C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roger's TVS2300 Magnuson build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I'd sure bump that compression ratio up to 10.5-11:1. You don't have an unlimited amout of blower capacity. Venture over to the ZR1 page and see what those guys do for less than spectacular results. Overdrive crank pulleys and itty bitty snout pulleys. They spin the snot out of the same blower you're using and are stuck in the low 700's best I can tell. Low compression takes a **** load of boost to make power. As long as you have a big blower and/or a couple of turbos, it's great. You don't have that luxury
youre forgetting street car here, pump gas. and I will be turning that magnuson as fast as aftermarket parts will allow lol. overdriven crank pulley smallest nose pulley offered, and overdriven rear pulley. so 20% overdriven and the smallest nose pulley offered basicly. plus im machinig the nose of the charger from 90mm to 102mm and installing a 102mm throttle body and mass air and lingnfelter intake.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWN427
youre forgetting street car here, pump gas. and I will be turning that magnuson as fast as aftermarket parts will allow lol. overdriven crank pulley smallest nose pulley offered, and overdriven rear pulley. so 20% overdriven and the smallest nose pulley offered basicly. plus im machinig the nose of the charger from 90mm to 102mm and installing a 102mm throttle body and mass air and lingnfelter intake.
I've been at 650ish rwhp on a stock long block LS3 (10.7 c/r) for 3 years and 25K+ miles using only pump 93 octane and no meth. Maggie TVS2300, very mild blower cam, bolt ons and 9psi. Build some more power into your motor and your blower won't have to work as hard. Blower not working as hard = lower IAT's = mo powa.

You're right about the t'body upgrades and anything else you can do pre blower to help the air flow. I "found" two psi on my truck tVS just by changing to a more capable air filter.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:22 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

http://youtu.be/gXcEeZEjTuM
Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I've been at 650ish rwhp on a stock long block LS3 (10.7 c/r) for 3 years and 25K+ miles using only pump 93 octane and no meth. Maggie TVS2300, very mild blower cam, bolt ons and 9psi. Build some more power into your motor and your blower won't have to work as hard. Blower not working as hard = lower IAT's = mo powa.

You're right about the t'body upgrades and anything else you can do pre blower to help the air flow. I "found" two psi on my truck tVS just by changing to a more capable air filter.
to be honest the compression ration is something I went back and forth on for weeks. then I just went with that compression. if its too low I will swap out the pistons...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

interesting, any updates?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out "Ray@RDS" on the Camaro5 board. He makes a phenolic spacer that insulates the blower from the engine as well as increasing the area around the intercooler. Boost goes down as power goes up with this mod. Depending on your hood, you may or may not have room. It raises the blower 1/2 to 3/4". 800 rwhp is doable. 1000? Now that's going to be a tough order.
Problem is he makes that spacer for the LS3 style maggie. The LS7 style blower top plate is a totally different plate. Instead of a basic trapezoid shape with straight lines, the LS7 top plate has several scallops ground around the injectors. Plus he is using the LPE hood which is tight already, spacing that blower up will mean another hood. Here is a shot of my blower so you can see the casting and how it goes around each injector, its not impossible to make a spacer for this but it would be expensive to do.

I have basically the same build he is doing. I have the LPE front 10 rib drive system with the larger ATI balancer, the LPE 50mm cogged overdrive rear drive, large cam, all forged bottom end, darton sleeved block, etc etc, there was also no money spared on the good parts. I have Oliver billet rods, Callies crank, custom Arias pistons, LPE ported head and so on. With the money I spent on machining the block with piston oilers, sleeves and so on I could have easily purchased a RHS block had it been available at the time I built this.

He will also find some strange tuning issues that will crop up. When you overdrive that blower like this, couple with a high overlap cam, the right bank will get preferential air, because of the way magnusson designed their manifold and bypass system. There is a HUGE amount of air being bypassed at idle and low engine speeds to 2500 RPM. The fuel trims will be skewed to reflect that issue.

The right bank will indicate a lean condition by as much as +15%, when the left bank will be near normal. He will most certainly have to run a 2 bar SD calibration or at least the HPT upgraded calibration that allows an expanded MAF table. I am running a hybrid variant of it that allows both MAF and boost enrichment. My car runs fine, the fueling issue is transparent to the driver but being who I am I like my cals to be spot on. Believe me I have gone through everything trying to fix this, short of replacing the blower system.

