Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

Exhaust leak noise

Old 02-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Zo6chip

Default Exhaust leak noise

i posted this once before but still chasing this noise. It sounds like a exhaust leak at the head under a load at low rpms but I donít see any burn marks around the header flange. No ticking at idle. Second gear low speed under a medium load and this terrable sound almost like one cylinder is leaking exhaust. Donít see anything around the flange or collector. It did it with corsa cans and no cats and now I have stock NPP cans still no cats and it still makes that noise.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:38 PM
03BlkZ
CF Senior Member

Almost sounds to me like you are hearing the lifters or valvetrain. I can hear valvetrain at slow speeds in 2nd gear when cruising around the city streets. Even after doing my heads.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Zo6chip

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ View Post
Almost sounds to me like you are hearing the lifters or valvetrain. I can hear valvetrain at slow speeds in 2nd gear when cruising around the city streets. Even after doing my heads.
this sound only happens when you are on the gas at low rpms and you have the engine under a load. Itís most apparent in second gear. Itís loud and has a glass pack muffler sound but coming from the engine area. Thought it was because I was not running cats but I talked to others who donít have them and they donít have this sound.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Nowanker
CF Senior Member

I use a stethoscope with an open tube to probe for that type of sound. A piece of vacuum hose on the end works pretty well. Probe around the flanges, it'll pick up minor exhaust leaks pretty well.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:23 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker View Post
I use a stethoscope with an open tube to probe for that type of sound. A piece of vacuum hose on the end works pretty well. Probe around the flanges, it'll pick up minor exhaust leaks pretty well.

In fact, I think Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive one for like $5.

OP, you have LT's?

Last edited by MTPZ06; 02-05-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Zo6chip

I did the test with the vacuum blowing in the exhaust pipe and spraying soapy water on the leaking area. It was foaming bubbles everywhere. I read that the GM gasket was the best but when I removed the gasket it was the same GM ones I ordered. I didn’t see much burn marks around the head. Is there a better gasket.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Zo6chip

I feel stupid. The noise I’ve been hearing was the shifter clicking. I heard the noise today and I happen to have pressure on the shifter and I could feel the clicking in the handle. I made it so it again and I pulled the shifter toward me and the noise quit. It’s the damn shifter all this time. Can’t believe I didn’t know this before.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:45 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zo6chip View Post
I did the test with the vacuum blowing in the exhaust pipe and spraying soapy water on the leaking area. It was foaming bubbles everywhere. I read that the GM gasket was the best but when I removed the gasket it was the same GM ones I ordered. I didnít see much burn marks around the head. Is there a better gasket.
Remflex.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust leak noise

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: