 102 LSXR intakes, and now the MSD sounds similar, I have had great results with my fast, Yes you have to check the tq bolts time to time, but to me that's the beauty of working on your own car, and the hobby itself. A lot of gratitude in finding and fixing parts yourself.

Last edited by corvet786c; 05-08-2020 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:31 AM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a formula mechanics have to determine how much must be milled of the intake side of the heads to allow proper port alignment when the head surface is milled more than just a cleanup pass. You also have to machine the bottom of the intake as it drops more than you would imagine. The formula also varies depending on the intake/manifold angle. If you have fixed rockers you have to shim or compensate them as well.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MSD Airforce intake PSA