C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally going boosted ls3+D1sc

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Finally going boosted ls3+D1sc

Well my car finally went under the knife. Parts are sources from various shops and being installed by my VERY trusted mechanic Sam in DFW.
Im going to update the thread with pictures as i get them and as the build progresses. This isnt going to be a crazy 1000+ rwhp build as im sticking with a 100% stock bottom end, but it should be fun.

Nothing to crazy.
car : 08 C6 coupe Z51 Manual.
G6x3 cam out and a DP D1-X cam going in.
Comp 921 springs from my Previous cam setup.
D1SC Kit from Dallas Performance ( Thanks Taylor)
8 rib setup
Tial Q bov
DP Big Mouth Air filter
DP direct drive
AlkyControl Dual nozzle meth kit
KB BoostaPump
Gates HD belts
ID850 injectors From Louis @ GSS Speed shops.(Thanks louis)
Once the car is DONE and i can drive it around a few weeks, it will go back to Sam for a McLeod RXT with Billet Steel McLeod SFI flywheel(purchased from Taylor @ DP)
<non performance stuff
My Dash tronix HUD/DIC V1 projector .
this will be going in too.
i know im forgetting something.. i will add more as i remember.

Here are some of the first pics i have recieved, im hoping to have it completed by Feb 21st.

The car.
2008 c6 coupe 3lt z51 with rear wide body.

Direct drive and belts.

Innovators west 8 rib crank pully

Crank pully on the motor with the crank pinned.

front of the car ready for surgury.

Test fitting the blower to see if the bracket and spacers line up.

Tensioner/bracket

Katech HD timing chain and ARP cam gear bolts

Some new heater hose stuff..

ID850s.

FMIC from the top with Z51 cooler relocated.

Bottom of FMIC

Charge pipe + Tial Q bov.. TIGHT fit with my LG G2 sway bars.

Alky controll meth kit installed..

And incase you were not sure!

Stock pro charger kit front cover.

But since i have the DP BIG MOUTH intake it had to be modified

Almost there!!!

Top view

Another top View.

Painted the mesh grill in the front of my car Black.

Since we use the Windshield washer fluid tank for meth, my mechanic used a replacement tank and mounted it in front. so now i retain the ability to wash my windshield.

Center console with some goodies!

While he was at it, he replaced my front rotors with some Nice new Z51 rotors, Hawk pads and Motul fluid!

car is 99% done!! just have to do some final clean up.

but numbers are in.. VERY conservative tune.. 4 3/8" pully with almost no timing in it.. 10. maybe 11* if i recall.
I Didnt want to have a guage pod, So sam added the boost guage right in my line of vision, with out obstructing view.

This is the graph of Boost VS my 150 wet shot + G6x3.

THis is 13# and 9* Peak timing.

Video of car idling with DP cam.
LG 1 7/8" header.. 3" to NPP closed and open.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYsb4Id4zOc
the car made quite a bit more power then this... but my Tuner SAm Backed out the timing to a very conservative and save area. the goal was not to break any records.. but to have somethign that would hopefully live.

700 rwhp dynp pull. low boost no meth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63FexQwibbY

I cant speak enough about the quality oF workmansship and attention to detail my mechanic/tuner has put into the car.

Last edited by White_Lightning; 03-04-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 PM
froman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still gonna be slooooooooooooow
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see David! Should make some GOOD power! I've got a 3.4 pulley if you need it!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Slvr08Z51
Good to see David! Should make some GOOD power! I've got a 3.4 pulley if you need it!
LOL!!! thanks jay!i think Sam is putting on the 4 3/8" pully

no money for an HKE 416 so no 3.4 for me
Old 02-11-2011, 05:50 AM
kageryu311
Pro

Looks like a nice setup. What are you looking to hit, 700rwhp?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kageryu311
Looks like a nice setup. What are you looking to hit, 700rwhp?
A friend of mine with a d1sc, high flow cats and stock cam hit 660/540. I am hopin that with a fi cam and no cats i can Push 700ish rwhp. Right now im on a stock cluth too, but plan on the mcleod rxt in march. Originally i was planning to roll stock till the clutch gave up, but the rxt seems pretty affordable and holda power well.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 AM
kageryu311
Pro

I see you're getting ready for TX2K11. I hope to see you there.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Slo-Poc
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice build up see yall out at tx2k11, im with the calloutsnola guys.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kageryu311
I see you're getting ready for TX2K11. I hope to see you there.
I wish i was.. i have prior plans that weekend.. but lot's of my DFW friends are going out there.. Maybe in 2012
Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Good to see this happening David. You've been waiting a long time. I think it's going to take some meth and timing to crack 700 though.

