C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge not working after Eliminator pump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:29 PM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Fuel gauge not working after Eliminator pump!

Already dropped the tanks twice and as per the shop everything is ok
No installation errors!

Fuel gauge currently pointing to empty
And I am getting service fuel / low fuel message
Although more than half of tank are filled
Also it seems am not able to fill all tanks

Engine code is set p0462

Any ideas for the 3rd tanks drop
Old 04-17-2011, 02:58 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

install error.

try this.

with the tanks out, before you go opening anything, wire a multimeter to the fuel sending units to read the resistance. now slowly roll the tank and watch the meter. go from a min to max reading. both tanks should start and stop from the same numbers if both empty.

now if they reading correctly its not a sending unit problem. it is a problem with the fuel transfer. you probley missed an oring or damaged one during the removal.

when i pulled my tanks, the yellow orings fell out and i didn't notice them until i put it back up the first time, but found it before installing the mounting bolt.

sorry your having this problem, but its not a problem with the pump.

-Carl

p.s. did you read this thread?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...fuel-pump.html
Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Hi Again,

After filling the tank with 50 liter,,, the car got full fuel and the pointer worked fine and the pointer was full.. so it is correct now...
I'm keeping an eny to the fuel from time to time and it is going lower slowley (reached until 3/4 the tank).. so it is fine...
All of sudden, the fuel gauge is pointing now to 1/3 of the tank only!!
and all of sudden next time or driving dricing it will go up again to its correct position (which I think it is the correct one) 3/4 of the tank!

so right now the fuel gauge is never displaying empty tank like before!

Today, I got overheating situation where the temp reached 110c and I stopped the car to cool it down and opened the hood for more cooling... it cooled down until 99c then I drive again...50 mitere and the fuel pump sound changed and I see the fuel pressure is decreasing from 58psi to 40 psi and it keep decreasing slowley and I stopped the car immediatley.
I coudn't start the car at all as the fuel pump coudn't deliver more than 40psi even at full speed... we left the car for 2 hours, then it starts ok and the fuel presuure fixe at 58psi!

Im not sure what happening with my fuel system and gauge.. but right now my tuner is afraid to tune my car WOT with these issues! he said it is pretty dangerous!

---------

Thank you Carl, yes I read this and I read the link iside, lot of usefull information to me but I need to check out this with my own eys on my car!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

vapor lock?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

^
^
I'mt not sure if this can occure especially with the in-tank fuel pumps,,, it should be run cooler and not to reach this suituation!

but as I said when I left the car for more than one hour, it seems the fuel pressure has returned normally and car starts!! could it be as you said vapor lock???

Does anybody try to run the eliminator for continues 1 to 1:30 hour ?
outside temp was 35c
coolent temp was between 96c until it reached 110 then I stopped...cooled down to 99c then I start to drive less than mile and fuel pressure starts to drop!!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 PM
C6 Twin Turbo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same issue with the same pump.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

im having zero issues since my install. are you guys runing the pump speed controller?

-carl
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

^
^
Yes, Im running the pump speed controller and it is funcioning well as per the instruction.
For example,,, if you have it at low speed (via switch) and you switch on the ignition key... you will hear the pump running at full speed for couple of seconds then it will return back to low speed which I set the pressure to 58psi and the car starting and running fine with that!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by C6 Twin Turbo
I am having the same issue with the same pump.
Welcome to the club

I hope we wan resolve these issues... the pump is not stable for me which is somthing dangerous at WOT!!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 AM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same pump. I don't have my car back yet to see if I run into this issue but a few other cars running with the same pump are having the same issue after 1/2 a tank of gas and driving more then 20 miles. The shop owner told me that yes it vapor lock and the heat of the pump is boiling the gas and yes there running the speed controller.

Maybe Aeromotive can post on this. The last thing Aeromotive told the shop owner where my car is at was that its not a street pump and don't let the gas go under a 1/2 a tank of gas to fix the problem

I will say this. The minute this happens to me Im just changing fuel system. Im not going through this headache. I been waiting for my car to be finished for to long now to go through this.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:00 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,863 Likes on 2,089 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Heat is the enemy. Driving the car in the winter, no issue. Summer is the acid test. 1/2 tank, 85+ degrees, and the truth will surface.

Elmer
Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Yasei
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a bit worried about the -6AN return line in the HOB fuel system. I think it should be -8AN like the supply side in order to reduce the pressure on the return side. This would take some stress of the pump as well. What do you guys think?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:53 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,863 Likes on 2,089 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Yasei
I'm a bit worried about the -6AN return line in the HOB fuel system. I think it should be -8AN like the supply side in order to reduce the pressure on the return side. This would take some stress of the pump as well. What do you guys think?

