C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MM catch can problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM
gameover4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default MM catch can problems

i ordered a wild MM catch can for 800hp for my car which only makes about 750rwhp. the catch can constantly smokes out of filter and not sure why. I have made sure everything is connected correctly and ensured pcv is good.

What could be my issue? talk to MM and he says can is seeing to much pressure. could this be a sign my engine is failing?
need some help.

c6z ls7 stock bottom end, aa kit 3.6 pulley, Heads,cam, headers, meth.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Please post a video of this to help.

The can vents pressure above atmosphere, it is a protection feature not a malfunction.

BUT

Some builds that have:
-low camshaft vacuum
-loose ring gap, worn rings
-larger than stock displacement
-mechanical damage

will end up with a pcv system that is 'off balance'; meaning that the amount of vacuum supplied is not enough to draw off all the blowby produced during normal operation.

A compression check is a quick way to verify all 8 cylinders are good, and you can also inspect for any large variance from spark plug to plug while you are there.

That being taken into account, we can make a small mod to my pcv valve to increase the base vacuum flow by enlarging the tip orifice up to two sizes for these rare circumstances when the engine is operating normally just needs a little more pcv suction

WARNING the pcv system is a controlled vacuum leak. you cannot continue to enlarge this port further or remove the pcv valve, as eventually you will allow so much air around the throttle blade you will lose control of throttle at idle and decel.

Your car was doing this before the can, but you just could not see it, since it was pumping into the cold air tubing.
It is not a malfunction or problem of the can. As I said I do have a completely different higher flowing valve that is used <1% of the time, but 0% of the time so far has been required on a stock bottom end.

Sometimes pistons break and you will have a related spike in crank pressure. I have been there myself personally. This is especially true for stock pistons.. high compression engines.. in supercharged applications.. on pump gas. (You have all of these, which is why we should get that checked out).
Here is a good example of the type of thing that would for sure be a compromised cylinder.

Hope that helps.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 05-16-2017, 12:16 PM
gameover4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

david, im the one thats been sending you text lately on the issue. Kinda sounded like i need to investigate other things from here. i drilled the first one 7/32nd and still smoking. I can do compression pretty easy to determine. just afraid to leave it smoking entire time like that
Old 05-16-2017, 12:38 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah I'd do compression check and see what you get first

Get notified of new replies

To MM catch can problems

Quick Reply: MM catch can problems