C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
quoteszone
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous Experience?

I've purchased a 50-200 HP wet nitrous and propane kit from http://www.btrviper.com/nitrous.html. They're also going to install for me. A few questions: Assumming a safe tune (read: proper a/f), can I get away w/ a full 200HP w/ the motor? How about the tranny (i'm guessing no, long term anyway)? Should I start out at a lower level: 100HP, 150HP, or just go straight to the 200HP? They don't install an A/F gauge, any recommendations on an aftermarket gauge that looks clean with our machines? Are there any other recommendations for engine failsafes? Utilizing stock tires initially, would most of you use the nitrous at the beginning of 2nd gear or lower, perhaps mid to top first gear? Finally, any rough guesses on 1/4 mile times assumming 1.9 60' times? I'm hoping low 11's, am I unrealistic?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Old 08-04-2005, 12:19 AM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

Eric, I had the magnetic ride MN6 on my C6 I no longer own. I had the Nitrous Express kit with up to a 200 shot. On a stock motor you should not use more than a 150 shot. The motor and tranny can't take the stress. I played it safe and went with a 100 shot. I had a switch to turn the unit on, a 3000 rpm window switch and a micro swith for WOT. All of these have to be fullfilled for the N2O to come on. It pulled 451 RWHP and 484 Ftlbs tourque. It was very fast. It generally came on at the top of 1st when I hammered it all the way through 3td. You don't want to spray in 4,5,or 6. Also traction control HAS to be off or you could go BOOOOOM.
I think the car was capable of 11.6 - 11.8. It really is harder to drive and control with a stick I think vs. automatic.

Just to let you know I had clutch trouble ( went through 3 of them) also lost the crank pully at 5000 mi. I was told due to excessive tourque.
Needless to say GM bought the car back and I just got my new Velocity Yellow Z51 A4 last week. I am doing bolt on mods not N2O. I was like a crack baby with the stuff. In the 60 days I had it I filled my 10lb tank 18 times. You car starts to feel slow without it.

My opinion if you want to Play you need to be ready to Pay. If you can't afford to fix your stuff when it breakes don't do it because it will eventually. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I currently am doing Headers, intake, rockers, srpings, 3200 tourque converter and a shift kit. That should get me into the high 11's. I saw it with the SLP kit in Vette magazine. They are only bolt ons too. I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:41 AM
quoteszone
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by c6nut
Eric, I had the magnetic ride MN6 on my C6 I no longer own. I had the Nitrous Express kit with up to a 200 shot. On a stock motor you should not use more than a 150 shot. The motor and tranny can't take the stress. I played it safe and went with a 100 shot. I had a switch to turn the unit on, a 3000 rpm window switch and a micro swith for WOT. All of these have to be fullfilled for the N2O to come on. It pulled 451 RWHP and 484 Ftlbs tourque. It was very fast. It generally came on at the top of 1st when I hammered it all the way through 3td. You don't want to spray in 4,5,or 6. Also traction control HAS to be off or you could go BOOOOOM.
I think the car was capable of 11.6 - 11.8. It really is harder to drive and control with a stick I think vs. automatic.

Just to let you know I had clutch trouble ( went through 3 of them) also lost the crank pully at 5000 mi. I was told due to excessive tourque.
Needless to say GM bought the car back and I just got my new Velocity Yellow Z51 A4 last week. I am doing bolt on mods not N2O. I was like a crack baby with the stuff. In the 60 days I had it I filled my 10lb tank 18 times. You car starts to feel slow without it.

