Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Engine removal questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 02:40 PM
Newcityboy22
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine removal questions

I unfortunately seized this motor up. It died at idle. I’m in the process of removing from the top since I don’t have a lift. I understand the concept of having to lower the chassis from the body, unbolting the torque tube, supporting it and that the radiator needs to be removed as well (dewitts rad and fans coming). My first question is does the crank pulley (ATI coming) have to come off before I can pull it? Second, if so what size and type of puller do i need to rent? 3rd, do I have to move the steering rack forward? 4th who wants to help hahahahahahaha! JK! I would like to know the needed and correct process before I dive back into it tonight or tomorrow. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2021, 03:08 PM
GX427
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Balancer does not need to come off nor does the cradle need to be dropped. Once you removed the motor mount bolts the torque tube bolts and obviously all the wiring headers etc also the radiator and fan and stuff you can simply just pull it up and out. You will need to move over the steering rack if I recall
Old 01-27-2021, 03:30 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,220 Likes on 797 Posts

That’s bad, can you elaborate on why your engine seize. Overheat, drop a valve, oiling issue? What happened. Thank you and good luck
Old 01-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Newcityboy22
Intermediate

to be determined lol
Old 01-27-2021, 05:34 PM
Newcityboy22
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GX427
Balancer does not need to come off nor does the cradle need to be dropped. Once you removed the motor mount bolts the torque tube bolts and obviously all the wiring headers etc also the radiator and fan and stuff you can simply just pull it up and out. You will need to move over the steering rack if I recall
is this taking into consideration of the 6 and 11 rib pulley on the ZR1?
Old 01-27-2021, 05:39 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

I am in to know why it seized. Was it modified? If so what mods did it have? Very sorry it happened.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:47 PM
Newcityboy22
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NotreOkc
I am in to know why it seized. Was it modified? If so what mods did it have? Very sorry it happened.
my first assumption is that it leaned out and beat the bearings out of it. as i pulled it apart there was brick coolant in the blower. im sure more will be reveled though
Old 01-27-2021, 06:38 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

Stock bricks?
Old 01-27-2021, 08:13 PM
GX427
Drifting

Yes
Old 01-28-2021, 05:37 AM
Sub8
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GX427
That's not correct. If you are leaving the torque tube in the car the engine has to come forward 6-9inches to clear the torque tube input shaft.

Do a search there's an excellent thread on here with all fixings and pictures.

Undo the 8 bolts holding the top suspension arms to the body and the 4 lower shock mount bolts. 4 bolts for front roll bar. Undo 2 bolts holding the ABS unit to the front craddle. Attach your engine crane to engine and take up tension.

Support the cradle underneath and undo the 4 nuts holding the cradle (No rattle gun on these).

Drop the cradle to the floor minding the brake pipes from the ABS unit.

This gives you the clearance to pull the engine forward off the input shaft and then out the top. Get a tilt mechanism for the engine crane.

Last edited by Sub8; 01-28-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 AM
Bingo002
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub8
That's not correct. If you are leaving the torque tube in the car the engine has to come forward 6-9inches to clear the torque tube input shaft.

Do a search there's an excellent thread on here with all fixings and pictures.

Undo the 8 bolts holding the top suspension arms to the body and the 4 lower shock mount bolts. 4 bolts for front roll bar. Undo 2 bolts holding the ABS unit to the front craddle. Attach your engine crane to engine and take up tension.

Support the cradle underneath and undo the 4 nuts holding the cradle (No rattle gun on these).

Drop the cradle to the floor minding the brake pipes from the ABS unit.

This gives you the clearance to pull the engine forward off the input shaft and then out the top. Get a tilt mechanism for the engine crane.
Yep, exactly this. Dropping the subframe is really easy. I left it on a jack about 4 inches lowered or so for the oil pan to clear.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:34 AM
GX427
Drifting

I’ve done it without dropping it isn’t much harder to drop the subframe though
Old 01-28-2021, 03:58 PM
chevyjeff
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

undo the rack and slid it over to passenger side so it sticks out the wheel well.
get an engine leveler to help. the motor need to come straight forward to clear imput shaft then comes up and out.
the engine leveler is really needed to reinstall. i did my motor in my z06 this way. the hood can stay on too.
undo the motor mounts from the cradle first the off the block helps w clearance. leave the ac compressor in car and leave the long stud in it
Old 01-29-2021, 07:19 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,220 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Newcityboy22
to be determined lol
have you been able to pinpoint the culprit? Thank

Get notified of new replies

To Engine removal questions

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Engine removal questions