I have the luxury of owning a dyno shop so I have gone through and replaced injectors, o2 sensors, double and tripled checked for intake and exhaust leaks, and not to mention hours on the dyno. Its their **** poor intake manifold design without any sort of runners. If there was runners we would need a 3" taller hood, but we wouldn't have drivability issues. The eforce system with its long runners coupled with high overlap cams does not exhibit these problems. Currently I am contemplating on going with the LPE 850 TT system or something else.

Here is a pic of my completed engine bay:

Last edited by tjwong; 07-14-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:15 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
interesting, any updates?
Engine along with various other parts shipped Monday from Scoggin.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tjwong
Problem is he makes that spacer for the LS3 style maggie. The LS7 style blower top plate is a totally different plate. Instead of a basic trapezoid shape with straight lines, the LS7 top plate has several scallops ground around the injectors. Plus he is using the LPE hood which is tight already, spacing that blower up will mean another hood. Here is a shot of my blower so you can see the casting and how it goes around each injector, its not impossible to make a spacer for this but it would be expensive to do.
yes, hood clearence is extremely tight.

Originally Posted by tjwong
I have basically the same build he is doing. I have the LPE front 10 rib drive system with the larger ATI balancer, the LPE 50mm cogged overdrive rear drive, large cam, all forged bottom end, darton sleeved block, etc etc, there was also no money spared on the good parts. I have Oliver billet rods, Callies crank, custom Arias pistons, LPE ported head and so on. With the money I spent on machining the block with piston oilers, sleeves and so on I could have easily purchased a RHS block had it been available at the time I built this.

He will also find some strange tuning issues that will crop up. When you overdrive that blower like this, couple with a high overlap cam, the right bank will get preferential air, because of the way magnusson designed their manifold and bypass system. There is a HUGE amount of air being bypassed at idle and low engine speeds to 2500 RPM. The fuel trims will be skewed to reflect that issue.

The right bank will indicate a lean condition by as much as +15%, when the left bank will be near normal. He will most certainly have to run a 2 bar SD calibration or at least the HPT upgraded calibration that allows an expanded MAF table. I am running a hybrid variant of it that allows both MAF and boost enrichment. My car runs fine, the fueling issue is transparent to the driver but being who I am I like my cals to be spot on. Believe me I have gone through everything trying to fix this, short of replacing the blower system.

I have the luxury of owning a dyno shop so I have gone through and replaced injectors, o2 sensors, double and tripled checked for intake and exhaust leaks, and not to mention hours on the dyno. Its their **** poor intake manifold design without any sort of runners. If there was runners we would need a 3" taller hood, but we wouldn't have drivability issues. The eforce system with its long runners coupled with high overlap cams does not exhibit these problems. Currently I am contemplating on going with the LPE 850 TT system or something else.
I have a feeling I will be sending you a few p.m.s asking a for advice.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 AM
mdezmond
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my maggie. I set it up on E85 with 18lbs. and put down 803RWHP.. On 92 pump gas with 12psi it does 720RWHP. I just love the instant torque.
The following users liked this post:
streetking408ys (07-14-2023)
Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mdezmond
I love my maggie. I set it up on E85 with 18lbs. and put down 803RWHP.. On 92 pump gas with 12psi it does 720RWHP. I just love the instant torque.
Great numbers! And yes, the raw instant torque is unbelievable
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

dry sump tank insert.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

update: motor and most of the other parts have arrived!!! I am waiting on the fuel system still and a few other odds and ends. Should start the build next week!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's going to be one heck of a build once it's completed. Thanks for supporting us and our parts! Those Drag coilovers and sphericals look great!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:26 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
That's going to be one heck of a build once it's completed. Thanks for supporting us and our parts! Those Drag coilovers and sphericals look great!
No thank you for going above and beyond with your R&D also with your quality control. Every part I purchased was flawless! Great installation instructions! Also recomended ride height and set points. We set the car up exactly as recommended and all I can say is it has done nothing but continue to impress me! I can reach under the car and in 10 minutes set it up to dead hook or auto X. It is absolutely amazing!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Nick Williams 102mm drive by wire....absolute work of art!

Cam Card.. I know its nothing custom but its what was recommended for my build.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:08 AM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, I drank the coolaid and ordered a ECS Dual Nozzle Methanol Kit!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:04 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Opinions welcome

Get notified of new replies

To Roger's TVS2300 Magnuson build thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWN427

Opinions welcome
I love the look of the RTS wheels
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lt1z
I love the look of the RTS wheels
Its still on the rack in the pictures so the car in a inch or 2 higher than normal. And pictures dont do them justice.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

This is where im at so far.

Quick Reply: Roger's TVS2300 Magnuson build thread