C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there such thing as a STEALTHY Forced Induction (SC/turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 AM
supercoolsix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is there such thing as a STEALTHY Forced Induction (SC/turbo)

is there such thing as a STEALTHY Forced Induction (SC/turbo)...

just curious..!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 AM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes there is, get yourself a Vortech SQ (super quite) SC V2 T-trim or something similar, no one will ever know you got a supercharger
Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

don't forget to use a proper bypass valve (ie: NOT an external blow off valve).

If you vent the charge tubing back into the intake instead of the atmosphere, there should be almost no perceptible blow off.

an anodized black intercooler would be cool too (I don't know if I would try plain spray paint, maybe radiator paint would work without hurting thermal transfer).....

Last edited by JSB LS3; 01-14-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 AM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a pretty big street racing scene here, not endorsing it of course, and there is a guy with an F-body that has a turbo mounted where the AC compressor would go. Its all done so he can pop the hood and at first glance all it looks like is he has an aftermarket air intake. Blow off is hidden, all that stuff. It makes over 800. On an evening inspection I don't think you would know it was there, especially without hearing it run. Its on electric cut outs so even the exhaust is quiet. So, yes to a certain degree you can hide lots of things. But, you'll still here stuff if you're smart.

When I raced Mustangs I knew you couldn't get much past 450 without forging the bottom end. So, I would always look for head bolts and for the rivets for Cometic gaskets. If it was stock, even with a blower I knew what I was up against, easy squeezy. If you are asking these questions you are up to no good. Shame on you! lol
Old 01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

My car is pretty stealthy. I bet from 4 or 5 miles away you couldn't even hear it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 AM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Our Vortech setups are fairly quiet. We put a filter on our blowoff valve which seems to quiet down the "swoosh" sound.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve@AandACorvette
Our Vortech setups are fairly quiet. We put a filter on our blowoff valve which seems to quiet down the "swoosh" sound.

Bingo. One of the reasons I went with the A&A kit and a Vortech SQ (Super Quiet) blower.
From the outside, it looks asolutely, positively 100% stock: No raised hoods, no hood cowels, no vents, no gauge pods no gauges, etc...
The intercooler is perfectly hidden behind a wire mesh: You really have to know what you are looking for to see it:

The Vortech Blow Off Valve has a filter on it and is completely inaudible on throttle lifts below 3000RPM or so:

The exhaust is a stock C6 Z06 Exhaust automatically actuated when I step on the gas when cruising, my car is not one DB louder than a stock Corvette.

And the blower makes virtually ZERO noise at idle; if you heard my car idling with the hood closed you would never know it wasn't stock.

The only givaway is that once the RPMs come up some there is some supercharger whine, so when I'm driving around town and doing, say, 1500 - 2000RPMs you can tell it has a blower on it... Its funny because even random people in the street know something is up and I hear a lot of "wows" and "nice car!", people point, etc... It is very distinct. Once the RPMs get a bit higher (3000 - 4000RPM) the blower whine seems to disappear as it gets overwhelmed with other noises in the car, but the BOV discharge becomes more noticeable. I don't believe you would be able to roll your window down next to me at 60MPH and hear that the car is supercharged though. I am almost 100% sure of it.

I love it
Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you pop your hood, then the simple answer is no.

However, as others have said, lots of quiet combos out there if you don't plan on popping your hood.

LOL at Jorday's comment!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:00 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a TTi, pop the hood open and yo see almost NOTHING, but the intake pipe, which if painted flat black would look like a normal CAI.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Yes there is.

This car in the pictures below sound, idles, drives and behaves like a 100% normal stock C6. No gauges, no bling nothing up untill you floor it!

I love stealth
Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I went the opposite direction: Headers, Bullets and a tial 50mm w/ my ECS SL1500. I figure if I scare everyone away, i don't have to worry about anyone challenging me
Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 AM
supercoolsix
Burning Brakes

thanks for your replies everyone.. Vortech SQ2 seems tempting
Old 01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by supercoolsix
is there such thing as a STEALTHY Forced Induction (SC/turbo)...

just curious..!
Looks-wise? Or Sound-wise? Or both?

Are you looking to hide the components, or hide the typical sounds of FI?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeshawn
yes there is, get yourself a Vortech SQ (super quite) SC V2 T-trim or something similar, no one will ever know you got a supercharger
I followed RocknBlue to the muffler shop and could hear his V3-T from 2-3 car lengths behind him. The whistle was unmistakable. This was just motoring around the streets. And I am old and deaf..
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 AM
o0 zeno 0o
Burning Brakes

The T is definitely louder over time than the S... But to hear it from 2-3 cars behind?! Anything over idle and it's pretty hard to catch.. New, you would have to really be listening hard, and even then you might miss it.

Old guy, maybe.. But if your hearing it from 2-3 cars back your hearing isn't just fine, but you've been listening for sh!+ like that for quite a while...
Old 01-16-2009, 02:33 AM
Black02SS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is the T trim louder then the S? I assume a YSI is even louder then?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 AM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Why is the T trim louder then the S? I assume a YSI is even louder then?
Some of the T-Trims out there are V-1, which have the straight cut gears, which are definitely louder. The V-2 and V-3 S, Si and T all have helical cut gears, which are substantially quieter.

Even the YSi has helical gears, you can hear it, but its not stupid loud. For some reason, on the cars we have done, the JT is louder than the YSi, yet they share the same gearcase? Murphy's law I guess.

Get notified of new replies

To is there such thing as a STEALTHY Forced Induction (SC/turbo)

Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve@AandACorvette
Some of the T-Trims out there are V-1, which have the straight cut gears, which are definitely louder. The V-2 and V-3 S, Si and T all have helical cut gears, which are substantially quieter.

Even the YSi has helical gears, you can hear it, but its not stupid loud. For some reason, on the cars we have done, the JT is louder than the YSi, yet they share the same gearcase? Murphy's law I guess.

One of the Engineers at Vortech told me that each blower within the same trim sounds a little bit different, with some of them being considerably louder than others, and that the pitch and loudness also changes some over time...
Weird. I can confirm mine is unmistakeably louder some days than others, and I have no idea why.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:33 PM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
One of the Engineers at Vortech told me that each blower within the same trim sounds a little bit different, with some of them being considerably louder than others, and that the pitch and loudness also changes some over time...
Weird. I can confirm mine is unmistakeably louder some days than others, and I have no idea why.
In fact, you could take a blower that seemed quiet on one car and put it on another car and it could be loud.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 PM
o0 zeno 0o
Burning Brakes

I know the brand new T-trim I got from Andy was whisper quiet on my car. When the main seal blew, Jeff (my Tuner) was nice enough to let me use his referb T-trim (also V2) and it was quite a noticable sound difference.

Either way, it's not the easiest thing to hear if your not looking for it.

Quick Reply: is there such thing as a STEALTHY Forced Induction (SC/turbo)