C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turbo - Your inputs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:38 AM
Nooreaga
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo - Your inputs

Hello Everyone, this is my first post on Corvette Forum. I just bought a 2006 z06 with a blown engine. I'm planning to rebuild the engine using an LSX block from GM Performance parts with all new insides and twin turbo it.

My goal is to hit 750 HP to the wheel, but I wanted to get some input - I have read many different opinions about how much power the block can handle, that's why I chose to use the LSX block BUT, I haven't been able to find anything about how much power the STOCK transmission and differential can handle. Any input? If they can't handle the power, what are your recommendations? I want this to be a daily driver. I'm planning on running drag radials
Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

For your goals of 750rw, I think you're wasting money on the LSx block. The stock block can take that power or if your wanting a little peace of mind, just have a set of forged rods and pistons in your current block and then choose a TT kit.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:49 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call or PM me - I have several solutions including LS7, LSx and RHS based platforms.

Originally Posted by Nooreaga
Hello Everyone, this is my first post on Corvette Forum. I just bought a 2006 z06 with a blown engine. I'm planning to rebuild the engine using an LSX block from GM Performance parts with all new insides and twin turbo it.

My goal is to hit 750 HP to the wheel, but I wanted to get some input - I have read many different opinions about how much power the block can handle, that's why I chose to use the LSX block BUT, I haven't been able to find anything about how much power the STOCK transmission and differential can handle. Any input? If they can't handle the power, what are your recommendations? I want this to be a daily driver. I'm planning on running drag radials
Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
For your goals of 750rw, I think you're wasting money on the LSx block. The stock block can take that power or if your wanting a little peace of mind, just have a set of forged rods and pistons in your current block and then choose a TT kit.
Sorry but I don't think its a wast of money. His motor is blown so some type of machining has to be done to the block. A LSX block is very cheap and supports 2000+hp. So he has room to grow in hp.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Nooreaga
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by GIO-305
Sorry but I don't think its a wast of money. His motor is blown so some type of machining has to be done to the block. A LSX block is very cheap and supports 2000+hp. So he has room to grow in hp.
Thanks GIO - That's my thought. I understand the LS7 engine can handle a lot of power, but constant HIGH psi from twin turbos (8-15 PSI) and wanting to add more int future, I should build a solid foundation correct? As for the handling, I am building the car, so I can just beef up the suspension to handle it, I was thinking pfadt suspension. BUT my main concern is still the transmission and the differential. I dont think they can handle the power, what would you go with? do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
0Jeremy@HOB
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nooreaga
Thanks GIO - That's my thought. I understand the LS7 engine can handle a lot of power, but constant HIGH psi from twin turbos (8-15 PSI) and wanting to add more int future, I should build a solid foundation correct? As for the handling, I am building the car, so I can just beef up the suspension to handle it, I was thinking pfadt suspension. BUT my main concern is still the transmission and the differential. I dont think they can handle the power, what would you go with? do you guys have any suggestions?
Give the good guys at RPM Transmission a call about getting set up with a rock solid transmission and differential.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jeremy@HOB
Give the good guys at RPM Transmission a call about getting set up with a rock solid transmission and differential.
By the way that F2 Z is nasty. keep us updated with that car.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 AM
0Jeremy@HOB
Former Vendor

By the way that F2 Z is nasty. keep us updated with that car.
Thanks buddy
Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on if you are planning on trying to get a number out of the car at the track or not. If your going to be gunning for some serious 60's and low ET's, it would be wise to build the transmission and differential with some of the more well known vendors on this forum. If not, wheelspin will save both from having too much abuse as there isn't going to be a street tire that will hook that much power.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
ZO6er
Burning Brakes

There's alot of guys running stock block and forged internals pushing 7-750 whp. I was running that # on an entire stock block. You say you want to DD it and your goal is 750ish. I think if you are palnning on ******* the hell out of it and eventually want more power then just forge the internals. How much are you willing to spend, are you wanting to do an heads and cam as well? Also it would depend on how a good deal you get from your engine builder too, if money is not an option go with an aftermarket block and 6 bolt your stock heads. Have you talked to a builder yet?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
0Jeremy@HOB
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ZO6er
There's alot of guys running stock block and forged internals pushing 7-750 whp. I was running that # on an entire stock block. You say you want to DD it and your goal is 750ish. I think if you are palnning on ******* the hell out of it and eventually want more power then just forge the internals. How much are you willing to spend, are you wanting to do an heads and cam as well? Also it would depend on how a good deal you get from your engine builder too, if money is not an option go with an aftermarket block and 6 bolt your stock heads. Have you talked to a builder yet?
Very well put. If you have the means of doing a complete 6 bolt motor then by all means build it. Its better to be safe than sorry. With that said though, like ZO6er said, a stock block with a forged rotating assembly will take 750rwhp. Hell our Z06 build with a ProCharger F2 making 1103rwhp is on a stock block and heads. We would have loved to do a 6 bolt motor in that car and will do so in the future but with the entire car being built at once it just wasn't in the budget at the time.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
wazslow
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And is also Iron and very heavy. Already adding twin turbo setup to the car which will add weight. He is better off with an aluminum block for anything in the 750rwhp range.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

RPM Transmissions will take care of your drivetrain needs

If I were to do it again I would stick with an aluminum block with no matter what bore, a short stroke. At 10:1 and a mild cam even stock cubes w/ forged pistons/rods will get you to your goals easy. Just put a combination together that is at it's sweet spot right at your power goal and not just entering it.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wazslow
And is also Iron and very heavy. Already adding twin turbo setup to the car which will add weight. He is better off with an aluminum block for anything in the 750rwhp range.
Yea I know.. 70lb.
Akrapovič Titanium Evolution exhaust 31lb. lost
Braille Lithium-Ion Battery 9.1lbs 21lb. lost
Diet- lose 18lb.
Problem taken care of
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Now is the time to take advantage of that motor being toasted and put something that will really hold. A LSX block is fantastic as it can hold sick power and have the strength of iron... it adds weight but that can be remedied.

You also have solutions from RHS or even a properly sleeved LS2 block. Whatever you do, get the 6-bolt heads on there and call it a day. You will have great clamping and a motor that can see some real boost.

A LSX is what I would do as at that power level, 750rwhp+++ another 70lbs (which can be offset with exhaust, battery, seats, flywheel, brake rotors, wheels+tires, etc.) isn't going to be a big deal.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 PM
1.8t
Drifting

^ What both you and the poster above you don't realize is that the LSX block is 70lbs heavier than your standard production iron block from GM, not aluminium. It is the better part of 150lbs heavier than an LS2 or LS7 block.

Last edited by 1.8t; 04-06-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1.8t
^ What both you and the poster above you don't realize is that the LSX block is 70lbs heavier than your standard production iron block from GM, not aluminium. It is the better part of 150lbs heavier than an LS2 or LS7 block.
Didn't know that. I thought it was 70lb. more then aluminium.
It's still a great block for the price.

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Turbo - Your inputs

Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
1.8t
Drifting

It most definitely is and if your goal is 1500+ hp, then it is by far your best/only option. However, a sleeved aluminium block can handle 1200hp all day long and will do a much better job of keeping the weight off the car and the handling characteristics as close to stock as they can be.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't want the added weight of the LSX block if I only wanted 750hp.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea I know.. 70lb.
Akrapovič Titanium Evolution exhaust 31lb. lost
Braille Lithium-Ion Battery 9.1lbs 21lb. lost
Diet- lose 18lb.
Problem taken care of
weight on the front of the car is a completely different story

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo - Your inputs