Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need help! Motor is tough to start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Hischar
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help! Motor is tough to start...

Title says it all, I'm having a tough time starting my car at what seems to be random moments. My motor is fully built n/a LME 440, compression is 11.8, and a pretty hefty cam. When the car has been off for a while (a few days or more), it starts up with relatively no issue. Then I'll go ahead and drive it and get it warm, shut it off, give it time to cool and then it'll take a good 5 seconds or so to start, and it barely starts. I thought it was the starter because I know of that whole issue but I had the started tested and it tested fine (also installed a heat shield and the problem still exists). Funny thing is though is once the car finally does start I can shut it off and start it again pretty much immediately with no issue at all. So I'm wondering if I have a fuel issue or something? The motor is running really rich right now for a break in period by the way. Anyone have any idea where to go from here?
Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Slow crank, or cranking normally for those 5 seconds until it fires? When it does fire, you say "it barely starts"...does it run rough for any period of time?
Old 04-17-2019, 06:05 PM
spartan8270
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Try cleaning the large ground next to the starter going to the block then to the frame.

Last edited by spartan8270; 04-17-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:13 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Hischar
Title says it all, I'm having a tough time starting my car at what seems to be random moments. My motor is fully built n/a LME 440, compression is 11.8, and a pretty hefty cam. When the car has been off for a while (a few days or more), it starts up with relatively no issue. Then I'll go ahead and drive it and get it warm, shut it off, give it time to cool and then it'll take a good 5 seconds or so to start, and it barely starts. I thought it was the starter because I know of that whole issue but I had the started tested and it tested fine (also installed a heat shield and the problem still exists). Funny thing is though is once the car finally does start I can shut it off and start it again pretty much immediately with no issue at all. So I'm wondering if I have a fuel issue or something? The motor is running really rich right now for a break in period by the way. Anyone have any idea where to go from here?
Need more info like defining "hard to start" and "barely starts." Does the starter turn the engine over at a normal speed, but you have an extended period of time before it actually starts running or does it crank very slow (as if a battery was low on charge) and then eventually start cranking fast enough to start?

Also, I didn't think a really rich running engine was a good idea during break in, especially when trying to get rings to seat.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 AM
KurtsZ06
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

If it grinds like a low battery, then it’s an ECU timing issue at warm start. Timing is to far advanced for a hot start. Dealt with this in the past. I’m assuming yours got a tune, part of the tune needs tweaking.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:22 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Need more info like defining "hard to start" and "barely starts." Does the starter turn the engine over at a normal speed, but you have an extended period of time before it actually starts running or does it crank very slow (as if a battery was low on charge) and then eventually start cranking fast enough to start?

Also, I didn't think a really rich running engine was a good idea during break in, especially when trying to get rings to seat.
If the starting system is healthy, it's a tune issue (very common!)

Get notified of new replies

To Need help! Motor is tough to start...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need help! Motor is tough to start...