Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

LG World Challenge Vented Hood- Effect On Coolant Temps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 09:00 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default LG World Challenge Vented Hood- Effect On Coolant Temps?

**I posted this in the road racing section but there may also be some folks here that can provide some info. Thanks!**

I'm hoping for a little help here. My C6 Z06 has a stroker engine putting out right around 700 HP. As we all know, more power=more heat. I do HPDE track days 3-5 times per year. When ambient temps are 90 (late spring/summer temps are 90-100+) or above I can't run a full 20 minute session without having coolant temps creep to 235 degrees or higher if I stay in it. I shut it down when I see 235, which is typically after close to 15 minutes of action. The car is fine unless I'm at the track.

A little history-
I added the Improved Racing oil cooler after seeing high oil temps during track use with the new engine. Oil temps have been a non-worry since but that kicked coolant temps up- no surprise there. With a little help I was able to drop the oil cooler down about 1-1.5", which opened the throat of the airway in front of the radiator. That and a new Ron Davis radiator definitely helped, gaining me roughly 3-4 more laps than before- but I'm not quite there yet obviously.

I had hoped to lay the oil cooler flat to completely open the airway to the radiator. I'm convinced that this would fix the problem, based upon my research. However, the fab work required is beyond my capabilities and those who could help me are simply not available due to other commitments.

This leaves me looking at the possibility of buying the LG WC vented hood. I'm hoping that someone here has either used this hood and seen improved coolant temps or knows someone who has done that. If so, can you supply any data for the improvement? Any specifics would be most helpful. It's not cheap (very nice quality) but I'm willing to pop for it if I have good reason to believe it's my fix.

Thanks for whatever info you guys might have!
Old 02-26-2024, 04:20 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You are definitely thinking correctly. My first advice would be to reach out to LG directly since they are always on the forum or try reaching out to Lou as well since he would have personally raced with this hood for a LONG while. That much I can vouch for...the hood is truly "tried and true" in racing.

I have a supercharged Z06 and the second I got it I grabbed this hood. It lowered my engine temps immediately. It's down getting the Superwidebody on so I have not had time for any real oil temp numbers to discuss but can tell you in the Texas heat it makes a nice differece with my blower...my two cents FWIW.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:36 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by VerTigo456
You are definitely thinking correctly. My first advice would be to reach out to LG directly since they are always on the forum or try reaching out to Lou as well since he would have personally raced with this hood for a LONG while. That much I can vouch for...the hood is truly "tried and true" in racing.

I have a supercharged Z06 and the second I got it I grabbed this hood. It lowered my engine temps immediately. It's down getting the Superwidebody on so I have not had time for any real oil temp numbers to discuss but can tell you in the Texas heat it makes a nice differece with my blower...my two cents FWIW.
Thanks, that just the kind of info I'm hoping for. I did talk to Dane at LG today and he's got a couple customers in mind to check with for how much it helped their coolant temps. He explained how it helps with air flow, which makes perfect sense, but he didn't have any specific info on how much it helps coolant temps. He'll be checking and getting back to me. Summer temps at my home track are very similar to what you see in Texas. If it helps with the heat of your S/C engine, that's very encouraging. Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:38 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,521 Likes on 2,604 Posts

I had a HCI C6Z, 600rwhp and ran the DeWitts radiator with IOC and ITC and I ran the WC hood. I was seeing 285* oil temp and 240* water temp on road courses when all was stock. When I did the poser build I also did the WC hood so I do not have any data on the improvements or the WC hood alone, but suspect about 10*. After the mods I saw 245* water temp and 290* oil temp using M1 0W-40 Euro formula.

I would have liked lower temps, but the C7Z didn't go into limp mode until 262* water temp and 300*+ oil temp so I felt OK with these higher temsp. No indication of any engine damage due to high road course running temps.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:08 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I had a HCI C6Z, 600rwhp and ran the DeWitts radiator with IOC and ITC and I ran the WC hood. I was seeing 285* oil temp and 240* water temp on road courses when all was stock. When I did the poser build I also did the WC hood so I do not have any data on the improvements or the WC hood alone, but suspect about 10*. After the mods I saw 245* water temp and 290* oil temp using M1 0W-40 Euro formula.

I would have liked lower temps, but the C7Z didn't go into limp mode until 262* water temp and 300*+ oil temp so I felt OK with these higher temsp. No indication of any engine damage due to high road course running temps.
Thanks Dave. I remember your C6Z very well. If the hood would cut temps by 10 degrees I think I'd be good to go. My oil temps are well below what you were experiencing. I assume the Improved Racing oil cooler is the difference maker there. Anyway, thanks for jumping in and good luck with the C8Z.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:31 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,521 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Thanks. I was scheduled to drive at Casa Grande, Paddock Club on Feb 3, but I would have driven down on Friday. Snow and temps in the 30*s were not good for getting there in one piece on the Cup2R tires and I really did not want to run the PS4S. I did the Ron Fellows School in a C8Z mechanically and areo identical to my car and was really impressed with the overall balance of the car at speed on the track there. After the 1st day I would have picked up more speed and lap time if I'd had just one 20 minute lapping session, but it was a good time out there.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:27 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 697 Likes on 445 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

From my favorite thread on the forum... vented hood, -7*

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1605245116

this entire thread should be read from beginning to end by anyone modding a C6Z for track.
Too bad Mordeth (Anthony) is inactive...a wealth of knowledge based on trail and error along with common sense
Old 02-28-2024, 10:40 AM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
From my favorite thread on the forum... vented hood, -7*

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1605245116

this entire thread should be read from beginning to end by anyone modding a C6Z for track.
Too bad Mordeth (Anthony) is inactive...a wealth of knowledge based on trail and error along with common sense
I've viewed that thread many times but I forgot about Anthony's breakdown of how much each mod improved temps. Thanks so much for posting that up!!! I've wondered what happened to him, to the point of checking with another forum member just to make sure he's OK. Apparently he is, but I have no idea why he left the forum. He was a tremendous asset! Please check your PMs.

Get notified of new replies

To LG World Challenge Vented Hood- Effect On Coolant Temps?

Quick Reply: LG World Challenge Vented Hood- Effect On Coolant Temps?