Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] C8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:34 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by VelocityC6z
Freddy, the C6 is a drivers car. It’s what most of us in the C1-C6 crowd admire about the corvette. The tail lights, the raw power. It feels like a corvette, it’s unmistakable with or without badges, THIS is a corvette... the L88 in ‘67, an overpowered 427 engine on a 3300 pound car... the LS7 in our C6 Z06’s, an overpowered 427 engine on a 3300 pound car. The resemblance is inside and out through history...

The changes in the C7 were too much, too soon, for many of us. This doesn’t mean we’re jealous, or in denial. I pulled up behind a camo C8 and ignored it entirely because I thought it was a camaro with a wrap.... when it took a turn at the light and I realized it was a C8, at first I immediately wanted to turn around... then I realized I just mistook what should have been the most exciting car on the road to me, for a camaro... so I let it go.

Don’t get me wrong, if I had the extra cash laying around, I would buy a C8 Z06... but that’s purely because I love corvettes, and the same reason I would buy a c7 Z06, knowing full well it has cooling problems. I want one of every generation.

But like many others, I too also feel like the last true corvette was the C6.
I think you misunderstood me. You're completely right, people are entitled to their opinion and some people like the classic style versus new designs. That's all fine with me.

However,this post is absolutely a childish cry for attention.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:29 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by CBMZR1
Who else could really care less about this car?
Mid engine, drastic design change, smaller displacement.. Perhaps I have become a little jaded with my recent ZR1 purchase. But I really don't see the big "to do" about this car.

If I am being honest, the C7 platform has grown on me. (Z06/ZR1/GS) not enough to buy one though.

The lines of both the C5Z/6Z's are timeless. GM knocked a home run with the wide body C6Z's. I am not convinced the C8's will do the same.

Is it just me?

C7 does nothing for me, slow AF in every iteration and gets drug by literally everything else on the road.
My only problem with the C5/6 is the **** interior. The C7 finally addressed this but still comes up short compared to a gen 5 viper.
Be interesting to see the C8 interior and if they put the car on slimfast.

3700lb C7? GTFOH
The following users liked this post:
TXGS507 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 PM
Millenium Z06

Originally Posted by bptuner
I am excited to see how GM has advanced the performance of the car in a whole. The c6 is raw and powerful, the c7 is has downforce and manages the power a little better. What will the c8 bring to the table?

HP isn't everything dodge learned that by building a heavy a car with enormous power, even the C7zr has more power then it can handle. I hate to say it but they are no match for a car that that has great balance between power/traction/weight this I have learned from recent track days.

Those who don't track against these other cars or drive there cars hard have no idea and only car about styling or bragging rights. looky, looky what im driving

Well you have a valid point, the very people you talk about represent a very small minority of the people who buy these cars and all they really care about is to be able to "talk".

As as for Dodge, I disagree. The lesson the day of learn is a more power you put in a car the more of the cars that you will sell. And be realistic for what 99% of these cars are used for Dodge is doing very well with these cars. Corvette guys like to talk about "take the car down a twisty road" but how many of them actually do it or could do it?
The reality of it is the Charger and the Challenger are very capable and no less capable than the Corvette for the way the majority of Corvettes are used.
The following 2 users liked this post by Millenium Z06:
TXGS507 (07-10-2019), WA 2 FST (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:36 PM
Millenium Z06

Originally Posted by KurtsZ06
“”Those who don't track against these other cars or drive there cars hard have no idea and only car about styling or bragging rights. looky, looky what im driving””

How true. Whenever I see a super car, ( Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche Turbo, etc ). .. I wonder how many ever see the track. Most are paying the $200,000 plus price of entry so that they “look” good, important, powerful.
The C6 Z06 and ZR1 are sledgehammers, that also do a great job of sending home the finish nails.

As for a previous comment that people people couldn’t give “two *****” about the C6 performance coupes ... I’ll beg to differ. I get compliments almost daily, from all ages.
Today at the gas pump a dude in a BMW M6 asked what year, what engine bla bla bla. Then, the inevitable question about power. After answering 650 HP, the convo came to an end.
Mustang guys say the same thing about Corvette guys.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

That is your Opinion, interpretation A**hole.... and although entitled nobody else in this thread who's commented sees it that way. Its only you...
Again, who is the one seeking attention...? Well, now you have it yet again... Keep on...

By all means... entertain us Freddy....

Originally Posted by freddyvette
I think you misunderstood me. You're completely right, people are entitled to their opinion and some people like the classic style versus new designs. That's all fine with me.

However,this post is absolutely a childish cry for attention.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

The C8 still does nothing for me...
Old 07-09-2019, 10:53 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

No, better yet... Go sit in the corner until I TELL you that you can come out.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Default 1,000 hp

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250
The C8 wide body will probably change your mind when it arrives in a few years. Add turbos, AWD and a couple of electric motors up front and the ZR1 version is going to be ridiculous. Not sure I'll be able to afford it when it first comes out but I'll have one eventually.

