C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging 2005 C6 Z51 Magnuson MP112

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Danspeed1
Here is an update for where I stand on this.

Spoke with Chris from East Coast Supercharging today. He recommended their small blower cam and a set of springs, an ECS Tensioner for the belt and a few other incidental items. In addition he suggested I go up from a 2.8 to a 3.1 pulley on the supercharger, install an Overdrive pulley on the crank, and run meth. All three of these things I really am not interested in doing. I am not interested in running meth for a few reasons. If I wanted something to refill I would run Nitrous. In addition I have seen the pictures online of the coating removed from the blower rotors as a result of meth and water. That will eventually decrease efficiency and will surely cause problems. Magnuson recommend you not use meth as well. I have had this car 4 years and it has 40K miles.. I plan to have it for another 140K miles... so I don't want to do anything that is going to shorten the life of any of the parts. I UNDERSTAND THE BLOWER PUTS ADDITIONAL STRESS ON THE MOTOR. I am just not looking to wear the blower itself out using meth. In addition this makes the project that much more costly that much quicker.

What I would like to do is run the 2.8 pulley I already have, with the blower cam and the new springs, upgrade the tensioner, add Kooks 1 7/8 headers, and have it tuned. No overdrive pulley, no meth.

Any thoughts on this setup or the longevity. I believe the previous owner was running just this setup without the cam and made over 500HP without any issues? Also does anyone have a ball park as to how much boost I will actually be running after all the flow upgrades are all done (cam,headers)?

DG

What is the rear pulley setup? It is usually underdriven (driveshaft pulley is smaller than drive pulley) on those 112 blowers. If so, you can have it converted to 1:1 rear drive or maybe even reverse the rear pulleys so it's overdriven instead.

Like changing to an overdrive balancer, it allows you to run a larger front blower pulley for better belt grip. I'd recommend doing one or the other.

Also... if you are planning for 10+ psi, you are gonna have some high IAT's. That's why ECS is recommending meth. Just sayin'....
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Here is an update for where I stand on this.

Spoke with Chris from East Coast Supercharging today. He recommended their small blower cam and a set of springs, an ECS Tensioner for the belt and a few other incidental items. In addition he suggested I go up from a 2.8 to a 3.1 pulley on the supercharger, install an Overdrive pulley on the crank, and run meth. All three of these things I really am not interested in doing. I am not interested in running meth for a few reasons. If I wanted something to refill I would run Nitrous. In addition I have seen the pictures online of the coating removed from the blower rotors as a result of meth and water. That will eventually decrease efficiency and will surely cause problems. Magnuson recommend you not use meth as well. I have had this car 4 years and it has 40K miles.. I plan to have it for another 140K miles... so I don't want to do anything that is going to shorten the life of any of the parts. I UNDERSTAND THE BLOWER PUTS ADDITIONAL STRESS ON THE MOTOR. I am just not looking to wear the blower itself out using meth. In addition this makes the project that much more costly that much quicker.

What I would like to do is run the 2.8 pulley I already have, with the blower cam and the new springs, upgrade the tensioner, add Kooks 1 7/8 headers, and have it tuned. No overdrive pulley, no meth.

Any thoughts on this setup or the longevity. I believe the previous owner was running just this setup without the cam and made over 500HP without any issues? Also does anyone have a ball park as to how much boost I will actually be running after all the flow upgrades are all done (cam,headers)?

DG
If you're looking to squeeze every last hp out of this rig, add the meth and o/d pulley setup. You'll be paying a lot for a little more hp. The MP112 Maggies are good for what they were intended to do. 550+ rwhp is doable, but at a high price. 500+ is doable, easily, all day long.

When you spin the snot out of the MP112's, you get high IAT's no matter the boost level. You can add ported heads, big cam, high flow this and that.....and that little heater on top is still going to make heat.

On the other hand, you can slow the blower down, be satisfied with mild boost and HP, and you'll have a really nice street ride. You can have near stock ZR1 power and drivability for a fraction of the cost.

With a 2.8" pulley, mild blower cam, LT's, and a free flowing exhaust, you should be in the 7 to 8psi range. Probably 515ish rwhp (M6 on a cool day). The HD tensioner is a good idea.

If you do decide to use meth, I don't think it will hurt the blower. I ran w/w fluid on and MP112 and 122 for 60K miles and the impellars looked perfect other than being blue in color. Ran straight meth on one of my TVS blowers for 15 or 20K with no issues either. Took it off because I didn't think it was worth the hassle.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
On the other hand, you can slow the blower down, be satisfied with mild boost and HP, and you'll have a really nice street ride. You can have near stock ZR1 power and drivability for a fraction of the cost.

