C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A Secondary Drive + Mechman alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 07:40 PM
LemansbluebyU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

It's probably your s/c belt squealing.....try removing your alternator belt and start the car, see if it still makes the noise. If it does remove the s/c belt and see what happens...… That's what I did to find it was the s/c belt squealing like a stuck pig. It turns out it was the alignment of the s/c with the crank pulley, I got that straightened out and now it's quiet as a mouse and that's with the same original belt
Old 11-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrhand
To come back to this thread the mechman alternator has a very large lip on the pulley, much larger than stock. I really struggled eventually I took the entire pulley off put the belt over and was able to get it on that way. It was a complete pain in the )(*@)#($*@.
The lip on the alternator has nothing to do with installing the belt. You put it over the alternator, only one side of the PS pulley and the jackshaft FIRST, then pop it over the power steering pulley. It's the only way it will work.

Originally Posted by 07blkvette
your exactly right. But how do I go about fixing it?
​​​​​​​ The newer design has absolutely no slip or squeal problems on the 4 rib. You can tighten that belt as much as you want. It's probably the supercharger belt due to some sort of misalignment.
There was no way to tighten the AC belt enough to stop, slip so I redesigned it a couple of years ago. I tested the old design (as well as other brands) and it took about 20-25#, with a torque wrench on the balancer and the alternator locked, to start slipping the belt. The new design is about 60 - 65#. A huge improvement.
You guys can always call me if you need help. (Evenings and weekends included) It will save you a lot of grief.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:34 AM
07blkvette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@A&ACorvette
The lip on the alternator has nothing to do with installing the belt. You put it over the alternator, only one side of the PS pulley and the jackshaft FIRST, then pop it over the power steering pulley. It's the only way it will work.

The newer design has absolutely no slip or squeal problems on the 4 rib. You can tighten that belt as much as you want. It's probably the supercharger belt due to some sort of misalignment.
There was no way to tighten the AC belt enough to stop, slip so I redesigned it a couple of years ago. I tested the old design (as well as other brands) and it took about 20-25#, with a torque wrench on the balancer and the alternator locked, to start slipping the belt. The new design is about 60 - 65#. A huge improvement.
You guys can always call me if you need help. (Evenings and weekends included) It will save you a lot of grief.
its definitely not the supercharger belt. I can have the squeal at start up and spray this belt slip spray on the jackshaft pulley that I can see with a flashlight and the squeal stops immediately.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:37 AM
07blkvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 07blkvette
its definitely not the supercharger belt. I can have the squeal at start up and spray this belt slip spray on the jackshaft pulley that I can see with a flashlight and the squeal stops immediately.
I've tried so many different things, new tensioner new belts. I gave up. If I decide to drive it I spray the pulley and start it and drive. It just sucks when I park for a while and go to start it up and it squeals as I drive off. So embarrassing...
Old 11-26-2018, 10:17 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

I might have missed it but did you say it always squeaked??? Or it just started????
Old 11-27-2018, 11:51 AM
07blkvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by helga203
I might have missed it but did you say it always squeaked??? Or it just started????
It started when I had the new A@A kit installed.

Quick Reply: A&A Secondary Drive + Mechman alternator