C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A supercharger - road racing and autocrossing

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Street gear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A&A supercharger - road racing and autocrossing

Andy claims his new supercharger cooling system is now more efficient. Has anyone used it in an autocross or a road racing event. I was just wondering if you have heating problems. Can't decide to supercharge or not.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

What are your future plans for track events? How often do you plan on tracking your car and whats your experience level? I will help you decide what way to go. We dont recommend supercharging for a customer serious about tracking their car.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:17 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Street gear
Andy claims his new supercharger cooling system is now more efficient. Has anyone used it in an autocross or a road racing event. I was just wondering if you have heating problems. Can't decide to supercharge or not.
I plan on finding out this next race season... I don't antecipate any problems in autocross since I have yet to see an autocross course last more than 1minute with a good 10-30 minutes in between runs, but a lot of guys do overheat on road races...
What I can confirm is that while my car has never come close to overheating, it does run hotter now that is has a supercharger in place, by 8-12F depending on conditions... Another A&A consumer said that his car was fine at the race track (real race track here, not just 1/4 mile of paved straight) if the ambient temp was below 90F, but above 90F it overheated.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
I plan on finding out this next race season... I don't antecipate any problems in autocross since I have yet to see an autocross course last more than 1minute with a good 10-30 minutes in between runs, but a lot of guys do overheat on road races...
What I can confirm is that while my car has never come close to overheating, it does run hotter now that is has a supercharger in place, by 8-12F depending on conditions... Another A&A consumer said that his car was fine at the race track (real race track here, not just 1/4 mile of paved straight) if the ambient temp was below 90F, but above 90F it overheated.
What are your oil levels on normal driving? driving hard for about 15 minutes on a normal day? driving hard for more than 30 minutes on hot day?

My answers to those questions are:
200-215
225-235
240s.

The longest I've driven it hard for more than an hour straight was the first day I got it installed. Drove for about 90 minutes hard on the freeway with it being 100 degrees out. Oil temps never hit 250.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Tzzird
. Drove for about 90 minutes hard on the freeway with it being 100 degrees out. Oil temps never hit 250.
Were you between 3500 and 6,500 rpm's under full throtttle the whole time? Its more the coolant temps that will cause a problem, not just the oil temps.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Were you between 3500 and 6,500 rpm's under full throtttle the whole time? Its more the coolant temps that will cause a problem, not just the oil temps.
yes.

coolant level never got out of hand.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tzzird
What are your oil levels on normal driving? driving hard for about 15 minutes on a normal day? driving hard for more than 30 minutes on hot day?

My answers to those questions are:
200-215
225-235
240s.

The longest I've driven it hard for more than an hour straight was the first day I got it installed. Drove for about 90 minutes hard on the freeway with it being 100 degrees out. Oil temps never hit 250.
I'm in the exact same ballpark as you, with freeway cruising temps in the 190s some times, and my coolant is always sub 190F (I have a 160F thermostat)
Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Street gear
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris@East Coast Supercharging
What are your future plans for track events? How often do you plan on tracking your car and whats your experience level? I will help you decide what way to go. We dont recommend supercharging for a customer serious about tracking their car.
Street driving 60%
autocrossing 35%
Quarter mile 5%

This pretty much sums up how and where I do most of my driving.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:41 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Street gear
Street driving 60%
autocrossing 35%
Quarter mile 5%

This pretty much sums up how and where I do most of my driving.
I'm a huge autocross fan too Been autoxing every vehicle I owned since the first car I had... While I don't see any way your car could possibly overheat in a 1 minute tightly wound course where it will never see wide open throttle and the 1 minute runs will be spaced out by 10-30 minutes of waiting in line for another go, I will point out that your car will probably become a lot less competitive with the supercharger... All the autox courses I have ran were 1st and 2nd gear only, and at those gears you can just about break traction every time on a well set up bolt-ons car, let alone with 600whp; you will be fighting constant wheelspin. The blower will add 75 or so lbs up front which will have a detrimental effect on handling (it will tend towards understeer more. This is un-noticeable in a street car, but may show up in an autocross) and, most importantly, the blower is going to place you in a super high race car class with a horrible PAX multipler where I don't really think the car will be very competitive...
I plan on autocrossing next season and wil be sure to post my results here, but honestly I got a blower because I wanted a fast street car; if I was building a winning autocross setup this probably wouldn't be it...
Old 11-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Street gear
Racer

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
I'm a huge autocross fan too Been autoxing every vehicle I owned since the first car I had... While I don't see any way your car could possibly overheat in a 1 minute tightly wound course where it will never see wide open throttle and the 1 minute runs will be spaced out by 10-30 minutes of waiting in line for another go, I will point out that your car will probably become a lot less competitive with the supercharger... All the autox courses I have ran were 1st and 2nd gear only, and at those gears you can just about break traction every time on a well set up bolt-ons car, let alone with 600whp; you will be fighting constant wheelspin. The blower will add 75 or so lbs up front which will have a detrimental effect on handling (it will tend towards understeer more. This is un-noticeable in a street car, but may show up in an autocross) and, most importantly, the blower is going to place you in a super high race car class with a horrible PAX multipler where I don't really think the car will be very competitive...
I plan on autocrossing next season and wil be sure to post my results here, but honestly I got a blower because I wanted a fast street car; if I was building a winning autocross setup this probably wouldn't be it...
Thanks for your input for me autocrossing is now more of a past timegetting too old to be very competitive but still love it. My car is cammed now and yes you are right about fighting wheel spin. It seems the lower power GT3's does the best at our event. In regards to a small course with no WOT that is not the case on our events. It's more like a road course oppose to a true autocross. The military base allows the auto club to use the landing strip originally designed as an emergency landing pad for the space shuttle. There are two straight away both about 1/4 miles long. I get to the top of 3rd gear before pulling a hard 90 degree turn. It's a very fun course which consists of 2 laps for a total of about 1 min for a good driver and for me 65 seconds last season. That was on street tiresnext year going Hoosiers.

The cam is nice but for the 65% of the time on the street it sucks. In regards to handling Characteristics I have callaway coilovers and can adjust for that.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A supercharger - road racing and autocrossing

Quick Reply: A&A supercharger - road racing and autocrossing