Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Exhaust leak noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Zo6chip
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust leak noise

i posted this once before but still chasing this noise. It sounds like a exhaust leak at the head under a load at low rpms but I don’t see any burn marks around the header flange. No ticking at idle. Second gear low speed under a medium load and this terrable sound almost like one cylinder is leaking exhaust. Don’t see anything around the flange or collector. It did it with corsa cans and no cats and now I have stock NPP cans still no cats and it still makes that noise.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:38 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

Almost sounds to me like you are hearing the lifters or valvetrain. I can hear valvetrain at slow speeds in 2nd gear when cruising around the city streets. Even after doing my heads.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Zo6chip
Advanced

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ
Almost sounds to me like you are hearing the lifters or valvetrain. I can hear valvetrain at slow speeds in 2nd gear when cruising around the city streets. Even after doing my heads.
this sound only happens when you are on the gas at low rpms and you have the engine under a load. It’s most apparent in second gear. It’s loud and has a glass pack muffler sound but coming from the engine area. Thought it was because I was not running cats but I talked to others who don’t have them and they don’t have this sound.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:33 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

I use a stethoscope with an open tube to probe for that type of sound. A piece of vacuum hose on the end works pretty well. Probe around the flanges, it'll pick up minor exhaust leaks pretty well.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:23 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I use a stethoscope with an open tube to probe for that type of sound. A piece of vacuum hose on the end works pretty well. Probe around the flanges, it'll pick up minor exhaust leaks pretty well.

In fact, I think Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive one for like $5.

OP, you have LT's?

Last edited by MTPZ06; 02-05-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:24 PM
Zo6chip
Advanced

I did the test with the vacuum blowing in the exhaust pipe and spraying soapy water on the leaking area. It was foaming bubbles everywhere. I read that the GM gasket was the best but when I removed the gasket it was the same GM ones I ordered. I didn’t see much burn marks around the head. Is there a better gasket.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Zo6chip
Advanced

I feel stupid. The noise I’ve been hearing was the shifter clicking. I heard the noise today and I happen to have pressure on the shifter and I could feel the clicking in the handle. I made it so it again and I pulled the shifter toward me and the noise quit. It’s the damn shifter all this time. Can’t believe I didn’t know this before.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:45 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Zo6chip
I did the test with the vacuum blowing in the exhaust pipe and spraying soapy water on the leaking area. It was foaming bubbles everywhere. I read that the GM gasket was the best but when I removed the gasket it was the same GM ones I ordered. I didn’t see much burn marks around the head. Is there a better gasket.
Remflex.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:17 PM
Zo6chip
Advanced

Kooks tells me that to install their system you tighten the x pipe at the collector and then tighten the headers at the head. He said it was in the instructions but I don’t see anything like that in the instructions. Anyone ever heard of this. Just don’t seem right to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust leak noise

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak noise