C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortech V2 Vs. V3

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Vortech V2 Vs. V3

Which system is preferred by you guys and why? I wanted to go V3 to avoid tapping into the oil system, but have heard the V2 is a cleaner way to go. Comments? Disregard....I just found a recent Post with results I'm looking for...I think I'm going with a V2.

Last edited by rectifyer2000; 01-02-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Found another post with results
Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rectifyer2000
Which system is preferred by you guys and why? I wanted to go V3 to avoid tapping into the oil system, but have heard the V2 is a cleaner way to go. Comments? Disregard....I just found a recent Post with results I'm looking for...I think I'm going with a V2.
They came out with the V3 for ease of installation. I call Vortech to ask about it and the engineer basically told me they prefer to have 6 quarts of oil circulating through out the supercharger vs 6 oz of oil that stays in the supercharger. The 6 quarts of oil will give you a lower temp however the V3 will be easier to install since it does not involve taping the oil pan.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by csun213
the engineer basically told me they prefer to have 6 quarts of oil circulating through out the supercharger vs 6 oz of oil that stays in the supercharger.
Nicely put!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 PM
skamp
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They came out with the V3 for ease of installation. I call Vortech to ask about it and the engineer basically told me they prefer to have 6 quarts of oil circulating through out the supercharger vs 6 oz of oil that stays in the supercharger. The 6 quarts of oil will give you a lower temp however the V3 will be easier to install since it does not involve taping the oil pan.
I too was worried about tapping the pan but figured the oil running through the coolers (if you have a Z51) has to be better then the 6 oz in the unit. I decided on the v2 and ordered that during the crazy 4 hour sale. The pan tapping seems pretty easy.

Steve
Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Do a search there is a huge post on it!
1. Engine oil is full of contaminits you don't need in you head unit!
2. The V-3 runs cooler! Than the V-2 As verifed if you read the post
3. V-3 uses a better oil for your blower than motor oil.
4. Maintenance is a two minutes job!
5. Tapping your pan can introduce shavings with more possible leaks.
6. Blower gets possible metal possibly ruining it if you blow your engine.
7. V-3 Install is easy, tapping the pan for the V-2 is the worst part on a C-6. plus easy to uninstall
ask Power-labs.

V-3 for me. opinions vary!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 6 quarts of oil will give you a lower temp however the V3 will be easier to install since it does not involve taping the oil pan.

This is an inaccurate statement and has been independently tested several times.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

When I called Vortech I got a parts person. He liked the V-3 better. I wouldn't think they pay product engineers to answer the phone.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:19 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
When I called Vortech I got a parts person. He liked the V-3 better. I wouldn't think they pay product engineers to answer the phone.
You can hit 1 for ordering and the "2" or "3" for a technician/engineer... The one I spoke with was very knowledgeable; I was actually quite surprized.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:07 AM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The long and the short of it is that you will be happy with either. Neither have any major draw backs and neither will have any ill effects on the life of the supercharger or your engine IF installed properly.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstGen
The long and the short of it is that you will be happy with either. Neither have any major draw backs and neither will have any ill effects on the life of the supercharger or your engine IF installed properly.
Great answer
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FirstGen
very well put...
Old 01-03-2009, 02:01 PM
TRIZ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Info from Procharger:
Summary of 2004 Chevrolet Z06 Corvette Testing
Objective: Determine the operating temperature of the lubricating oil within a selfcontained automotive supercharger in various street driving conditions. Compare selfcontained lubricating oil operating temperature against engine oil operating temperature.
Description: A 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with ProCharger Stage II self-contained, intercooled supercharger system was driven through two street driving cycles. First, from a cold start the car was driven until warmed up then repeated wide open throttle acceleration runs were made (Figures 1 & 2). Next the car was parked for several hours
before being driven in a more conservative manner with 3 wide open throttle acceleration runs mixed in with steady freeway cruising (Figures 3 & 4). The vehicle was instrumented and an IO Tech Personal DAQ/56 USB data acquisition system and Vetronix Tech 2 diagnostic tester were used to observe and record the following parameters:
• Supercharger Inlet Temperature: Personal DAQ, K-type thermocouple inserted in the inlet tract of the supercharger.
• Supercharger Discharge Temperature: Personal DAQ, K-type thermocouple inserted in the discharge tube between the supercharger and the intercooler.
• Self-Contained Supercharger Oil Temperature: Personal DAQ, K-type
thermocouple inserted in the oil reservoir about ¼” offset from the slinger.
• Engine Oil Temperature: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle oil temperature sensor. This parameter is slightly different than ‘oil-fed supercharger oil temperature’ in that oil fed supercharger oil is taken from the engine oil and likely cools down 10oF - 15oF before being injected into the oil-fed supercharger.
• Engine Coolant Temperature: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle coolant temperature sensor.
• Vehicle Speed: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle speed sensor.
• Engine Speed: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle crank speed sensor.

Summary: Engine oil and self-contained supercharger oil start out at the same temperature and warm up at similar rates for the first 2 minutes from cold start. After 2 minutes the engine oil rapidly heats up to temperatures above 200oF while the selfcontained supercharger oil operates at temperatures between 105oF and 115oF (Figure 1).