The world will see a factory 1,000 HP car in the Corvette.... ZR1. 800 HP from the engine and two 100 HP electric motors powering the front wheels.

Love my C6ZR1 but we will see the day where 638 HP will be referred to "only 638". Hard to believe.

Need to see the C8 in person and then have time to digest the platform. Trying to keep an open mind and hope love at first site will happen just like it did on the C6ZR1.
TXGS507 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:19 AM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm thinking about picking up a C8 in the near future if I like it when I see one close up. Was thinking to trade my ZR1 on a huracan about 6 months ago but decided to wait and see what the C8 has to offer. If I do decide to pick up a new vette the ZR1 stays also, shes nightrace blue metallic, 1 of 54
Carbon108 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by CBMZR1
Who else could really care less about this car?
Mid engine, drastic design change, smaller displacement.. Perhaps I have become a little jaded with my recent ZR1 purchase. But I really don't see the big "to do" about this car.

If I am being honest, the C7 platform has grown on me. (Z06/ZR1/GS) not enough to buy one though.

The lines of both the C5Z/6Z's are timeless. GM knocked a home run with the wide body C6Z's. I am not convinced the C8's will do the same.

Is it just me?
Agree. I never really cared much for the C7 (too angular, not sleek, digital gauge cluster) but it still looks like a Corvette and has the tried and true vette layout; front engine, rear, transmission.

The C8 will no doubt be a great performer but it no longer looks like a Corvette; really feels like it has lost its soul. And it looks like most any other mid-engine performance car.
TXGS507 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:43 AM
03worthy4link
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
THIS^^^

i love my c6z, but i spent enough money making the interior nice enough to enjoy, that i could have built a bottom end for the damn thing. Now, im too far in it to ever get rid of it.

I've had this discussion 1000x over with friends in the car scene who seek to disparage the C6 over its interior. The car was released in 05 which means designed early to mid 2000's. Look around at 'luxury sports cars' of the same time as that's what people love to compare to. Interiors were far more reserved than they've become and the Vette was surely no exception. I had a 3LZ car and (sans GM's choice of ***** glue for the dash) never once got in it and felt that it was lacking, yet still had to field arguments of "But it doesn't have suede headliner!"

To OP's point, I'm excited to see the car but more excited to see what it does to C6 prices so I can get back in one

Last edited by 03worthy4link; 07-10-2019 at 07:44 AM.
TXGS507 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Wow... what a beautiful home and ZR1.... I'd love to see more pics of it...( the car)

The Huracan's are sex.... Although I have pounded em in Mexico with my H/C C6Z... Cannot go wrong w either...

Originally Posted by 1Sikstik
I'm thinking about picking up a C8 in the near future if I like it when I see one close up. Was thinking to trade my ZR1 on a huracan about 6 months ago but decided to wait and see what the C8 has to offer. If I do decide to pick up a new vette the ZR1 stays also, shes nightrace blue metallic, 1 of 54
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

I concur... that was kinda my point.

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
Agree. I never really cared much for the C7 (too angular, not sleek, digital gauge cluster) but it still looks like a Corvette and has the tried and true vette layout; front engine, rear, transmission.

The C8 will no doubt be a great performer but it no longer looks like a Corvette; really feels like it has lost its soul. And it looks like most any other mid-engine performance car.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:28 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

Matt -

I like Front engine cars, so my opinion is a little biased in that regard. To your point, the base C8 Stingray does not do much for me. I think the wide body car will look pretty neat. That being said, it will be a lot more expensive than people are posting in the C8 section of this website. I am waiting for someone to show me how this new Z06 version will be less than $150K base MSRP - Given a dual clutch, twin turbo set-up. Maybe I am wrong, who knows. The other thing people are not mentioning is on a rear engine car, is the maintenance costs - Yes, the car will be under warranty, but do you really want your engine being dropped out of the car all of the time? Last time I checked, that is what had to be done on all of my friends mid engine cars. Enjoy your ZR1 - It looks awesome!

JG

Last edited by JG853; 07-10-2019 at 08:28 AM.
TXGS507 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:28 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

The C6's interior may be lacking .I happen to like it. The C7 is much nicer in terms of bells whistles PDR, Comp seats etc
I owned an 08Z06 (3LZ) It had the Sienna Linen interior, my current ZR1 has the Cashmere interior.
Prior to buying my old C6ZR1 (3ZR) I drove a few C7Z's and almost bought one. I kept going back to the rarity of the ZR1 and the raw power.

For me, and my money, I chose the ZR1....