With a 2.8" pulley, mild blower cam, LT's, and a free flowing exhaust, you should be in the 7 to 8psi range. Probably 515ish rwhp (M6 on a cool day). The HD tensioner is a good idea.
I can be satisfied with those numbers. With that said, what are the supposed benefits to swapping the 2.8 to a 3.1 and installing an overdrive pulley as I have been directed that this is the "proper" way to do things... and was not given an explanation on why.

DG
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

I can be satisfied with those numbers. With that said, what are the supposed benefits to swapping the 2.8 to a 3.1 and installing an overdrive pulley as I have been directed that this is the "proper" way to do things... and was not given an explanation on why.

DG
If you have belt slip, it will come from the front end (serp belt). By overdriving the rears, you can use a bigger front pulley to maintain the same blower speed. Using a bigger front pulley can yield more belt wrap. Belt wrap is that portion of the belt that is actually touching the pulley. The more belt wrap you have, the less chance you have for slippage.

You need to determine what pulleys are on the back of your blower.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by old motorhead
If you have belt slip, it will come from the front end (serp belt). By overdriving the rears, you can use a bigger front pulley to maintain the same blower speed. Using a bigger front pulley can yield more belt wrap. Belt wrap is that portion of the belt that is actually touching the pulley. The more belt wrap you have, the less chance you have for slippage.

You need to determine what pulleys are on the back of your blower.

That's what I keep telling him... but I think what ECS was recommending was changing the crank pulley to a larger diameter 'overdrive' balancer. I'd personally do the rear blower pulley change, since changing the crank pulley on a C6 sucks.

For what it's worth, I never completely got rid of the belt slip on my MP122. I had it built with 1:1 rear pulleys and had the ECS tensioner (which made a big difference). With that final setup I didn't notice any slip when driving, but there would always be rubber dust appearing around the accessory drive parts -- so I know it was there.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Streetk14
That's what I keep telling him... but I think what ECS was recommending was changing the crank pulley to a larger diameter 'overdrive' balancer. I'd personally do the rear blower pulley change, since changing the crank pulley on a C6 sucks.

For what it's worth, I never completely got rid of the belt slip on my MP122. I had it built with 1:1 rear pulleys and had the ECS tensioner (which made a big difference). With that final setup I didn't notice any slip when driving, but there would always be rubber dust appearing around the accessory drive parts -- so I know it was there.
Yep....I'd only use the bigger crank pulley on a max effort rig. The n/a guys pick up 6 to 8 hp by going to a smaller crank pulley. It turns every belt driven accessory slower which saves power. Bigger crank pulley does just the opposite.

I upgraded my MP112 to a 122. It was a front drive. I never had any belt slip issues even using a 2.65 blower pulley. Maybe more belt wrap vs a rear drive/jack shaft setup? That little pulley made a little more boost and a whole lot more heat vs the 2.8" that I ran most of the time. On a 6.0L with the 2.8" pulley, the 122 made about 9psi with blower cam, ported 243 heads, and bolt ons.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Ok,

Took a look at the pulleys . The front is a 2.8 the rears are BOTH 3.2

DG
Old 04-27-2012, 05:32 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Do you have a slotted idler pulley close to the front blower pulley? My truck MP112/122 setup did have it. TVS2300 vette didn't. If you do have it, you can slide it up (I think) to increase belt wrap. Also, use the shortest serp belt you can fit. Tighter the better. A 2.8" didn't slip with my rig, but yours may be different. With a blower cam and good exhaust, you shouldn't have too much boost and heat to deal with.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Ok,

Took a look at the pulleys . The front is a 2.8 the rears are BOTH 3.2

DG
That's good news. I'd probably throw it on as-is and pick up an ECS tensioner.

I had a really similar pulley setup, and it made a little over 10 psi on a 346 with a cam/headers and ported LQ9 heads. It was a 122 blower, though.

I did a ton of reading on the GTO forums when I was building that car. Those guys are really big on the Maggie's, so it might be a good place to do some reading.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Streetk14
That's good news. I'd probably throw it on as-is and pick up an ECS tensioner.

I had a really similar pulley setup, and it made a little over 10 psi on a 346 with a cam/headers and ported LQ9 heads. It was a 122 blower, though.

I did a ton of reading on the GTO forums when I was building that car. Those guys are really big on the Maggie's, so it might be a good place to do some reading.
I recently joined that site as I noticed when I did most of my google searches on MP112 it came back to the GTO forum. Lots off good information on there as well as a few vendors that seem to cater to the MP112.

Tomorrow I am going to call a few places and see if I can gather a few more ideas.

DG
Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

500 rwhp is easy with the mp 112. I am right there with a LPE package. LPE blower cam, CNC heads, ported throttle body, SW headers, upgraded valvetrain and lowered compression. I have the intercooled setup. 7lbs of boost. 2001 LS1 Corvette, manual.

Quick Reply: Supercharging 2005 C6 Z51 Magnuson MP112