C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnuson Ports

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
switchblade six
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnuson Ports

Does anyone know why the ports on my TVS2300 are v shaped and do not match the heads of my LS3?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Sounds like you got one for a cathedral motor, aka ls1/2/6.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:13 PM
switchblade six
Pro

Originally Posted by Unreal
Sounds like you got one for a cathedral motor, aka ls1/2/6.
Don't think so because these are actually like a three sided triangles with rounded corners where cathedral ports are rectangle with a peak on top??

don't see why it would hurt to match them?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Proracing
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have LS3 heads also and my Maggie came the same way. When I called Magnuson to ask about pulley sizes and the rear cog overdrive he asked me how much power I was planning on pushing. So I explained around 750ish.

He explained to me that since I bought an LS3 kit it has triangle ports unlike the LS7 kit to actually restrict airflow, and if I wanted to push more than 650 to the ground I would have to port the Maggie manifold to match the LS3 head ports.

He said no matter how much boost I through at it it wouldn't make more than 650 do to the restriction the triangle ports cause.

So here I am with a brand new blower taking it apart and brought the lower half to a machine shop and had it ported.

This is straight from one of the tech guys at Maggie not my words. I hope this helps answering your question and guiding you in the right direction for your build.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 PM
switchblade six
Pro

Originally Posted by Proracing
I have LS3 heads also and my Maggie came the same way. When I called Magnuson to ask about pulley sizes and the rear cog overdrive he asked me how much power I was planning on pushing. So I explained around 750ish.

He explained to me that since I bought an LS3 kit it has triangle ports unlike the LS7 kit to actually restrict airflow, and if I wanted to push more than 650 to the ground I would have to port the Maggie manifold to match the LS3 head ports.

He said no matter how much boost I through at it it wouldn't make more than 650 do to the restriction the triangle ports cause.

So here I am with a brand new blower taking it apart and brought the lower half to a machine shop and had it ported.

This is straight from one of the tech guys at Maggie not my words. I hope this helps answering your question and guiding you in the right direction for your build.
Hey Paul thanks could not have been answered by a better person..

I am not going for more than 600 now but figure I may as well match them up while its off..
Did you think the restriction is necessary with lower boost?

Did you get my PM? im gonna Pal you ASAP
Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Proracing
Pro

From what Maggie explained to me the ports were made that way so as to not over power a stock LS3. Now on a built LS3 there's no issue. But then again I know guys who are pushing more than 650 on stock bottom ends, but they are using centris not PD's. The sudden shock of all the instant HP from a PD may grenade a stock LS3 were as a centri may not.

As far as the restriction being necessary, I don't think so because the tech from Maggie only stated it was put in place to reduce the max achievable HP. You can alway adjust boost by changing the pulleys if you needed to.

And yes I got your email, thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 AM
switchblade six
Pro

Originally Posted by Proracing
From what Maggie explained to me the ports were made that way so as to not over power a stock LS3. Now on a built LS3 there's no issue. But then again I know guys who are pushing more than 650 on stock bottom ends, but they are using centris not PD's. The sudden shock of all the instant HP from a PD may grenade a stock LS3 were as a centri may not.

As far as the restriction being necessary, I don't think so because the tech from Maggie only stated it was put in place to reduce the max achievable HP. You can alway adjust boost by changing the pulleys if you needed to.

And yes I got your email, thanks!
Ok perfect thanks..
Did you have to do anything to boost fuel pressure/volume?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Proracing
Pro

Yes, I have a return style fuel system with the Aeromotive eliminator fuel pump, fuel regulator, and FAST 90# injectors.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,337 Likes on 945 Posts

I've always heard the port mismatch was more to equalize flow and reduce emissions. That limiting boost explanation may be Magnuson's official line....but I don't buy it. My new Heartbeat's ports look just like an LS3's intake ports. I wonder why they don't limit boost on that one. I have a catty port TVS2300 on my truck and the ports are pretty well matched on that one too.

My old Vette has been running at around 650rwhp for the better part of 5 years now. It's not too hard to get them up around 700 before running into belt slip, etc. They'll go higher, but that's where the dollar spent per hp gained equation gets ugly in my eyes. More ribs on the pulleys and more heat to deal with. Porting the manifold and maybe a spacer/insulating plate would help if wanting more than 700.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

What a crock! If they wanted to limit output, why not just sell it with a bigger upper pulley to limit boost and let folks pulley down at their own risk??

Maybe they just want to make sure that their new overpriced Heartbeat isn't outpaced by their old TVS???
Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Proracing
Pro

I agree with you totally!! When he explained that to me it really didn't make any sense, especially when the LS7 kit isn't like that and it only makes like 5psi out of the box. So the port design for the LS3 really doesn't make sense especially when he instructed that I have them ported. Your probably correct about them not wanting it to produce the same as the heartbeat so they can promote there new product.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 PM
m_LeDez
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Houston, Tx.....'05 Corvette M6 LS3 Magnuson Heartbeat
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CI GS
Maybe they just want to make sure that their new "overpriced" Heartbeat isn't outpaced by their old TVS???
.....wait...not so fast.

