Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS 06 Vert loaded 7K $28,900

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by s2kvince
There's nothing wrong with salvage as long as you can inspect it beforehand. I'd be hesitant to buy one already repaired, but I've purchased wrecked cars before and saved a lot of money over a clear title example.

It's also better on older vehicles (>5 years old) since a minor fender bender will be enough to total it.

If a car is worth $30k-$40k, then it may have underwent some fairly major damage to be totaled. At the same time, I've seen C6 Corvettes at the salvage auctions with minor hits. It may have just cracked a few exterior panels and damaged headlights, etc. Since insurance companies get quotes directly from the dealer, this can add up to $15k-$20k despite being merely a cosmetic repair.
Or they could of been hit hard, real hard. Plus, we are not talking about buying one and fixing itself, we are talking about having somebody "who knows how qualified" else repair it. Plus, in California (not sure of other states) to get these back on the road they just have to visit the local CHIPS and they check to see if the lights work, the horn..... oh, and don't forget the major smog test... They can drive down the road sideways because of the bent frame and it still passes and can be licenced. And as said before, then when it comes time to sell this vehicle, no matter how well it is fixed, is a nightmare. I know, been on both sides of this story.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:38 PM
tngerman1999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reminds me of an 07 vert that was for sale on ebay a few days ago. It also had a salvage title and the bidding went up to 28K and it didnt meet her reserve!!!! The vehicle had 17K of damage and the frame was slightly bent (as she put it) BUTTT it was repaired by a reputable corvette shop so its should be worth way over 30K. LOL!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:38 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Racer44
Or they could of been hit hard, real hard. Plus, we are not talking about buying one and fixing itself, we are talking about having somebody "who knows how qualified" else repair it. Plus, in California (not sure of other states) to get these back on the road they just have to visit the local CHIPS and they check to see if the lights work, the horn..... oh, and don't forget the major smog test... They can drive down the road sideways because of the bent frame and it still passes and can be licenced. And as said before, then when it comes time to sell this vehicle, no matter how well it is fixed, is a nightmare. I know, been on both sides of this story.
How have you helped this sale? Read the rules
Old 11-28-2009, 10:55 PM
dgoldenz
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts

Ironic....there's a mint 06 vert fully loaded for sale near me with 20k miles for $30k with an extended warranty.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by d.medic
How have you helped this sale? Read the rules
If I helped educate just one person about the possible headaches/nightmares that purchasing a salvage vehicle may bring them I will take the repercussions. I am sure the op wants the potential buyer to know all the facts rather than come back to him a month later with buyers regret wanting some sort of refund.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 AM
2manyvetts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I asked for was a history of this salvaged car and the definition of the term "salvage", which I think is vital if it is to be presented for sale.

The OP has apparently elected not to answer those questions.

I was looking for another party, but that party bought an 07 atomic orange yesterday with 1651 miles.

I will move on...thanks and good luck with the sale.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 2manyvetts
All I asked for was a history of this salvaged car and the definition of the term "salvage", which I think is vital if it is to be presented for sale.

The OP has apparently elected not to answer those questions.

I was looking for another party, but that party bought an 07 atomic orange yesterday with 1651 miles.

I will move on...thanks and good luck with the sale.
Well, here is a small bit of background on this car, from the op's words himself..

I have a 2006 LS 2 that takes 10 seconds to shut off after I push the off button. I bought the car as a salvage car. Car ran fine but the engine and drive train had to be removed to do the frame work and it has had this problem ever since. One thing that i think is related is the battery runs down in about 30-60 minutes. I hear a high pitched buzz from the trans and a solinoid clicking.

I went to the dealer and there are no codes, the switch is talking to the BC
I need a bellhousing and motor mount for a 06 LS2 with an auto trans ASAP!
I need a left upper control arm for a 06 c6!
I need right and left Monterey Red headlights and a front bumper. For a 2006 vert!
I need a used engine wiring harness for a 2006 vette LS2 motor. If you have one with cut wires that is ok! I just need the computer plug!
need some misc parts to finish my 06 vert!

rt marker light with about 2'' of wire and plug
rt and lt front brake vent duct
rt inner louver (black under fender)
lt inner front fender and lower half moon piece
fuse block cover
Traction control button on the center console
Rear lock with a key (need glove box and center console cylinders)
windshield (headsup and GPS)
So, the op is probably not a licensed body technicion, but he bought this car and rebuilt it himself. Not the first one he has done though, looks like it might be a money making thing as he sells them a few months after completion. These parts that were put on the car were only the parts he had trouble finding so he came on the forum and asked for them. Looks like "used" parts were used rather than buying new GM replacement parts. Also, looks like wiring was cut and reattached mid wire who knows how....hence the electrical problems the car is having...

Due Diligence of the potential buyer and full disclosure from the seller is needed when buying SALVAGE......
I really feel the OP should show pics of the car in it's saddest state and let us know what was damaged rather than just say it had a previous salvage title....
Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
Due Diligence of the potential buyer and full disclosure from the seller is needed when buying SALVAGE......
I really feel the OP should show pics of the car in it's saddest state and let us know what was damaged rather than just say it had a previous salvage title....
I agree. Anytime someone posts a car for sale and it is "Salvaged". They should be required to post BEFORE pics. Also, who did the work? A professional shop or a private party?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:54 AM
vetteride4u
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's were I will chime in! Racer44 is right, salvage cars are what they are. Many have been repaired wrong, but you are making assumptions on a car you know nothing about! This car have been repaired not by me but all the paint and frame work has been done by one of the areas leading auto body shops! I do the mechanical and assembly work. For many years I was a ASE master tech and am qualified to work on cars but in your eyes I am not be! I am happy to send anyone how asks before and after pictures and thoses how have contacted me already by phone and email know I am as straight forward and honest about the car as they come. This car has been in a wreck, it has had frame work and Racer44 I actually needed parts to fix it! (most wrecked cars dont need parts)

I have two type of people that contact me. Most have owned a salvage car and have had good experiances and what another and those how just what a good deal. For those deal people, these are previous salvage cars and not like you are buying a new car! Do you reseach and feel comfortable with the seller before you buy!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by vetteride4u
Here's were I will chime in! Racer44 is right, salvage cars are what they are. Many have been repaired wrong, but you are making assumptions on a car you know nothing about! This car have been repaired not by me but all the paint and frame work has been done by one of the areas leading auto body shops! I do the mechanical and assembly work. For many years I was a ASE master tech and am qualified to work on cars but in your eyes I am not be! I am happy to send anyone how asks before and after pictures and thoses how have contacted me already by phone and email know I am as straight forward and honest about the car as they come. This car has been in a wreck, it has had frame work and Racer44 I actually needed parts to fix it! (most wrecked cars dont need parts)

I have two type of people that contact me. Most have owned a salvage car and have had good experiances and what another and those how just what a good deal. For those deal people, these are previous salvage cars and not like you are buying a new car! Do you reseach and feel comfortable with the seller before you buy!
You needed to state all of this in your original post, waaay up at the top of this thread..........

Quick Reply: FS 06 Vert loaded 7K $28,900