C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping SC car cool

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 04:36 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

I know the shop that has done the work on mine has boxed one...and we've boxed frames on cars here before so I say go for it. Go ahead and cut as you need and get your clearance with a bit extra wiggle room just in case.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:06 PM
1dmurray
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1dmurray
I installed a stock 2005 fan shroud on my 2012 with ECS kit, and this made a big difference. More airflow with full shroud while car is stopped. No more A/C cutoff in stop and go summer traffic. Had to trim the '05 shroud slightly to fit. Also had to relocate oil cooler.
Standard 06-13 shroud v. 2005 version. Pretty obvious why the 06-13 version doesn't perform well at a standstill.

The following 3 users liked this post by 1dmurray:
CI GS (02-11-2019), grocerygetter (02-02-2019), Z06Qazi (02-03-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:13 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Are the plugs/connection the same for the 2005 vs 2006-2013? Or will the fan from 06-13 bolt up to the 05 shroud?

Hard to tell from pic.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
aceinthesky (09-02-2021)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:50 PM
1dmurray
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by da6speed
Are the plugs/connection the same for the 2005 vs 2006-2013? Or will the fan from 06-13 bolt up to the 05 shroud?

Hard to tell from pic.

Thanks!
I am almost certain that the connections are the same. My fan was hardwired with the SC install, so I just used the existing fan with the 05 shroud. No issues, bolts right in. You do have to twist off the fan blades and reinstall, as I recall.
The following users liked this post:
da6speed (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:26 PM
vettemayhem
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyt
I have a Grand Sport with a ECS 1500 setup on it and was consistently seeing 235+ in traffic here in AZ heat. I had a full size dewitts and prospeed fan setup put in and it dropped temps to 215-217 in the summer now. Here in the winter once it warms up (which it takes a while now) it never gets above 207. I'd do them both at the same time if you're paying a shop so you don't have to pay the labor twice.
I tried installing a D3 dual spal fan setup from ProSpeed in my 2006 base Z51 car which has a Dart 427 block and YSI billet and there was no room for the fan shroud because of the supercharger. I talked to Josh about it and he said I was the only one that had this problem. I asked my Speed Shop to try to fabricate to make it fit but they told me it was not possible. Josh would not take it back without a 40% restocking fee....not real happy about that since I am sure that I am not the only thick-headed person who has been led to believe that they fit like a glove with no mods. How did you get yours to fit?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by vettemayhem
I tried installing a D3 dual spal fan setup from ProSpeed in my 2006 base Z51 car which has a Dart 427 block and YSI billet and there was no room for the fan shroud because of the supercharger. I talked to Josh about it and he said I was the only one that had this problem. I asked my Speed Shop to try to fabricate to make it fit but they told me it was not possible. Josh would not take it back without a 40% restocking fee....not real happy about that since I am sure that I am not the only thick-headed person who has been led to believe that they fit like a glove with no mods. How did you get yours to fit?
Mine don't fit either. Biggest issue is that the fans are so thick with the bigger motors and the supercharger outlet goes right into the passenger fan so I'm working to pull things forward some and possibly clearance the back of the fan on the passenger side some to make it work. It will certainly work but not easily. Probably worth the trouble for the added flow.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:56 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

If either of you guys have the D3 fans made for the Dewitts shortened radiator, I'll take it off your hands.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:57 PM
vettemayhem
Instructor

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
Mine don't fit either. Biggest issue is that the fans are so thick with the bigger motors and the supercharger outlet goes right into the passenger fan so I'm working to pull things forward some and possibly clearance the back of the fan on the passenger side some to make it work. It will certainly work but not easily. Probably worth the trouble for the added flow.
Ok, great! Would you be will to share with this group the process with pics?
Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Ok, great! Would you be will to share with this group the process with pics?
Absolutely... I'll be up there again this weekend if all goes well. Right now I've got the Procharger radiator bracket, Griffin cutdown radiator (A&A's customer spec version they sell with their supercharger kits), the cutdown prospeed fan setup from D3, Procharger race core intercooler and my factory A/C condenser... Right now The radiator fits in there with the intercooler but the fans are too far back so they are right in the outlet path of my F1X, so I'm working to either lay it back less or might have to look into scooting the procharger radiator support bracket forward some more.

Originally Posted by slow goat
If either of you guys have the D3 fans made for the Dewitts shortened radiator, I'll take it off your hands.
I do but I intend to make them work because I already have them and they are an improvement over my stock 06-13 fan setup... I'll keep you posted if I change my mind.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:43 AM
vettemayhem
Instructor

Absolutely... I'll be up there again this weekend if all goes well. Right now I've got the Procharger radiator bracket, Griffin cutdown radiator (A&A's customer spec version they sell with their supercharger kits), the cutdown prospeed fan setup from D3, Procharger race core intercooler and my factory A/C condenser... Right now The radiator fits in there with the intercooler but the fans are too far back so they are right in the outlet path of my F1X, so I'm working to either lay it back less or might have to look into scooting the procharger radiator support bracket forward some more.

