C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would my current cam be ok for a ECS 1500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:38 PM
Kolk1
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Would my current cam be ok for a ECS 1500?

Debating about putting on the ECS kit as soon as it gets here, or go ahead and have another cam spec'd for my tastes. The cam I have now was meant to be a highway/roll type cam. I love the way it runs right now being NA. Good chop, doesn't surge at low rpms, so on. I wish it had a hair more down low, but when racing I typically don't start until upper rpms anyway.

Its a LS3, M6, base model gearing. Kook headers, kook x pipe with high flow cats, obviously doing a ECS kit soon.

It's a 8620 Cam with 370 lobes

231/244 .629/.615 112+3

i love the way the car drives now, so that's why I'd hate to swap it out, but I'm sure I could get another one spec'd that rode just as good but meant for a blower. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd slap on the SC and let it eat. I've seen a million times where ppl will tell you, that you need a FI cam and so on. And don't get me wrong if you were starting from scratch I might pick something else, but in your case I bet its going to run very good with boost on it. And if you don't like it or see the performance you want, THEN change it. JMO. GL!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:33 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by inspector12
I'd slap on the SC and let it eat. I've seen a million times where ppl will tell you, that you need a FI cam and so on. And don't get me wrong if you were starting from scratch I might pick something else, but in your case I bet its going to run very good with boost on it. And if you don't like it or see the performance you want, THEN change it. JMO. GL!
Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It'll be fine.

If you want to change it then change it but I wouldn't change it just because you're putting a blower on it. If you wanted better manners or something then yeah, change it.. but doesn't sound like that's an issue

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-11-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:50 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Here's a link to the results of an A6/LS3/ECS car with one of those "N/A spec cams".
I think you will agree that the cam doesn't seem to be holding him back.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-50-video.html
Old 06-11-2017, 03:57 PM
soldier4life
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn I'd love to keep my Brian Tooley stage 4 n/a cam. Motors out and built so for me its best to just change to another cam I can benefit more out of. At this point I might as well. Would it work? Yes, but not optimal for my build. Oh well... need to call them and see if they have a cam similar to the 4 but for boost.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Kolk1
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I'll just keep it. I just put it in a couple months ago and as a NA cam I love it. My only thought was maybe with a blower I'd want something with a lower rpm band, but the ECS uses restrictor plates to get me more low end anyway. Sound like I'll try it out, and unless something goes wrong, leave it alone. lol.

Sounds like whats going to be holding me back next is my LS7 clutch. I wonder how much it will hold since I don't really race from a dig... hmm..

My last C6 had a A&A kit on it with a RXT clutch. I need to get another one of those clutches. It was nice.

Last edited by Kolk1; 06-11-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolk1
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I'll just keep it. I just put it in a couple months ago and as a NA cam I love it. My only thought was maybe with a blower I'd want something with a lower rpm band, but the ECS uses restrictor plates to get me more low end anyway. Sound like I'll try it out, and unless something goes wrong, leave it alone. lol.

Sounds like whats going to be holding me back next is my LS7 clutch. I wonder how much it will hold since I don't really race from a dig... hmm..

My last C6 had a A&A kit on it with a RXT clutch. I need to get another one of those clutches. It was nice.
As you know, I'm local and have an RXT clutch CBI installed. It has 6k miles on it, but there were signs of clutch release issues in my trans. You could send it back to McLeod to have it checked/rebuilt if you're interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Would my current cam be ok for a ECS 1500?

Quick Reply: Would my current cam be ok for a ECS 1500?