Figure 1 also shows that the self-contained supercharger oil has reached a sort of equilibrium. Under high engine load the temperature increases and under low engine load the temperature decreases. This defines an operating temperature range for the selfcontained supercharger oil between 105oF and 115oF. The engine oil temperatures have not stabilized. Engine oil temperature rapidly increases under high load and holds steady or slowly increases under light load conditions. Thus the engine oil temperature has not reached equilibrium and its operating temperature is unknown but is well over 200oF. It should be noted that oil-fed superchargers typically use engine oil that has run through several feet of hose and this gives the oil an opportunity to cool down slightly before being injected into the oil-fed supercharger. Typically, a 10oF - 15oF drop in oil temperature is seen in an automotive application between the engine block and oil-fed
supercharger.

I copied this info from the porcharger link below. There are also charts in the link; especially note figure 3. Hope this helps.

Here's the link:
http://www.procharger.com/consumer_a...6_oil_temp.pdf
http://www.procharger.com/consumer_alert.shtml
Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 AM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Info from Procharger:
Summary of 2004 Chevrolet Z06 Corvette Testing
Objective: Determine the operating temperature of the lubricating oil within a selfcontained automotive supercharger in various street driving conditions. Compare selfcontained lubricating oil operating temperature against engine oil operating temperature.
Description: A 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with ProCharger Stage II self-contained, intercooled supercharger system was driven through two street driving cycles. First, from a cold start the car was driven until warmed up then repeated wide open throttle acceleration runs were made (Figures 1 & 2). Next the car was parked for several hours
before being driven in a more conservative manner with 3 wide open throttle acceleration runs mixed in with steady freeway cruising (Figures 3 & 4). The vehicle was instrumented and an IO Tech Personal DAQ/56 USB data acquisition system and Vetronix Tech 2 diagnostic tester were used to observe and record the following parameters:
• Supercharger Inlet Temperature: Personal DAQ, K-type thermocouple inserted in the inlet tract of the supercharger.
• Supercharger Discharge Temperature: Personal DAQ, K-type thermocouple inserted in the discharge tube between the supercharger and the intercooler.
• Self-Contained Supercharger Oil Temperature: Personal DAQ, K-type
thermocouple inserted in the oil reservoir about ¼” offset from the slinger.
• Engine Oil Temperature: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle oil temperature sensor. This parameter is slightly different than ‘oil-fed supercharger oil temperature’ in that oil fed supercharger oil is taken from the engine oil and likely cools down 10oF - 15oF before being injected into the oil-fed supercharger.
• Engine Coolant Temperature: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle coolant temperature sensor.
• Vehicle Speed: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle speed sensor.
• Engine Speed: Tech 2, measured by the stock vehicle crank speed sensor.

Summary: Engine oil and self-contained supercharger oil start out at the same temperature and warm up at similar rates for the first 2 minutes from cold start. After 2 minutes the engine oil rapidly heats up to temperatures above 200oF while the selfcontained supercharger oil operates at temperatures between 105oF and 115oF (Figure 1).

Figure 1 also shows that the self-contained supercharger oil has reached a sort of equilibrium. Under high engine load the temperature increases and under low engine load the temperature decreases. This defines an operating temperature range for the selfcontained supercharger oil between 105oF and 115oF. The engine oil temperatures have not stabilized. Engine oil temperature rapidly increases under high load and holds steady or slowly increases under light load conditions. Thus the engine oil temperature has not reached equilibrium and its operating temperature is unknown but is well over 200oF. It should be noted that oil-fed superchargers typically use engine oil that has run through several feet of hose and this gives the oil an opportunity to cool down slightly before being injected into the oil-fed supercharger. Typically, a 10oF - 15oF drop in oil temperature is seen in an automotive application between the engine block and oil-fed
supercharger.

I copied this info from the porcharger link below. There are also charts in the link; especially note figure 3. Hope this helps.

Here's the link:
http://www.procharger.com/consumer_a...6_oil_temp.pdf
http://www.procharger.com/consumer_alert.shtml
This appears to be a very conclusive test. Maybe I'll re-think my decision before it's too late........... Nice post!!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 AM
skamp
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This appears to be a very conclusive test. Maybe I'll re-think my decision before it's too late........... Nice post!!
I changed mine to the V-3 yesterday. I was orginally sold on the V-2 but since I may be doing the install myself and the post above shows lower temps and no real downside I switched.

Steve
Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Triz... VERY interesting find. Thank you for sharing the info
Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice to know those guys a Vortech have done their homework
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
69 Vette
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 85 Posts

7. V-3 Install is easy, tapping the pan for the V-2 is the worst part on a C-6. plus easy to uninstall
ask Power-labs.

+ 1

V3 for me

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech V2 Vs. V3

Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 PM
TRIZ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ask Power-labs.

Don't forget the reverse of #6 above:
6a. Engine gets possible metal contamination if you blow your blower.

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
Triz... VERY interesting find. Thank you for sharing the info
Thanks Mr. Big.
I have a V-2. V-3 self-contained wasn't available at the time.
Definitely a V-3 if had the choice.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

aTX427 found a different article with the same conclusion (engine oil runs hotter than self-contained SC oil) on the last page of this thread;
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...-return-4.html

Article;
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ort_mafia.html

Self-contained would be my choice if I were shopping for a SC.

San
Old 01-04-2009, 03:48 PM
08 silver vette
Advanced

It was the V-3 for me Very happy with it!

Quick Reply: Vortech V2 Vs. V3