I do but I intend to make them work because I already have them and they are an improvement over my stock 06-13 fan setup... I'll keep you posted if I change my mind.
So do you think the D3 fan set up is superior to the Griffin aluminum fan/shroud set up for C6?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:55 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

So do you think the D3 fan set up is superior to the Griffin aluminum fan/shroud set up for C6?
I'm not familiar with their setup so I'm not sure. I'll look into it.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:45 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Not sure what’s yalls set up look like or how much thicker or taller the factory system is, or if a base and GS have less room than a ZO6 but my Prospeed fan fit easily on the dewits short cut, the full size it would have been the same just would have had to modify for the intake and filter. I’ve also never heard of another vette guy not getting the Prospeed to fit, tons of room and I’ve got the EOC and ac condenser all in the same locations so this seems kinda odd, what intercooler set up? Maybe that’s eating up all the space? I mean the shop that originally put the fan in turned out to be complete and absolute morons....and those idiots got it to fit with ease. I found out down the road just how incompetent these guys were so I’m very surprised two of you are having the same issues....leads me to believe there is some sort of major difference with the space you guys have compared to my set up.

I will say this....if you either of you can’t get the fan to fit I’m fairly certain if you put it up on here they’ll sell within an hour or two probably close to or right at what you paid.

Last edited by 73DBG; 02-06-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 PM
donnyt
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I had Cordes Performance Racing do the install of it all. They did an awesome job and there's plenty of room in there.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 AM
RPOWU8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

With most of the supercharged cars they have you remove the shroud that brings cold air to the condenser/radiator to make room for the intercooler. Once that shroud is removed, hot air can be pulled back around to the front side of the radiator. I spent quite a bit of time and boxed in the shrouding so air could no longer be recycled from the engine side of the radiator. I found this to be the most effective solution to date for cooling issues. I had the full size Dewitts Rad, dual spal extreme fans, dual PWM controllers etc. Sealing off the front of the radiator to the front of the car made the biggest difference.

BTW the best fan IHMO is the stock fan with 2005 shroud if you can make it fit with Centri's. Otherwise the D3PE is the best fan option.

DJ

Last edited by RPOWU8; 02-11-2019 at 04:08 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-11-2019, 04:06 AM
RPOWU8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I really want to but also know that there is structural integrity involved up there. I'm thinking about cutting it, folding the aluminum and then rewelding it. There's also the very real possibility that I'll need to go to A2W anyway and I'd hate to hack it all up if that could prevent it. I've been looking into folks who have done so much as to cut off the front bumper support and welded on a tubular support and cut the foam to fit accordingly. I'm still looking for good options... but to stay on topic, the prospeed fans are a definite need to help pull good air in and I've also swapped the fog lights out for ducts (meant for brake cooling) that will route directly to the radiator to help some also.
Hi,

Just a few pics of my AW set up for my A&A. Way more air flow to radiator. Kind of tough to get a good picture that shows just how much better the air flow should be.

Still a work in progress, waiting for interchiller which should mount above intercooler . Intercooler core size 12' X 9.5" X 4.5" Using Z06 oil tank for water tank.

Core Size 12 X 9.5 X 4.5 Inlet 3" Outlet 4"

Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

To be more clear when I say keeping the shroud is key, I'm referring to the shroud in front of the radiator. Obviously it has to be modified but still does the job afterwards.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

I live in south Mississippi and am running the stock 05 z51 cooling setup with A&A ti-trim (700ish hp), I dont see temps over 190° in stop and go traffic with ac on high.....and 220° beating the hell out of it in 95°+ temps.

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 02-11-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping SC car cool

Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
I live in south Mississippi and am running the stock 05 z51 cooling setup with A&A ti-trim (700ish hp), I dont see temps over 190° in stop and go traffic with ac on high.....and 220° beating the hell out of it in 95°+ temps.
I’m in southern Mississippi as well.....what part are you in? PM if you don’t want the specific location on the thread. Always looking for other boosted vettes locally to meet up with!!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:43 PM
harleyreb1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I’m in Jackson MS and about to add boost, does that count lol.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:52 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by RPOWU8
Hi,

Just a few pics of my AW set up for my A&A. Way more air flow to radiator. Kind of tough to get a good picture that shows just how much better the air flow should be.

Still a work in progress, waiting for interchiller which should mount above intercooler . Intercooler core size 12' X 9.5" X 4.5" Using Z06 oil tank for water tank.

Core Size 12 X 9.5 X 4.5 Inlet 3" Outlet 4"

Looks really nice... What HP is this rated to? Looks smaller than some of the setup's I've seen. When you say interchiller, I assume you mean switched utilization of your A/C system to chill the water in the A2W system, similar to what they are doing with the new LT4 setups? Is this a unit that's made for our cars or did you have it customer speced/made?

Quick Reply: Keeping SC car cool