C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about 'Heartbeat' installation procedures >

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Questions about 'Heartbeat' installation procedures >

I have been reading the PDF Installation Instructions for the Maggi Heartbeat SC, and have couple of questions for the DIY:

Toward the end of the instructions, it says to reinstall your OEM hood, but it never mentions in the beginning of the instructions that you need to remove the hood.
1. Is it necessary to remove the OEM hood at all ??

Before reading these instructions, I was under the impression that the whole front bumper cover needed to be removed for the install, but reading the instructions, I see nothing about removing the from bumper cover.
2. Is to necessary to remove the front bumper cover ??

The instructions say to install your coils on the new provided mounting brackets using the provided spacers and hardware. Set aside for install after supercharger is installed on the system.
Anyway ... I just purchased a set of Holley 'tall' valve covers to replace the OEM covers. The coils bolt right to these Holley covers without the need for any brackets at all. (see photo below)
3. Do you think I will be able to use these slightly taller valve covers with the Heartbeat SC ??

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 09-15-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:07 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Ron, in answer to the questions you raised:
1. You might not need to remove the hood, but it will make you life so much easier if you do. Removal of the hood is easy, but you’ll need a friend help. Installation is tricky (you’ll need that friend again) in terms of getting the hood aligned properly. But that will be much easier to achieve if, before you even loosen the hood bolts, you take a water based or some other type of eraseable marker and carefully mark the outline of the hood hinge where it meets the hood mounting flange. There’s also a hole in the middle of the hinge, so mark the outline of that while you’re at it. Then when you go to reinstall the hood, that makes it much easier to get the hood right back where it was on the hood hinge. The better your mark, the closer you’ll get it to being exactly where it was.
2. You do NOT have to remove the front bumper cover. There’s a rubber flap under the nose of your car (if it’s a wide body/front feed air flow setup) that you need to remove to slide the H/X core up into position. The only thing you will have to remove is the inner fender liner on the right side in order to move the horns and mount the H/X pump.
3. You do NOT need the Magnuson coil brackets for the Holley valve covers, either the tall or regular height. You’ll only need to use the small bracket supplied by Holley on the right side cover to move the coil for #1 cylinder back away from the alternator. The Holley covers definitely work and look a damn sight better. I’ve had both styles on my car.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

GI GS .... Again I say ... Thanks a bunch !

I now have access to using a rack to put the car up on. Do you think this would be of much help for me or not? ... Seems like except for installing the front mount intercooler and the pump, everything else goes in from the top.

Yes, my car is a wide body with A6 transmission (2011 GS) .... The instructions talk about removing the plastic front brake cooling duct ... I guess this needs to be removed when we remove the right side inner fender liner?

You mentioned removing a "rubber flap" in order to slide the intercooler up into position .... Is that the 3-piece rubber air dam that hangs down real far and always scrapes on speed bumps that your talking about (see photo below)

Old 09-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Garymorris
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

If you're not pinning the crank yourself then the lift won't be a huge help although it's nice to get things up to eye level when doing the hose routing etc underneath. If you do pin the crank you have the choice of dropping the subframe and jacking up the motor as the instructions say or you can move the steering rack instead...I chose to move the rack since I was pulling the front cover off anyway.

No, there's another large rubber piece up inside the "mouth" of the front bumper. It's held on with a couple bolts and push pins and comes out pretty easy.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Gary .... Thanks for the info and fast reply.

I am paying a local shop to install a Dayco 'PowerBond' race performance balancer I purchased from Summit for $223. This will be done before I install the SC myself.

$ . 32 . . ARP Harmonic Balancer Bolt
$ . 18 . . GM Timing Cover Crankshaft Seal
$ 550 . . Labor and Pinning Crank
$ 600 . . Total Cost

The instructions talk about removing the plastic front brake cooling duct ... I guess this needs to be removed when we remove the right side inner fender liner?

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 09-16-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Make sure it isn't an underdrive crank pulley, or it will kill all your power.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

It's a stock sized PowerBond balancer ... P/N: PB1117SS
Old 09-16-2018, 04:16 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
GI GS .... Again I say ... Thanks a bunch !

I now have access to using a rack to put the car up on. Do you think this would be of much help for me or not? ... Seems like except for installing the front mount intercooler and the pump, everything else goes in from the top.

Yes, my car is a wide body with A6 transmission (2011 GS) .... The instructions talk about removing the plastic front brake cooling duct ... I guess this needs to be removed when we remove the right side inner fender liner?

You mentioned removing a "rubber flap" in order to slide the intercooler up into position .... Is that the 3-piece rubber air dam that hangs down real far and always scrapes on speed bumps that your talking about (see photo below)

The lift probably does help a bit, but it’s not necessary. You’re going to need to get under the car to drop the engine cradle down a bit, as recommendended by Magnuson. This is mainly for ease of installation of the blower lid, which slides under the cowl a bit, and it also gives you a little more space to shove your hand behind the blower to get at those two bastard bolts I warned you about, because the firewall is curved inwards a bit and so when you lower the engine down a bit (relative to the body of the car) by lowering the cradle, you get a little more space between the firewall and the blower housing.
With the hood off and the car on jack stands at a height where you can roll under it to get to the cradle bolts, but not too high that you can’t lean over the fenders and reach everything, you’ll be able to do everything yourself, including the steering rack.
You can get at the HX pump/ horn relocation bracket etc. from under the right fender well, which will offer plenty of space, since you’re going to be taking off the front wheels anyhow to get the tie rod ends off (if you do the rack yourself).
the brake cooling duct that Magnuson refers to in their manual is attached to the plastic cowling that’s attached to the fender well liner. All of that stuff comes out pretty easy once you remove all the clips and bolts.
The rubber flap that I referred to earlier is a piece of rubber that seals off the cavity below and in front of the radiator, where the base models breathe through. On the wide body cars, they blocked this off with a piece of rubber that’s fastened by a bunch of small bolts. I think it’s meant to enhance high speed aerodynamics. I never reinstalled mine because as far as I’m concerned, these cars need all the air they can get through the radiator.
Here’s my recommendation: Reread the installation manual and keep asking questions as necessary until you’re familiar with every aspect of the install. Then, when you start the install, keep stopping at every stage and read it again.
intried earlier today to attach some photos, but for some reason I couldn’t. I have no idea why.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:20 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
It's a stock sized PowerBond balancer ... P/N: PB1117SS
Did you order it already? I would’ve gone for the 10% O/D Race version of the Powerbond (I’ll see if I can find a part #). That way, you can run a bigger blower pulley to get the same boost while avoiding the chance of belt slip. Best of both worlds...

Edit: Just saw that you already have it. Here’s the one I would install:
http://www.daycoproducts.com/part?ca...3DPBO81117SC10
Summit doesn’t have them in stock right now, but I recall that Colorado Speed had them for plenty cheaper than anyone else a while back. You might want to check with them and if they have it, send that one back to Summit and get the Dayco Part # PBO81117SC10. With this balancer and the stock Magnuson 96mm pulley, you will be running the same pulley ratio (2.11:1) and, consequently, same blower speed and boost as you would with the stock sized balancer and a 90mm pulley. And you would have 8-rib upgradability right off the bat as well.

Last edited by CI GS; 09-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about 'Heartbeat' installation procedures >

Quick Reply: Questions about 'Heartbeat' installation procedures >