Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Zr1 reliable

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:40 PM
greekc6
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Zr1 reliable

Hey guys I’ve been outta the Vette scene a little and thinking of jumping in a c6zr1 or c7 grandsport. I recently started hearing about the zr1 heads failing like the ls7’s have. Can anyone confirm or inform me a little about this? Thanks

Last edited by greekc6; 01-29-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:01 AM
MontanaZR1
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

While they say they have found guide issues when torn down, there just isn't enough miles on these cars yet. None have FAILED I.E. engine failure that I know of. I have one and I have ZERO concerns at this point and I would NOT let that sway a decision.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:50 AM
71HO454
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ZR1 all day!!
The following users liked this post:
RedZ4me (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:59 AM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

My 2011 JSB 3ZR has 24,000 miles and it's flawless however I'm starting to hear my super charger coupler making a slight noise. This is a relatively easy fix if you have to do it. In my opinion the C7 has way too many gadgets and gizmos to go wrong and the ZR1, once again in my opinion, will hold it's value better than the C7 GS. I say ZR1 without hesitation.
Do a search on this forum for high mileage ZR1's. One member has over 102,000 miles on his without any major issues.

Last edited by GMJim; 01-30-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:47 AM
quickone87
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 2010 ZR1 with 64k snapped the plastic timing chain tensioner. didnt make a sound, just lost oil pressure and by that time the damage was pretty bad. sucks because there really isnt much you can do to prevent it other that taking it apart and putting the LS2 style tensioner in. still LOVE my car though
Old 01-30-2019, 03:18 PM
OhhhApieceOfCandy
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't find it now but I remember reading a thread on here where someone compiled 10+ LS9 head failures. This is the best I could find on short notice: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-failure.html

I think the LS9 heads have a problem but fail at a lower rate for a few reasons:

1) Fewer cars to blow up
2) The cars get driven less
3) Fewer people swap cams on LS9s which accentuates the issue on LS7s
The following users liked this post:
grinder11 (08-08-2023)
Old 01-30-2019, 05:22 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

While some will argue that the LS7 head failures have been way blown out of the proportion, I definitely think that reports of the LS9 being even remotely as bad are ridiculous. The LS9 is based off the LS3 which everyone knows was practically bulletproof. Have there been failures? I'm sure. Have they even been worth charting? Questionable at best.

I put my money where my mouth was with my ZR1. I previously owned a 2013 427 and splurged on a $2200 GMEPP warranty due to my concerns with the engine failures. After selling it and buying my 2011 ZR1, the thought hasn't even crossed my mind to buy any sort of warranty on it.

As with almost any engine failure, people tend to get a skewed reality of how many affected cars there are with such issues. The reason? 9 times out of 10, people don't say anything when their car works as expected. That means you're flooded with endless posts of issues, and the first thing you think is WOW this car has some serious issues. That is, until you realize that the gobs and gobs of people that don't have issues just don't say anything at all. Again, a skewed picture.

Don't be afraid of the LS9 as it's a rock solid engine on it's own, but when compared to the LS7 (which, again, has been blown out of proportion), it's not even on the same page in terms of reliability.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

here is my reference thread (with list attached) on the C-F reported LS9 valve-train issue...

Gary

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-the-cf.html
Old 01-31-2019, 11:23 AM
Bigjsn250
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
While some will argue that the LS7 head failures have been way blown out of the proportion, I definitely think that reports of the LS9 being even remotely as bad are ridiculous. The LS9 is based off the LS3 which everyone knows was practically bulletproof. Have there been failures? I'm sure. Have they even been worth charting? Questionable at best.

I put my money where my mouth was with my ZR1. I previously owned a 2013 427 and splurged on a $2200 GMEPP warranty due to my concerns with the engine failures. After selling it and buying my 2011 ZR1, the thought hasn't even crossed my mind to buy any sort of warranty on it.

As with almost any engine failure, people tend to get a skewed reality of how many affected cars there are with such issues. The reason? 9 times out of 10, people don't say anything when their car works as expected. That means you're flooded with endless posts of issues, and the first thing you think is WOW this car has some serious issues. That is, until you realize that the gobs and gobs of people that don't have issues just don't say anything at all. Again, a skewed picture.

Don't be afraid of the LS9 as it's a rock solid engine on it's own, but when compared to the LS7 (which, again, has been blown out of proportion), it's not even on the same page in terms of reliability.
Exactly! Add to this that people usually don't want to tell you about the time they were at 6500rpms in second and shifted into first gear instead of third, or missed a shift and revved the car to the moon etc. etc.

As for the LS7, well I will just say that the "wiggle" test is done incorrectly a LARGE percentage of the time, if it is even done at all. You pull your Z06 into most shops and say "I'm worried about the valve issue these cars have, please check the guides", you are going to be told they are out of spec. Whether that's an incorrectly done test or just someone taking advantage, who knows. You are taking your car to a place that stays open by selling parts and service and asking their opinion about a fairly complicated test that require's parts and service, think about it.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 AM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

I am 500 miles short of 30K and my 2012 Centennial ZR1 has been flawless. I also drove my Z06 up to 49K miles before trading it in. Never had any issues, never had the guides checked.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:58 PM
bitpilot
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21

you gotta stop putting ls3 and bulletproof in the same sentence bc they arent
Old 08-08-2023, 07:59 AM
Heatman
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-zr1-pics.html

Get notified of new replies

To Zr1 reliable

Quick Reply: Zr1 reliable