Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Compromise: A Good Looking FRC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 01:25 AM
night feeder
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Compromise: A Good Looking FRC? (DsC5)

never been a fan of the FRC body style :yesnod: i think it would be nice if the if the c6 z06 was like the c5r keeping the larger slanting rear window but not having a removable roof so its stiffer

[Modified by night feeder, 1:26 AM 1/12/2004]
Old 01-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Re: Compromise: A Good Looking FRC? (BLKZO6)

Hmmm...since the vert looks far closer to the FRC than the coupe, I think coupe owners would be in the minority. :lurk:
Yeah, I'm sure all convertible owners made their choice because they liked the profile of the top. The fact that it folds away has nothing to do with it.

After all, look how popular landau conversions for the FRC are. Not to mention FRC-look hatchback replacements.

.Jinx
Old 01-13-2004, 07:59 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Re: Compromise: A Good Looking FRC? (Jinx)

I think the short hard top needs little side skirts on the back, similar to the pre 1978 C3.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Mover
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...since the vert looks far closer to the FRC than the coupe, I think coupe owners would be in the minority. :lurk:

Yeah, I'm sure all convertible owners made their choice because they liked the profile of the top. The fact that it folds away has nothing to do with it.

After all, look how popular landau conversions for the FRC are. Not to mention FRC-look hatchback replacements.

.Jinx

However, the coupe owners are still the minority in this aspect. :seeya
Old 01-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The minority is people who like the FRC shape. How many polls have to be run to hammer this point home? Apparently one more. Sheesh.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Incorrect. Poll after poll shows that, by far, the majority of people on this board prefer the lines of the fastback Coupe over the notchback FRC.

To wit: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=226854

[Modified by Scissors, 7:39 AM 1/14/2004]
Old 01-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Mover
Pro

The minority is people who like the FRC shape. How many polls have to be run to hammer this point home? Apparently one more. Sheesh.

Well, even if you're right, the minority is also the people that actually race their cars, so I have to presume GM has access to poll type numbers not available on this board. The intent was to sell these cars to the minority that had a true interest in performance. At least that's my guess.

Anyway, we will know in less than a year what they will do. I for one hope they have a distinctive look to the hi-po model, because the coupes have the aura of being more of a grand tourer than anything else. I'm not in the market for that. :steering:
Old 01-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Mover
Pro

Default Re: Compromise: A Good Looking FRC? (Scissors)

Incorrect. Poll after poll shows that, by far, the majority of people on this board prefer the lines of the fastback Coupe over the notchback FRC.

To wit: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=226854

[Modified by Scissors, 7:39 AM 1/14/2004]

That has nothing to do with what I said, which was...more people buy the FRC/vert shape than the coupe shape. Amazing how you can come to a conclusion on 2xx votes from a board that has 20K members though. Very scientific, I'm sure.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

That has nothing to do with what I said, which was...more people buy the FRC/vert shape than the coupe shape.
First, that is a silly comment. You're lumping the FRC and 'Vert when you shouldn't be. People don't buy the Convertible because of its top's shape, they buy it because it's a convertible. If it resembled the coupe, sales numbers still likely would not change.

Amazing how you can come to a conclusion on 2xx votes from a board that has 20K members though. Very scientific, I'm sure.
Actually, that is quite scientific. A 1% sample is quite good and accurate, statistically. Room for error is probably only about +/- 5% or so. Regardless, it's far more accurate than comments made offhand based purely on opinion or personal experience.

Plus, you're still wrong. We'll compare 2000 since that's the most recent year that all three bodies had the same engine:

Coupe - 18,113
HT - 2,090
'Vert - 13,479

So that gives us a figure of 54% of Corvette buyers choosing the Coupe over the HT and 'Vert. Sounds like a majority to me.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I see a lot of posts on this forum where the author is in a quandry about whether to buy a Z06 for its performance, or purchase a coupe/vert and modify. For most of these people, the issue is not the looks of the FRC, but rather the lack of open air motoring. Ocasionally, someone will mention a desire for more trunk capacity, and rarer still is the person that says they just can't stand the looks of it.

The appreciation of the FRC appears to be an acquired taste - once you have one, the other Vettes seem odd - and that's why you see them defended so strongly.