To be clear... It is not my intent to bash the C8... I have been trolling the C8 forums, talking to friends who are considering picking one up, trying to educate myself on this drastic new platform and still... " I am not feeling it". I am content w my 8 yr old ZR1...

1sikstick... Waiting on pics....
Old 07-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

I am wondering if the people in the 50 and 60's thought their interiors sucked. Everything improves over time (with a cost). 2010 ZR1 seats fit my *** just fine.I didn't buy it to be comfortable. I bought it to go fast. I think the C8 like it or dislike it question (body shape) will depend a lot on the paint choices.

In for more pics. of 1Sikstik car also.

Matt------ BTR3 cam yet?
WA 2 FST (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:16 AM
KurtsZ06
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Good point about mid engine layouts and post warranty service. I’ve gone through those hoops twice, not pretty. The prospect of doing the service yourself, from the very basic items, is utterly impossible. My last mid engine had developed an oil leak at the water pump. Genius Italians put a high pressure oil cavity within the pump housing sealed by a 10 cent paper gasket. I tried for hours to gain decent access ... finally gave in an had an Indy do the work. One oil leak = $6300.00.

No doubt the weight distribution is better in a mid engine, but seems to me the C6 is almost perfectly balanced.

Like the others here, I’m far from bashing the C8. Evolution of cars is inevitable whether it be in aerodynamics or mechanicals. I’m just wondering about the long term consumer feedback. When you dump $300k + on an exotic and it breaks down, to save face you keep your mouth shut. When a Chevy breaks down, you see headlines from C/D and Motortrend.
WA 2 FST (07-10-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C8?

Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

I think the love for the C8 will increase plenty when the more performance oriented versions arrive (z06/ZR1) Until then, I'll enjoy my 'almost 10 year old' ZR1 purchased with a whole 6400 kms (4000 miles) last year.
TXGS507 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

To me (and we are all different, even though owners on this board obviously share a commonality being in the C6 community), it is all about my own personal driving experience; that includes my style/type of driving. I no longer do much racing at a dragstrip or closed course. That's just the way it is. That's not bad or wrong, it is just different from some other owners. I want to be able to get in and enjoy the car (not my DD) immediately. I don't need/want a ton of high-tech gadgets. They aren't _bad_... but they take time to learn/navigate, and I just want to get in and drive. I'm sure I can do that with a newer model... but I drove a C7Z06 before I bought my C6ZR1 and chose the ZR1.

Is the interior dated... sure is. Do I care? Nope. Might that matter to a prospective buyer in the future? Doubtful. If it is an issue, they wouldn't be looking at a C6 ZR1 in the first place. And, FWIW, I've never bought a car to please someone else... either a future buyer, or gawkers/passers-by.

At my age (early 50s), I've probably bought my last Vette. Whether the C8 is "all that" or not, I seriously doubt it will affect whether I go buy one or not. It's going to be a very different Corvette, for many reasons. Strangely enough, if I buy another one, it will almost undoubtedly be a resto-mod C3 chrome bumper car. The only car, out of many, that I've owned that I regret selling... '69 BB restomod 'vert. Wasn't nearly as fast as my C6 ZR1 or TT C5Z, it certainly wasn't refined, had manual, roll-up windows, no power locks, and the interior was certainly dated... but in a cool way.

If you have the financial means -and- you're a "latest and greatest" owner, then you'll trade/sell anything over a few years old for the next/newest rendition... and that's perfectly fine. GM needs those types of folks, as well as those new to the brand, in order to keep the Corvette around.
The following 2 users liked this post by WA 2 FST:
KurtsZ06 (07-10-2019), TXGS507 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Thank you Joel... coming from you, I respect your points and they are valid. The fact that you OWN a C6Z06, a C6ZR1 and a C7ZR1 and have even shared w me that you are contemplating a C8 also tells me and should tell others that you know these cars and what goes into them and more importantly what you want out of them.

I am sure the C8Z's will be CRAZY fast and very cool... But the base C8 like the C7 Stingray does nothing for me.

Thanks for stopping by my friend. TTYS....

Originally Posted by JG853
Matt -

I like Front engine cars, so my opinion is a little biased in that regard. To your point, the base C8 Stingray does not do much for me. I think the wide body car will look pretty neat. That being said, it will be a lot more expensive than people are posting in the C8 section of this website. I am waiting for someone to show me how this new Z06 version will be less than $150K base MSRP - Given a dual clutch, twin turbo set-up. Maybe I am wrong, who knows. The other thing people are not mentioning is on a rear engine car, is the maintenance costs - Yes, the car will be under warranty, but do you really want your engine being dropped out of the car all of the time? Last time I checked, that is what had to be done on all of my friends mid engine cars. Enjoy your ZR1 - It looks awesome!

JG

Quick Reply: [ZR1] C8?