Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Could you afford a $60K+ Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 09:36 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll wait for one of you rich guys to buy a brand new one...then baby it for a couple years, then I'll buy it at a nice discount with an extended warranty.

Which is how I got my current Z.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Steele
Well that's interesting. Do you have "replacement cost" insurance on your property or if your house burns down will you just accept "used re-imbursement" values?

The college was negligent in the maintenance of the dorm roof. Their negligence allowed my property to be damaged while I was paying them to live in the dorm. They were liable to replace my property.

But ultimately your lack of judgement is more simply proven by the math:

They got $20 from me (by not paying for the difference in the speaker price.)

I have chosen not to donate thousands of dollars over the past 15 years to their college.

Not a good long-term decision on their part. From my perspective, it has been a great financial move. I sleep soundly at night with no guilt or regret over not donating to my alma mater. And I've saved a bundle.

Also, as an FYI, I was a young kid who had saved up for quite a while to get that stereo system. All told, it was probably $500. A big investment to me, working for $3.35 an hour at a bakery and various odd jobs at the time while in school. I had also invested a lot of time picking out what I felt were the best speakers for the system within my budget (obviously a cheap budget) and I liked them.

They were no longer available when I went back. They had the same speaker model (and no longer on sale as I mentioned) but they were built with a different speaker paper and to my ears weren't as crisp as the ones I originally had.

I wasn't trying to scam the school. I couldn't replace the speakers with what I really wanted and was taking something lesser in my mind anyway. And I spent about 6 hours working at a bakery to earn the money so that I could replace my speakers that had been ruined by their negligence with lesser speakers .

Tom, I am with you. During my life time I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen stupid at the moment decissions that cause people to remember a life time. You have remembered because you felt they were not fair to you. All over $20! It does not matter how others see it. You are the one making the choice not to contribute. I respect those who do contribute but we all have the right to do as we please.

I used to contribute to The University of Tennessee. When Johnny Majors found out he was fired when he was in the hospital and saw it on TV I said that is not what I want to be associated with. I still follow Tennessee and particularly the girls basketball because of their GREAT coach, Pat Summit. However, they have not received another dime from me! Having the funds to contribute does not come into it. I chose to contribute to others.

On another soap box, lets hope the C6 Z06 has a true dry sump system. This will add significant performance I know from experience.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:13 AM
1Turbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Can i afford a C6 Z06 ?

Not unless i get a well deserved raise from McDonalds
Old 11-09-2004, 07:03 AM
RandyVettes
Life's Short. Drive Hard.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'09

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---WOW!!! What A Ride!"

Quick Reply: [Z06] Could you afford a $60K+ Z06?