C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?

Winters97gt - 2008 MN6 with A&A Vortech S-Trim and ECS/AlkyControl 100% Methanol Injection system.

This car is bone stock except for the Vortech supercharger kit and the Methanol injection system!

630rwhp 582rwtq - a gain of 230 horsepower and 187 foot pounds of torque over stockl!!!!

Originally Posted by winters97gt

Best shop, best people. Can't even begin to say enough about them and what they have done for me. The work this week was so worth it for me. If I ever have to move, my car will be being shipped for work, even if it has to sit for months for me to afford the shipping.

Got in 1 pass tonight with a new clutch and alky. As the dyno shows, stock c6 ls3 car with A&A and Alky. They kicked me out after 1 pass. Might have been able to go 10.4's in the car with just 2 mods. Unreal how fast these cars are.
--------------------------------

Donald - 2005 MN6 Corvette with A&A Vortech S-Trim supercharger, Methanol injection, heads, cam, FAST 90 and headers. This car came in with all the NA bolt ons making 487rwhp.

650rwhp 547rwtq - a 163 horsepower gain. We had to restrict the power on this Vette to 6400rpm as the horsepower was still heading north!

Here is another comparison advocating methanol injection. We use the ECS/AlkyControl methanol injection system.

In this graph, this is naturally aspirated versus boost with no methanol versus boost with methanol injection.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice comparison, and nice write up. I have a v2, A&A in the garage that I'm about to start installing tomorrow. Completely stock ls2, was looking at getting headers/xpipe..but was thinking for the money...a Meth kit would probably get me more power..since I have a 3.4 pulley. thoughts?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:51 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Dont show this thread to TriniC5.. apparently only Hacks and people who "dont know how to tune" use meth
Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
Dont show this thread to TriniC5.. apparently only Hacks and people who "dont know how to tune" use meth
Got a link? I'd love to rip that post apart.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:55 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
You are late to the party.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSteck
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...stock-ls3.html
Old 08-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Mike Farris
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Are these results representative of what most cars pick up with meth? 50-60hp, I thought it was more 10-20. Looks like I need a kit.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM
swosanity
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I thought that engine blew up.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
I think he gets that from his tuner... who also tried to talk me out of meth and into a larger pulley on my setup.

Instead of following that misguided advice, I found a new tuner... who was more than happy to work with meth and a smaller pulley.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by swosanity
Hey I thought that engine blew up.
Yes, my motor did let go after it left the OP's shop. Over a year ago, not a big deal. But Meth does work, and work very, very well.

Originally Posted by user_name
You are late to the party.

Last edited by winters97gt; 08-29-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

so after reading this post I went and got a snow stage 2 meth injection kit.

Plan to put this v2 supercharger with meth on next week.

I have a 3.4 pulley and 3.8...you think I can run the 3.4 safely on a stock ls2 with meth or is that gonna blow my engine up.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 PM
optimum01
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think some people are afraid of the "if the kit fails" scenario and you are at WOT what happens.... that has happened to people including MADMATT. He didnt realize it had malfunctioned, made his run and well now he has a new motor. Hes not the only one either. Can ones tune be made to compensate in that situation? Just saying it has happened and alot are going the e85 route now it seems, and some are making really large numbers without it. But those are great numbers you made nothing to snicker at...congrats!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:34 PM
orangecrrrush
Pro

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
I think he gets that from his tuner... who also tried to talk me out of meth and into a larger pulley on my setup.

Instead of following that misguided advice, I found a new tuner... who was more than happy to work with meth and a smaller pulley.
I tuned mario's car... I have no issues with guys who want to run meth... when did I ever tell you not to run meth and a larger pulley??

I think you may have me confused with someone else or are full of it.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:35 PM
orangecrrrush
Pro

Originally Posted by optimum01
I think some people are afraid of the "if the kit fails" scenario and you are at WOT what happens.... that has happened to people including MADMATT. He didnt realize it had malfunctioned, made his run and well now he has a new motor. Hes not the only one either. Can ones tune be made to compensate in that situation? Just saying it has happened and alot are going the e85 route now it seems, and some are making really large numbers without it. But those are great numbers you made nothing to snicker at...congrats!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

saw a 200 dollar module that you put on there to warn from inconsistent flow/pressure. looks like 200 dollar insurance for your investment
Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Every meth car I've tuned is set up to not nuke if the meth fails. It's not hard... Leaves a little power on the table, but provides insurance. 700whp over and over is a lot more fun than 730whp for five pulls.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by orangecrrrush
I tuned mario's car... I have no issues with guys who want to run meth... when did I ever tell you not to run meth and a larger pulley??

I think you may have me confused with someone else or are full of it.
TriniC5 stated that his tuner said meth is for idiots and any shop who uses meth are amatures.. so either He's lying.. or not talking about you.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?

Old 08-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on the results......methanol is a no brainer in cars like ours.
The following users liked this post:
2003QuickSilverZ06 (02-04-2016)
Old 08-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by optimum01
I'm one of those that doesn't bother with meth. Not worth it tuning it for every last hp to have it be a ticking bomb.

I say tune it for the fuel you're going to run. Then turn on the meth if you desire. Don't tune the damn thing to rely on the meth. That's what hacks do. Then they claim these amazing numbers like it's hard to risk a motor for good numbers.

I was making 640rwhp on a LS1 with a D1 and a cam on 91 octane in AZ where it's regularly 115* in the summer. No meth needed. So grats OP barely beating my LS1 in power with a larger motor and meth.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:27 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, I made 597WHP / 518RWTQ on 93 octane and a 3.8" pulley on an Si-Trim (LS2 with headers, seeing 10psi at the rev limiter).

Now that I run Methanol, I have to constantly worry about topping it off, and finding Meth in the middle of nowhere any time I take a long road trip. It is a major pain in the butt and the way I deal with it is by carrying a one or two gallon jug of Methanol in the trunk any time I take a long road trip.

Does it make power? Yes, certainly. But so does E85 or any form of race fuel; most people don't run race fuels because it confines you to a few locations that offer it. Meth is not as confining since you can go a few tankfulls before running out (I average 4 tanks of gas per 1.7 gallons of methanol), but it still has that downside.

Just offering the flipside of the coin. The OP asks: "Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?"
The answer is: "Yes if you don't mind refilling it from time to time"

For my next build, I plan on doing without it. I just drive way too far and far too often with my car to rely on anything other than 91 octane pump gas. Even 93 octane is becoming a real challenge when I go across Northern Michigan, Minesota, Wisconsin, etc :-(

Last edited by PowerLabs; 08-31-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?