I am in the process of leaning out my tune on the meth so I can eek out Joe. I'm guessing ~750ish.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 AM
flyinmedic
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's about time David, glad to see it's getting done. You're gonna love it. Congrats
Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Good to see this happening David. You've been waiting a long time. I think it's going to take some meth and timing to crack 700 though.

I am in the process of leaning out my tune on the meth so I can eek out Joe. I'm guessing ~750ish.
Thanks bill.. not that long i bought the car in july/august 09.. and within 3 months it was bolt ons cam.. then shortly after that sprayed... and now about 16-18 months after purchase boosted
With a 4 3/8" pully i dont know about 750ish but we will see. The goal isnt to squeeze out max power on te d1, but rather a 700ish rwhp combo that isnt pushing the limits of the motor.. MY installer/tuner Sam wants to put together a combo i can enjoy till i decide to go bigger rather then something that will make big power a few months and then need a new motor.. hopefully i can get a good amount of time from my motor.. *knocks on wood*.
BTW the car will have Meth on it.

other wise i would pickup Jays 3.4 pully and call it a day
Originally Posted by flyinmedic
It's about time David, glad to see it's getting done. You're gonna love it. Congrats
Thanks Michael.. im really looking forward to it.

Last edited by White_Lightning; 02-11-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLightning_
Thanks bill.. not that long i bought the car in july/august 09.. and within 3 months it was bolt ons cam.. then shortly after that sprayed... and now about 16-18 months after purchase boosted
With a 4 3/8" pully i dont know about 750ish but we will see. The goal isnt to squeeze out max power on te d1, but rather a 700ish rwhp combo that isnt pushing the limits of the motor.. MY installer/tuner Sam wants to put together a combo i can enjoy till i decide to go bigger rather then something that will make big power a few months and then need a new motor.. hopefully i can get a good amount of time from my motor.. *knocks on wood*.
BTW the car will have Meth on it.

other wise i would pickup Jays 3.4 pully and call it a day

Thanks Michael.. im really looking forward to it.
I did almost the same you're doing when I first bought my 2008 vette and after enjoying the first 400miles I sent it to the shop for a D1SC installation together with valve springs and a cam, to my surprise it made 712rwhp with 10lbs of boost and was fun until it blew, it blew when I decided to give another vette owner a drive, not knowing he had already blew 3 forged motor built by 3 different shops, Ligenfelter. Cartek and VDP.(I gues he holds the record for blowing up motors)
The motor broke a rod taking a piston and the block with it, if I knew what I know today, I would have stick to around 650rwhp and be satisfied, the stock parts are not strong enough to hold out on that amount of power with spirited driving.
Dyno pull is a big difference from sprited street driving under different whether condition and temperature, its a complete different animal which requires stronger parts than oem.
Anotherthing is after installing the D1SC and made 712rwhp I got myself some sticky tires, well that is when the other issues started, first was the clutch, then broke both axles one after the other on different occassion at the track, broke the output shalf in the rear twice at the track and snap the main shalf in the transmission, everything was replaced with stronger parts and I eventually built a 416cu forged motor and is making 860rwhp/810lbs.
I was just saying this so you can have an idea from experience, some of the issues that can occur but hope it don't happen to you.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
I did almost the same you're doing when I first bought my 2008 vette and after enjoying the first 400miles I sent it to the shop for a D1SC installation together with valve springs and a cam, to my surprise it made 712rwhp with 10lbs of boost and was fun until it blew, it blew when I decided to give another vette owner a drive, not knowing he had already blew 3 forged motor built by 3 different shops, Ligenfelter. Cartek and VDP.(I gues he holds the record for blowing up motors)
The motor broke a rod taking a piston and the block with it, if I knew what I know today, I would have stick to around 650rwhp and be satisfied, the stock parts are not strong enough to hold out on that amount of power with spirited driving.
Dyno pull is a big difference from sprited street driving under different whether condition and temperature, its a complete different animal which requires stronger parts than oem.
Anotherthing is after installing the D1SC and made 712rwhp I got myself some sticky tires, well that is when the other issues started, first was the clutch, then broke both axles one after the other on different occassion at the track, broke the output shalf in the rear twice at the track and snap the main shalf in the transmission, everything was replaced with stronger parts and I eventually built a 416cu forged motor and is making 860rwhp/810lbs.
I was just saying this so you can have an idea from experience, some of the issues that can occur but hope it don't happen to you.
I dont know what to tell you .. i know SEVERAL DFW people pulling 700-800 rwhp.. doing regular street 5th gear pulls who havent blown a motor..
Between GSS, DP and my mechanic sam, they have built and tuned 100s of 1000+ rwhp cars. While the car can blow at 500 rwhp too, im confident enough in my tuner to know that 700ish rwhp wont be an issue. But thanks for your concern.

