C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Grand Sport Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 02:21 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Grand Sport Question

Hey all I am about to start the tear down on my 2011 grand sport to add a cxracing single turbo kit. My question for the turbo guys is on the turbo return line it looks like I will need a scavenge pump is this correct? And is it best to go back to the oil pan or can I go to the front cover or a valve cover with it? Any specific brand of pump to go with or to stay away from?

I will be doing a build update on this as I go as there isnt much on the single turbo cxracing kit.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:13 PM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett Brooks
Hey all I am about to start the tear down on my 2011 grand sport to add a cxracing single turbo kit. My question for the turbo guys is on the turbo return line it looks like I will need a scavenge pump is this correct? And is it best to go back to the oil pan or can I go to the front cover or a valve cover with it? Any specific brand of pump to go with or to stay away from?

I will be doing a build update on this as I go as there isnt much on the single turbo cxracing kit.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I wish i could answer more of this question but heres what i can answer. We have no way of returning to the valve cover sadly due to the lower amount of clearance on our balancer to the cover. Second something like turbowerx seems to be the normal on alot of builds. There have been a couple of guys on here that have used them or at least parts of the kit and fabricated up the rest just do some searches for single turbo builds and your find a couple.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:42 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk
I wish i could answer more of this question but heres what i can answer. We have no way of returning to the valve cover sadly due to the lower amount of clearance on our balancer to the cover. Second something like turbowerx seems to be the normal on alot of builds. There have been a couple of guys on here that have used them or at least parts of the kit and fabricated up the rest just do some searches for single turbo builds and your find a couple.
Yeah I wasnt sure of clearance issues on the valve covers and front cover. I will look into the turbowerx!

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:00 PM
Garmans12valve
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i recommend reaching out to a guy on youtube "The Boosted One" he just built a single 107mm turbo upfront on his grandsport making north of 1300hp. He's responded to my questions so he would probably help you out. Good luck with the build.
The following users liked this post:
Edbon (01-30-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:27 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Garmans12valve
i recommend reaching out to a guy on youtube "The Boosted One" he just built a single 107mm turbo upfront on his grandsport making north of 1300hp. He's responded to my questions so he would probably help you out. Good luck with the build.
I saw his videos I didnt even think to hit him up! Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

His top end caught on fire the other day. Car made 26lbs at 5800, 1380whp and it blew up the intake manifold and caught fire. They were lucky and looks like just manifold, fuel line, injectors damage. Car may have made 1500whp.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:46 PM
BoostedOne
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm here too and happy to answer any questions when I have free time.
I may lose track of a post so a PM is best.
The following 3 users liked this post by BoostedOne:
jayyyw (02-03-2019), jleews6 (02-01-2019), Shikaitsu (02-09-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 06:51 PM
BoostedOne
Advanced

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
His top end caught on fire the other day. Car made 26lbs at 5800, 1380whp and it blew up the intake manifold and caught fire. They were lucky and looks like just manifold, fuel line, injectors damage. Car may have made 1500whp.
Was just an intake. Went from 10 to 26 Psi in .9 seconds. Was on it's was to all of 30+ pounds 😎. Going to have to calm down the boost controller ramp. 😆 Popped another stock intake on and it was running a day after that video. LME intake will be on it's way as soon as I can swing it $$.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:53 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sub'd!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedOne
Was just an intake. Went from 10 to 26 Psi in .9 seconds. Was on it's was to all of 30+ pounds 😎. Going to have to calm down the boost controller ramp. 😆 Popped another stock intake on and it was running a day after that video. LME intake will be on it's way as soon as I can swing it $$.
That sucks man, I watched a couple of your video's. I was about to say time to upgrade the intake! Do you still have AC?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:50 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Innovate
That sucks man, I watched a couple of your video's. I was about to say time to upgrade the intake! Do you still have AC?

You have the right question still have AC lol. When I get the kit on I'm going to attempt to put the AC back on I heard with some fabbing it can be done with custom lines.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:53 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

I'm here too and happy to answer any questions when I have free time.
I may lose track of a post so a PM is best.
Thanks for the reply! I posted on you're last video about this and you replied I'm going to look into the turbowerx pumps and then possibly pump it back into the oil cap like you suggested or while tearing the motor down right on top in the center there was a line that connects to the manifold and a buddy said we could possibly pipe the return there.

Thanks again if I have more questions I will give you a shout!
Old 02-01-2019, 11:26 AM
BoostedOne
Advanced

Originally Posted by Innovate
Yes I still have AC. Took a bit of work even with the fender exit. No one is keeping it with the full CX kit though as the exhaust occupies the same space as the compressor. I also had to stand the radiator upwards some to squeeze the condenser in.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Yes I still have AC. Took a bit of work even with the fender exit. No one is keeping it with the full CX kit though as the exhaust occupies the same space as the compressor. I also had to stand the radiator upwards some to squeeze the condenser in.
Would it be easier to do AC with hood exit? I would think that would make more room and you can adjust as you go to keep AC?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:25 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a CXRacing kit installed on my base model.

Scavenge pump was necessary due to turbo placement. Running it into the oil pan. Currently have it draining into a catch can and then sucked out from the side by the pump.

On3 cast 88mm made 851hp on 13lbs. Stock bottom end.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:19 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the CX kit mounted the turbo up high in front of the radiator? Surprised to hear you need a scavenge pump going back to the pan with that turbo location.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
I thought the CX kit mounted the turbo up high in front of the radiator? Surprised to hear you need a scavenge pump going back to the pan with that turbo location.
This is what I thought as well.. Hmmm....

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo Grand Sport Question

Old 02-03-2019, 10:38 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, after looking at my setup and the stock photos on CXRacing's site, there may be enough of an angle for a drain off the turbo to the tap in my oil pan. However, the used kit I bought came with the catch can and scavenge pump, so I went ahead and installed it the way it had been setup.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:54 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kunta0908

Honestly, after looking at my setup and the stock photos on CXRacing's site, there may be enough of an angle for a drain off the turbo to the tap in my oil pan. However, the used kit I bought came with the catch can and scavenge pump, so I went ahead and installed it the way it had been setup.
@kunta0908 can you send me pictures of how the catch can is set up and scavenge pump? I would assume it's just going in and then the pump is pumping it out at all times as the car is running??

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett Brooks
Would it be easier to do AC with hood exit? I would think that would make more room and you can adjust as you go to keep AC?
Either way you have to play with the radiator for the condenser. Looking at the kit, I wonder if it works with wet-sump. Heck I could just about sell my 2" ARH's and grab the kit lol.

Quick Reply: Turbo Grand Sport Question