Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Corvette C6 Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 11:38 PM
SaltySaladZ06
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette C6 Clutch Issues

Hi everybody,

This may be a total noob post and I apologize in advance. Recently, I've been having some incredibly frustrating drivability issues with my Z06. It all pertains with the way the clutch is engaging and not exactly the pedal feel. Essentially, my car had been down for a month after cracking a wheel, but it was fine prior and immediately after getting this fixed. I drove it for about 3 days and got used to my clutch again as it's kind of a tricky one - RPS Street Twin Carbon/Carbon.

This clutch has always been a PIA and I've not been a fan of its "ON/OFF switch" engagement style, nonetheless, I mastered it and haven't paid mind to it. Recently though, my clutch has started to engage very aggressively and seems to of lost that "intermediate" section of the travel - the point where you can give it enough throttle to slip it a tad for a smooth takeoff. Now the clutch is quite literally none of it and then all of it no matter what you do. Sometimes it'll behave normally, especially when cold, but that ceases pretty quickly. The pedal does not stick or go light, it feels as it did before. But I cannot modulate the clutch with any amount of gas or speed on the pedal - trust me I've tried - and that's why its left me very frustrated.

Now, before anyone suggests I get that black reservoir style master cylinder, I already have it, and it was put in about a year ago to the day - and 12,000 miles. The car has been perfectly fine to this point. I did try putting fresh fluid in the reservoir but I did not do a full flush and it seems to of only made it worse - unless my DOT 4 went bad and has caused bubbling? I just didn't think that would cause this, usually the pedal would stick to the floor if it was master cylinder related. I plan on getting a totally fresh bottle of DOT 4 tomorrow and doing the ranger method to see if it improves, but until then, any ideas anybody? Could it be something mechanical like a throw-out bearing? It just changed very suddenly and I'm not sure how or why. After dealing with it like this the issues only gotten worse where now it will vibrate pretty bad or shake if you will as if it's going to stall, despite having up to 1,800-2,100 RPM of load with either fast pedal action or slow action.

Thanks in advance everyone, and if it sounds like it needs to be torn apart to the clutch, I have a McLeod RST waiting for it in storage and this would be my excuse to just pull the trigger on putting that in.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:47 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts

My RPS would sometimes act up a little, changing the friction characteristics enough that I would stall it occasionally like I didn't know how to drive stick. What I found is after some high rpm drag launches it would be fine. In fact once I started drag racing the car a lot, the harder I beat on the clutch, the more easy it was to drive on the street.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:27 AM
SaltySaladZ06
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
My RPS would sometimes act up a little, changing the friction characteristics enough that I would stall it occasionally like I didn't know how to drive stick. What I found is after some high rpm drag launches it would be fine. In fact once I started drag racing the car a lot, the harder I beat on the clutch, the more easy it was to drive on the street.
Exactly what I’m going through. I’ll try launching it a couple times and see if that sets it back into a more streetable feel. I changed and flushed the clutch fluid with brand new fluid with the Ranger method and it also seemed to help a bit. Hopefully a combination of the two will yield a good result. I gotta go somewhere in the morning so we’ll see how it does.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C6 Clutch Issues

Quick Reply: [Z06] Corvette C6 Clutch Issues