My Camaro had -10 to the front and -8 back to the tank. But I was running the A1000. Aeromotive asked for a redesign of the system after the 4th pump. The redesign was done per their specifications and is waiting for summer to arrive in Cincinnati for testing the new design in the heat. I recommended to my son to hop on I275 and do circles around the city. Aeroforce replaced the pumps, regulator, pump controller on their dime. They were really trying to help solve the problem.

This reply is simply relating information about the size of the fuel lines and their ability to help keep gas and pump cool.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 04-24-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by GIO-305
I have the same pump. I don't have my car back yet to see if I run into this issue but a few other cars running with the same pump are having the same issue after 1/2 a tank of gas and driving more then 20 miles. The shop owner told me that yes it vapor lock and the heat of the pump is boiling the gas and yes there running the speed controller.

Maybe Aeromotive can post on this. The last thing Aeromotive told the shop owner where my car is at was that its not a street pump and don't let the gas go under a 1/2 a tank of gas to fix the problem

I will say this. The minute this happens to me Im just changing fuel system. Im not going through this headache. I been waiting for my car to be finished for to long now to go through this.
I do hope that you will not face any issue!! but if you face it you will just change it? common this HOB is almost $2400!!

We need HOB and Aeromotive to comment on this thread as I see it is common issue for most of us till now...

regarding running half of pump or if it was sreet pump or not...these info is really new to me and never heard of it from HOB
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by fafnir
i've ran the tank to almost dry with this setup multiple times already and besides a minor fuel pressure creep downwards progressively over time (took months, also could be the filter, etc), and the fuel gauge always coming up with a bit more fuel every time i park the vehicle for a while (although i've seen a few other GM vehicles do this, not just on a corvette), the pump system has been fine so far

i am not running the the fuel pump controller (yet) and the car thus far has always been in a colder environment, but from extensive testing to tank empty, the fuel system has been reliable - although LOUD

i was told to not run the system at 58 psi but to run the system at 45 psi instead so that the fuel pump will see less resistance therefore not create as much heat and therefore last longer etc

are all of you guys running the system at 58psi?

also, can you guys hear the fuel pump slowing down every time you use anything electrical? e.g. roll up windows and the fuel pump slows for a tick, press brake and the fuel pump slows for a beat, etc?

_
maybe the colder enviroment is what helping your fuel pump...maybe it is still installation mistakes in our setups...dunno yet but it seems common issues with this fueling system.

we need HOB reply... I cannot immagine what will happen if the fuel pump pressure decreased @WOT !
Old 04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts
Tech Contributor

If you have something wrong with the fuel gauge, then that isn't the pump's fault.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:05 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

^
^
^
I agree with you.. and actually im not getting any DTC now and the fuel system is not pointing to "empty" position although I didn't do anything or dropped the tanks! fixed alone!

but please read all the posts and you will know the other issues we run into with other members..

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel gauge not working after Eliminator pump!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:47 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE_SHARK
I do hope that you will not face any issue!! but if you face it you will just change it? common this HOB is almost $2400!!

yes i know but a build that would have taken 2 months max has taken 10+ months so im not in the mood to get it right. It going to have to work the first time or im moving on.

We need HOB and Aeromotive to comment on this thread as I see it is common issue for most of us till now...

I have spoken to Jeremy@HOB to let him know about the issue. Best thing if you did get it from him is call him. He will help and works on making the kit better.

regarding running half of pump or if it was sreet pump or not...these info is really new to me and never heard of it from HOB
As for the issue of the other car at the shop the speed controller was bad. As of now that what they think was the problem. The customer has his car back to see if the samething happens again.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WHITE_SHARK
^
^
^
I agree with you.. and actually im not getting any DTC now and the fuel system is not pointing to "empty" position although I didn't do anything or dropped the tanks! fixed alone!

but please read all the posts and you will know the other issues we run into with other members..
I understand you have other issues... I was simply pointing it out.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:15 PM
0Aeromotive Fuel Systems
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. First off let me say I'm sorry a few of you guys are having issues. These things can be very fustrating. To date we haven't had but a few calls on this and all of them can be traced back to the speed pump contoller settings (there are a few hundred systems in service as we speak). If you are having issues we would like for you to call us as taking to the internet for help can be hit or miss. Please call us at 913-647-7300.

Now for the setting of the speed pump controller. With the vehicle off, jumper the fuel pump relay so it runs with the car off. Set the low voltage side to a minimum of 8.5V (may need more on some vehicles). This is a good starting voltage for most LS base engines.

For the guys that are having issues, please post up the voltage you are running at low speed.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge not working after Eliminator pump!