C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cam recommendation

Was wondering if there was a cam that would work well with headers and CAI and tune....that would also work well in the future with a supercharged application?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:50 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewdog
Was wondering if there was a cam that would work well with headers and CAI and tune....that would also work well in the future with a supercharged application?
There are a bunch of questions that need answers before anyone can help you with a cam choice. Goals, blower preference, transmission, torque converter, good manners, not quite so good manners, lousy manners, does sound make a difference (probably the absolute worst reason to choose a cam), etc, etc, etc.

Yes, there are 100's and 100's of cams that will work both n/a and f/I.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Contact Pat G, Ed C, BTR, etc and talk with them. Even the guys from Comp are great.

Like OM said, all depends on what you want, as cams are a very very personal thing.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Contact Pat G, Ed C, BTR, etc and talk with them. Even the guys from Comp are great.

Like OM said, all depends on what you want, as cams are a very very personal thing.
Don't care about sound, would like to retain drivability. Don't want to fly cut pistons. Will probably do heartbeat supercharger in future. I've been trying to educate myself on application specific cams and I know you don't want a great deal of overlap with a supercharger due to the boost being blown out the exhaust valve during I/E overlap phase? Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 07-10-2018, 01:00 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewdog
Don't care about sound, would like to retain drivability. Don't want to fly cut pistons. Will probably do heartbeat supercharger in future. I've been trying to educate myself on application specific cams and I know you don't want a great deal of overlap with a supercharger due to the boost being blown out the exhaust valve during I/E overlap phase? Am I understanding this correctly?
You won't have anyone, in their right mind, spec you a cam big enough to blow the fuel/air mix straight out the exhaust. Especially when you tell the cam guy that you want good drivability. The guys unreal mentioned won't spec you a cam that will have piston to valve clearance issues either. They're way too sharp for that. If you buy a shelf cam specced for a PD blower, most are going to be really wide LSA cams that are going to be a little lazy on the bottom end without the low RPM full boost of a PD blower. They will scream up top though.

To me, it's better to have a more well rounded cam that might not be optimized for a PD blower in case you don't get that far with your build. You'll sacrifice a little "dyno queen" HP on the top end, but you'll pick up power everywhere else. That's a good tradeoff in my book. Mid 220's on the intake, mid 230's on the exhaust with 114-116 LSA and enough advance to get your DCR in the 8.2:1 range, will pull hard whether you have a blower on top or not.

I used a 224/234 116+2 under my Heartbeat on my last Vette. Near perfect manners, 550+rwtq from 2500 to 5500 rpm, and the HP was still rising a 6500rpm. Peaked at 664. I'll probably use something just slightly bigger with a narrower LSA on my current N/A build. No plans for a blower.....but I've seen me add a blower to the mix before....It will work fine whether blown or not.

Last edited by old motorhead; 07-10-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam recommendation

Quick Reply: Cam recommendation