C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am thinking of entering Race the Base next year,

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Ken07AOVert
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default I am thinking of entering Race the Base next year,

and wondering what I can do that would push my LS2 2007 Vert up to and north of the 300kph mark? I don't want to go deep into the engine, would a supercharger or turbo get me there? It has tall gears, is the Automatic, and I have been close to 300 already on track day.

I still want to drive this as a DD if I want, maybe it is not worth doing?

Last edited by Ken07AOVert; 08-30-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:06 PM
backchannel
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVert
and wondering what I can do that would push my LS2 2007 Vert up to and north of the 300kph mark? I don't want to go deep into the engine, would a supercharger or turbo get me there? It has tall gears, is the Automatic, and I have been close to 300 already on track day.

I still want to drive this as a DD if I want, maybe it is not worth doing?

Geez Ken - no lid and 300+
Old 08-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Ken07AOVert
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Well, there were other verts there, I figured you only live once.

Is it doable?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, the advertized top speed of an LS2 Corvette is 300km/h exactly. My friend Mike's (armyspeedfreek) went a GPS-Verified 304km/h (189mph) with just headers, exhaust and a tune. Mine did 327km/h (203MPH) and was still accelerating but the alternator died so I lifted. That was with headers, exhaust and a supercharger on 93 octane.

I am not familiar with what Race the Base is, but I will point out that there is an ENORMOUS DIFFERENCE between hitting, say, 320MPH and then slowing down, and attempting to drive a car at those speeds for any significant period of time. Hitting that speed takes a bit of horsepower (my car had 597RWHP, Mike's had 397RWHP). Sustaining them takes extensive heat management efforts; oil coolers, bigger radiators, transmission coolers, rear differential coolers (if you'll be doing anything other than driving straight), ducting, etc...

There is nothing cheap or simple about racing that fast with any kind of safely for long, but if you're just trying to hit the speed for a short period of time, any FI kit on the market today, without exception, will get you there.

Building your car up naturally aspirated will make it easier to manage engine heat, so depending on how much power you want, that'd be the way to do it for racing. It won't be as fast, but if you don't need it to be, it can be more reliable, at least from the thermal aspect of it...

Edit: Just noticed your car is a convertible. You will need a bit more power than a coupe to hit the same speed. I don't know if your convertible roof can stay on at those speeds, but I think it can... I'd imagine its been tested with some margin of safety. That might be worth researching.

Last edited by PowerLabs; 08-30-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Addition...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 PM
wannagofast
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any idea on how fast some of the cars went that were there?? My brother in law is based out of Cold Lake...It looked like some fast rides participated...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Ken07AOVert
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Race the base was a deal that happened locally here on the weekend, the Cold Lake AFB let 100 supercars race their 12,600 ft runway, speed trap at 10,600 feet then 2000 to stop. They raced an F18 Jet against a Enzo, and kicked his butt.

It is the only legal place I have heard of where you can go these speeds, and it definately is not sustained speed. That being said, I know the Saleen cooked, my buddy John cooked his 831 HP GT500, and I think there was another expensive rattle that happened.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 AM
backchannel
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wannagofast
Any idea on how fast some of the cars went that were there?? My brother in law is based out of Cold Lake...It looked like some fast rides participated...
Ford GT 344 TT vette 336

Get notified of new replies

To I am thinking of entering Race the Base next year,

Quick Reply: I am thinking of entering Race the Base next year,