The TVS 2300 requires an aftermarket hood & paint (~$1,200-1,500). You have to consider that cost as a true $$$ comparison between both kits, right? Most (new) TVS 2300 kits sell for ~$7,500 + the additional expense for a new hood/paint = ~$9k. I paid slightly more for the price of a new LS3 TVS 2300 (under $8k) for my LS3 Heartbeat making ~700 rwhp. Maybe due to the ports???

Lets face it....most centri guys would say, "BOTH kits are overpriced and UNDER powered!"

Here's a pic of my Heartbeat ports prior to install....They are both awesome kits. Can't wait to see the results of the ported manifolds. Keep us posted!

Mike

Old 02-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd have to agree that the design of the old jackshaft TVS2300 manifold wasn't some premeditated conspiracy to make their (likely unplanned at the time) future blower design look better.

I know they did a lot of R&D to make the Heartbeat as efficient as possible. Making sure the intake manifold can flow as much as the heads can take is part of that, I'm sure.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Apologies for my earlier sudden outburst. It's just that if I put myself in the OPs shoes, I would be really p!ssed discovering that after buying a new blower. I still can't comprehend why they would build a blower that is custom made for a specific head with mismatched intake ports, just to limit power output? The only time I've seen that is back in the day when some folks used to put oval port BBC 6-71 roots blowers on rectangular port heads. It didn't make any sense to me then either, but I guess it's better that using a blower with bigger ports than the head.
And don't get me wrong, I really like the Heartbeat and having been considering buying one myself ever since I first saw it on here (I'm waiting until old motorhead gets his installed and tuned). However, I still feel it is a bit overpriced, especially compared to the E-force.
But, Mike, you are right that you have to factor in the cost of a new hood with the TVS. In light of that, with no intended offense to the OP, I can't see why anyone would want to buy a regular TVS now, if you have to buy a hood AND port the manifold?
BTW: where did you find your Heartbeat for under $8,000? Every one that I've seen advertised has been well north of $8K??
Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,337 Likes on 945 Posts

Here's an interesting thread about port matching the LS3 head to the Maggie TVS from the Camaro 5 board.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340672
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 AM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

The LS3 combustion system is very sensitive to misfire at light load, especially when port velocity is very low and in-cylinder mixing isn't all that great. If you chop off a bunch of the runner length (as is done with many positive displacement compressor designs), then the problem gets noticeably worse. Blocking off part of the port raises port velocity at idle and light load, greatly improving engine roughness and reducing misfire. The thought here is that the compressor can still push through the restriction up top well enough to make power, while having an improved combustion quality at lighter loads.

If you were to port match a completely stock LS3/magnacharger combo, it is very likely that you would experience a significant decrease in driveability and stability at light load and idle. The effect goes away as you run more boost (high blower speed, more losses, higher load required to turn the blower at idle) or a larger camshaft (again, higher load required to find a stable idle).
Old 02-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CI GS
BTW: where did you find your Heartbeat for under $8,000? Every one that I've seen advertised has been well north of $8K??
Just as an FYI, I paid $6800 for my dry-sump Heartbeat system. That was a pretty damn good deal, but they can be had for quite a bit less than retail if you know where to look and the time is right.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnuson Ports

Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TurboLX
The LS3 combustion system is very sensitive to misfire at light load, especially when port velocity is very low and in-cylinder mixing isn't all that great. If you chop off a bunch of the runner length (as is done with many positive displacement compressor designs), then the problem gets noticeably worse. Blocking off part of the port raises port velocity at idle and light load, greatly improving engine roughness and reducing misfire. The thought here is that the compressor can still push through the restriction up top well enough to make power, while having an improved combustion quality at lighter loads.

If you were to port match a completely stock LS3/magnacharger combo, it is very likely that you would experience a significant decrease in driveability and stability at light load and idle. The effect goes away as you run more boost (high blower speed, more losses, higher load required to turn the blower at idle) or a larger camshaft (again, higher load required to find a stable idle).
That makes MUCH more sense than those thinking it was intended as some kind of power limiting strategy.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 PM
switchblade six
Pro

Originally Posted by TurboLX

Thank you that makes sense and it just saved me a lot of time..
Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Proracing
Pro

Never really said it was a power limiting strategy. That was one theory, maybe a bad one lol, but that's all it was IMO. But the fact doesn't change that Magnuson themselves stated to push over 650rwhp on a mustang dyno not a dynojet, which is a huge differance, I would need to port the manifold. Hopefully it will all work out great for me, it's a pretty big build with a stroker motor and big cam so the issue needing the turbulence created by the triangular port design at low idle won't be an issue for me. Keep your fingers crossed lol. Car is at the shop and prob won't be dynoed till end of next week. I'll post numbers up as soon as I get them.

PS: this thread so for has been great and the saying goes, you learn something new everyday. Now I know why they designed the ports that way.

Also I love the new heartbeat and was thinking about it but the deal I got on a brand new still in the box unopened LS3 Maggie TVS2300 I couldn't pass up. $5500 shipped to my door!! I did the install myself and already had the hood so it worked out for me and I saved a TON of $$$

Quick Reply: Magnuson Ports