My opinion if you want to Play you need to be ready to Pay. If you can't afford to fix your stuff when it breakes don't do it because it will eventually. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I currently am doing Headers, intake, rockers, srpings, 3200 tourque converter and a shift kit. That should get me into the high 11's. I saw it with the SLP kit in Vette magazine. They are only bolt ons too. I hope this helps and good luck.
I've actually got an automatic. Not too concerned about long term reliability. I just don't want to kill everything in the first couple of weeks. What specifically won't hold up in the motor; the bottom end, top end? I'm with you on boredom. I actually bought this C6 because I was bored w/ my modified 4 door viper truck. Despite weighing 6k pounds, I still got it to run 13.2, but still got bored after 6k miles. Funny thing is, I traded a 2000 C5 in on my first reg cab Viper truck. I'm just put my second reg cab viper truck (third overall) on the market yesterday I got sick of waiting for Roe Racing's twin screw supercharger since the end of last year. And I got my wife a Crossfire SRT-6 convertible due to boredom. Not even going to mention what I did to my Road King, lol. When stuff breaks due to excessive power, it's usually just an excuse for me to upgrade parts.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:13 AM
thorkonan
Instructor

Here is a clean install on the gauge by WCC

Old 08-04-2005, 11:02 AM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

My speed shop and dealer mechanic told me the bottom end can not handle more then 500 RWHP without major work. No matter what you do it is a strain on the motor. Just after having so many problems with my first C6 I think I will lay off the spray for a while.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:23 PM
catpat8000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did GM know you were using nitrous on the car they bought back?

Pat
Old 08-04-2005, 04:14 PM
quoteszone
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=thorkonan]Here is a clean install on the gauge by WCC
QUOTE]

Nice shots. Any chance you could post a closeup on that a/f? Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just amazed you got a buy back on a car with Nitrous and other mods. Was Stevie Wonder the Rep?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:22 AM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

I had everything removed and put back to stock for a few pennies. I then filed my claim with the lawyer. I was told it did not matter anyway. I had the trouble before I put the spray on. I love my Velocity Yellow A4.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:09 PM
bruce1
Melting Slicks

With NOS, you need to take precautions.
No more than 150 shot on stock bottom IMO.
100 shot would be safer. Personally I would do the 100 shot. The post on the user that ended up having problems with the C6 while using NOS, shows you how carried away some guys can get. If not done right, NOS can be a total waste of time and money. Be smart.
Go with experienced installers and buy the gages to make sure your motor will last.

Your stock A4 may handle a 100 shot. But a rebuilt tranny with TC is in your future.

Bruce1
(the mystic palm reader)
Old 08-07-2005, 10:00 PM
quoteszone
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bruce1
With NOS, you need to take precautions.
No more than 150 shot on stock bottom IMO.
100 shot would be safer. Personally I would do the 100 shot. The post on the user that ended up having problems with the C6 while using NOS, shows you how carried away some guys can get. If not done right, NOS can be a total waste of time and money. Be smart.
Go with experienced installers and buy the gages to make sure your motor will last.

Your stock A4 may handle a 100 shot. But a rebuilt tranny with TC is in your future.

Bruce1
(the mystic palm reader)
Thanks. That's the kind of response I was looking for. Aside from A/F gauge, and proper tuning, are there any other safety devices to help prevent a lean condition?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:13 PM
bruce1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by quoteszone
Thanks. That's the kind of response I was looking for. Aside from A/F gauge, and proper tuning, are there any other safety devices to help prevent a lean condition?
Like I said, the A/F gage, realtime 02 readout is very important.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:01 PM
KB3MMX
4th Gear

Originally Posted by quoteszone
I've purchased a 50-200 HP wet nitrous and propane kit from http://www.btrviper.com/nitrous.html. They're also going to install for me. A few questions: Assumming a safe tune (read: proper a/f), can I get away w/ a full 200HP w/ the motor? How about the tranny (i'm guessing no, long term anyway)? Should I start out at a lower level: 100HP, 150HP, or just go straight to the 200HP? They don't install an A/F gauge, any recommendations on an aftermarket gauge that looks clean with our machines? Are there any other recommendations for engine failsafes? Utilizing stock tires initially, would most of you use the nitrous at the beginning of 2nd gear or lower, perhaps mid to top first gear? Finally, any rough guesses on 1/4 mile times assumming 1.9 60' times? I'm hoping low 11's, am I unrealistic?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Originally Posted by BoosTTed C6
please revive other dead threads with your brilliant responses. I like reminiscing.

Nitrous is very thrilling stuff. I love when my dentist uses it to fix my Mountain Dew cavities 🤓

Get notified of new replies

To Nitrous Experience?

Quick Reply: Nitrous Experience?