C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procharger tensioner problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:36 PM
prochargedC6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger tensioner problem

I cant take the squealing anymore. I have changed the tensioner 3 times and the belt countless times now and still seem to have the same problem again and again. it seems to be that every time i change the belt we think the problem is solved . for the fist 50 miles or so the noise is gone and the belt appears to be riding down the center of the tensioner pulley. after that the noise starts to come back and the belt starts to ride towards the front and rubs on the lip of the pulley. the shop that had changed the last tensioner assembly said that they did not see any problem with the pulley alignment. I have recently received a new tensioner w/ the new plastic pulley from procharger but i am hesitant to install it because i am afraid that i am going to eventually throw the belt if it rides to the front of the pulley. it seems that if i put pressure behind the tensioner while the car is running the belt seems to run back to the middle of the belt which leads me to believe that the tensioner needs to somehow be shimmed or it is just a bad unit.
any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 09:04 AM
0EPP
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would swap the tensioners and keep an eye on it. Bob
Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 AM
C6 ROLLER
Burning Brakes

My 6 rib set-up was the same way as the belt would ride towards the front and the edge of the belt would get a bit worn and eventually it would be thrown or destroyed. I would have to check the belt before going out driving and worry when I got on it that it would be game over for me. I lost a few belts at top end to this alignment problem and I was told that it was because of the horsepower of my car and NOT the alignment. I was told it was dead on and it wasn't because when it was checked by Geoff at Next Level Performance with the laser aligning tool it was off. It looked dead on by eye but WITH the tool you could see where it needed to be aligned. I also upgraded to the 8 rib set-up and Andy's bracket and since then I haven't had a belt problem EVER.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:32 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

After you change to the new tensioner put on a Gatorback belt. The stock belts always seem to squeal for some reason. I had to replace the original ATI belt and after ECS made some blower modifications they installed a NAPA belt and I had to replace it right away because of the squeal when cold. Both times after installing the Gatorback belt all noise was completely eliminated.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
prochargedC6
Heel & Toe

I am using a gatorback belt now and it squeals. if i cant get the belt to stop running to the front of the pulley and rubbing on the lip i don't think it will matter what belt i use. by the way the squeal only happens when the car is under load. if at idle or clutch is pushed in while coming to a light or stop sign the noise goes away.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by prochargedC6
I am using a gatorback belt now and it squeals. if i cant get the belt to stop running to the front of the pulley and rubbing on the lip i don't think it will matter what belt i use. by the way the squeal only happens when the car is under load. if at idle or clutch is pushed in while coming to a light or stop sign the noise goes away.
Sounds like you've got a pretty bad alignment problem or something loose. As Charlie said a laser can find that for you.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:21 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by saplumr
Sounds like you've got a pretty bad alignment problem or something loose. As Charlie said a laser can find that for you.
I agree - I never had a noise problem on my 6 rib but I just made the upgrade to an 8 rib and A&A bracket. Sounds like an alignment problem.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 AM
0Mike Norris
Former Vendor

I think you will find that the tensioner with the plastic pulley will help you out a bunch. I had a couple cars with the squeal issue and while waiting for the Procharger fix I went ahead and installed e plastic pulley I have used in the past on the tensioner along with a slightly longer belt and no more squeal.

I would also say you may want to use a new gatorback belt also when you do the tensioner.

If for some reason you end up getting the squeal noise back, then Andy's bracket upgrade will take care of it. It does make it tougher to change a belt with the A&A setup, but then again it should be a non issue with no more belt related problems.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 10-10-2018, 07:44 PM
99redc5vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6 ROLLER
My 6 rib set-up was the same way as the belt would ride towards the front and the edge of the belt would get a bit worn and eventually it would be thrown or destroyed. I would have to check the belt before going out driving and worry when I got on it that it would be game over for me. I lost a few belts at top end to this alignment problem and I was told that it was because of the horsepower of my car and NOT the alignment. I was told it was dead on and it wasn't because when it was checked by Geoff at Next Level Performance with the laser aligning tool it was off. It looked dead on by eye but WITH the tool you could see where it needed to be aligned. I also upgraded to the 8 rib set-up and Andy's bracket and since then I haven't had a belt problem EVER.
i have the same problem now.....no squeelimg but when push hard on gas the belt wants to travel off the tensioner. Do you know what you did to fix this issue? I have laser and looks good all pullies!??
Old 10-10-2018, 11:06 PM
HouseS2k
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 99redc5vette
i have the same problem now.....no squeelimg but when push hard on gas the belt wants to travel off the tensioner. Do you know what you did to fix this issue? I have laser and looks good all pullies!??
bro it’s literally been almost 10 years since the last reply to this thread. Holy revival.....
Old 11-01-2018, 02:06 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

laser alignment will not do, because everything is flexing under load. use a non flanged blower pulley and adjust lower tensioner so its slightly off center. make a few passes and see if belt jumped a rib. if not drive against the rev limiter a couple of times. if belt jumps a rib, move blower pulley that way 1.5 ribs (5mm). adjust tensioner to center and try again.

Well, that was for an ecs paxton actually, but must be similar for procharger.

Last edited by romandian; 11-01-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:13 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Top causes for belt shredding/hop:
1) OEM harmonic balancer - is it wobbling at all? Is it backing off the crank snout toward the front of the car?
2) Pulley alignment. I recommend the Dayco laser alignment kit as it is cheaper than the Gates and does not need to be calibrated. Remember to check for all 3 versions of misalignment.
3) Flexing/misaligned tensioner. I ran into this problem with my procharger tensioner. Replaced the pulley and i-bolt and it only got worse. Switched to A&A bracket last week and SO FAR no problems.
4) belt too tight or too loose.

I'd check #1 first if you keep getting the squeaking.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:55 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if all else fails an a&a bracket should fix it, all around it's just a much better design

Last edited by neutron82; 11-08-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:45 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

So I have no issues so far out of my procharger bracket. But when looking the notches on the bracket, Mine sitting turned off is In the middle not tightened to the bottom one... I also am running low boost, and a big pulley so maybe that's why?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:02 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Originally Posted by mittens
So I have no issues so far out of my procharger bracket. But when looking the notches on the bracket, Mine sitting turned off is In the middle not tightened to the bottom one... I also am running low boost, and a big pulley so maybe that's why?
I’m not really understanding your question or problem. Pics would also help.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:16 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

On the procharger tensioner there is 2 notches on one side an a single on the belt side, and you supposed to have them lined up with one of the 2, mine is in the middle.

Last edited by mittens; 11-09-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:30 PM
theandrewo
Pro

To my understanding (source: Procharger tech on the phone), it should be in the middle of those two notches, AFTER your belt is tightened down.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Ok well mine is in the middle but I was reading another guys thread where he was having problems and he was saying it shoul dbe aligned with one of them (I don't remember which one).

Guess I will let her ride until I havbe a issue ha
Old 11-11-2018, 07:05 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

I agree that it should be in the middle of the 2 marks

Get notified of new replies

To Procharger tensioner problem

Quick Reply: Procharger tensioner problem