as a matter of fact.. between DFW and houston.. i count 15-20 people i know who have 700 + rwhp ls2/ls3 blown cars.. who beat the crap out of their cars with out issue.. but.. its a machine. it could go any time.. thats why i have a wicked mechanic and betwen Him, Taylor and Louis, some of the most knowledgeable LSx tuners to take queues from.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Flash20
Pro

I dont know what to tell you .. i know SEVERAL DFW people pulling 700-800 rwhp.. doing regular street 5th gear pulls who havent blown a motor..
Between GSS, DP and my mechanic sam, they have built and tuned 100s of 1000+ rwhp cars. While the car can blow at 500 rwhp too, im confident enough in my tuner to know that 700ish rwhp wont be an issue. But thanks for your concern.

as a matter of fact.. between DFW and houston.. i count 15-20 people i know who have 700 + rwhp ls2/ls3 blown cars.. who beat the crap out of their cars with out issue.. but.. its a machine. it could go any time.. thats why i have a wicked mechanic and betwen Him, Taylor and Louis, some of the most knowledgeable LSx tuners to take queues from.
dont forget about joe aka user name, c5 z with cam,meth,blower makes 700+ also.

good luck on the build. should be fun to drive once everything is said and done! cant wait to see it out and about.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Flash20
dont forget about joe aka user name, c5 z with cam,meth,blower makes 700+ also.

good luck on the build. should be fun to drive once everything is said and done! cant wait to see it out and about.
yup.. joe is at 700+ on a stock ls6, Bill 720+ on a stock ls3, jay 710+ on a stock ls3, Big 800 on a P1 and stock ls2..

and all of them beat the crap out of their cars.. im hoping to hit 700ish rwhp.. with moderate boost. wont be crazy fast. but will be a fun car..
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Needs moar tark!!!!!!! should've gone F1C!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Finally going boosted ls3+D1sc

Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
Needs moar tark!!!!!!! should've gone F1C!!!
LOL.. i know if i did an f1c.. i wouldnt be able to justify running low boost
d1sc is a nice little street blower
Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup.. joe is at 700+ on a stock ls6, Bill 720+ on a stock ls3, jay 710+ on a stock ls3, Big 800 on a P1 and stock ls2..

and all of them beat the crap out of their cars.. im hoping to hit 700ish rwhp.. with moderate boost. wont be crazy fast. but will be a fun car..
You will pulley down after your first loss...haha

750 would be EASY with the right pulley on that setup. We have a local guy with almost the same setup. They took timing out to hit 750 safely. I believe it was 10psi, but don't quote me.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by user_name
You will pulley down after your first loss...haha

750 would be EASY with the right pulley on that setup. We have a local guy with almost the same setup. They took timing out to hit 750 safely. I believe it was 10psi, but don't quote me.
yeah i saw that i want the motor to live at least a year or 2 if possible so i really dont want to pully down.. plus with the cars around here.. and extra 50 rwhp wont help me its not like it will help vs a 1000 rwhp vette

Quick Reply: Finally going boosted ls3+D1sc