I agree that the FRC was originally created as the "Billy Bob" entry level car, but in the process of putting higher performance parts in it to create the Z06, the Corvette engineers struck the mother lode - a relatively easy way to extract higher margins. Similar to what Jim Wangers did by dropping a hipo engine into a Lemans coupe, a new market was created that exceeded expectations. It's assinine to argue that the FRC design is a failure. I believe that 1/3 of all Vette sales are Z06's. To claim that 50% can't stand it is patently wrong. The percentage of Z06 sales might be higher if the price were not significantly higher than the coupe.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Mover
Pro

That has nothing to do with what I said, which was...more people buy the FRC/vert shape than the coupe shape.

First, that is a silly comment. You're lumping the FRC and 'Vert when you shouldn't be. People don't buy the Convertible because of its top's shape, they buy it because it's a convertible. If it resembled the coupe, sales numbers still likely would not change.

Amazing how you can come to a conclusion on 2xx votes from a board that has 20K members though. Very scientific, I'm sure.

Actually, that is quite scientific. A 1% sample is quite good and accurate, statistically. Room for error is probably only about +/- 5% or so. Regardless, it's far more accurate than comments made offhand based purely on opinion or personal experience.

Plus, you're still wrong. We'll compare 2000 since that's the most recent year that all three bodies had the same engine:

Coupe - 18,113
HT - 2,090
'Vert - 13,479

So that gives us a figure of 54% of Corvette buyers choosing the Coupe over the HT and 'Vert. Sounds like a majority to me.

I can see how you think the poll was scientific, if you try to use numbers that way. :lol:

2002:

Coupes: 14760
Verts: 12710
Z06: 8297.

Coupes = 41.27%

And do I really have to explain just how invalid those polls are? :D
Old 01-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

2002:

Coupes = 41.27%
Completely inaccurate representation of visual preference as the 2002 FRC has an LS6 in it. Unless you truly believe that people bought it for the looks and not for the performance. :skep:

Do I really have to explain to you why you're making it more and more clear that you don't know what you're talking about?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:11 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Default Re: Compromise: A Good Looking FRC? (aerospaceguy)

I'll reply the way I always have on this worn out argument. The Z06 is about performance...period. If you have to ask "should I get the Z06 for the extra performance, but give up <fill in the blank>" Then my answer is No. If you have to ask, then you don't want the Z06.

Personally, I didn't consider any other model but the Z06. The fact that I think it looks much better was just icing on the cake. :yesnod:
Old 01-14-2004, 10:29 PM
adios-1
Racer

Default Re: Compromise: A Good Looking FRC? (FLYNLO)

I must disagree. I own a 2003 coupe and my partner owns a 2002 Z06. While there was a noticeable difference in the handling from the factory, once I put on the Z06 sways and bilstien shocks there was no difference. When you consider the performance mods to the engine which produces 400+ hp at the rear wheels and the fact that it all cost me less than it cost to purchase the Z06, it really boils down to personal preference. I have not sacraficed anything and have the added luxury of an open top....and can open up a can of EXTREME at the drop of a hat. Again, simply a matter of personal preference. While I, and many others prefer the coupe, I can appreciate why others may prefer the Z06 look as well as the vert....but one need not sacrafice anything to get a coupe, just must take the time to mod. :cheers:
Old 01-15-2004, 03:30 AM
bigblockbob
Drifting

Default Re: Compromise: A Good Looking FRC? (RUGBY)

I chose a C5 coupe over a Z06 because, like about 50% of the Corvette fans out there, I really don't like the look of the C5 FRC.

I can't imagine why GM would want to offer their performance version in a body style that 50% of its best customers hate.

:nono: :nono: :nono: Some FRC simply look BAD ****!:
agreed, i had a chance to buy an off white z06, i am pissed it did not happen. :sad:
Old 01-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Mover
Pro

2002:

Coupes = 41.27%

Completely inaccurate representation of visual preference as the 2002 FRC has an LS6 in it. Unless you truly believe that people bought it for the looks and not for the performance. :skep:

Do I really have to explain to you why you're making it more and more clear that you don't know what you're talking about?

The numbers I posted are factual numbers. Who cares what happened in 2000? Do you always live in the past?

Yes, please explain to me how I'm making it more clear to you that I don't know what I'm talking about. Considering what you've already posted, that should be pretty funny.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:42 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion, the best looking Vette is the convertible with the top down, followed by the coupe with the top off, followed by the coupe with the top on, followed by the FRC, followed by the convertible with the top up. Overall I like them all but the above are my personal preferences in the looks dept only.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Compromise: A Good Looking FRC?