C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need opinions on a turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Orignal_Ginger
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need opinions on a turbo kit

I'm in the market for a turbo kit(single or twin). I've been looking at the on3 kit and it's very tempting because of the price. I've have been following a couple on3 builds on here and want to get some opinions on the kit as well as any other turbo kit I should look into.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:31 PM
Orignal_Ginger
7th Gear

My car is 100% stock currently but plan on building it
Old 03-02-2019, 07:50 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Base model? Not sure if On3 still builds them and for a single kit CX Racing. $2500 except you lose your A/C unless you do fender exit exhaust.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:21 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think its important to figure out what your budget is before making a decision. Just know that if you decide to go with a turbo kit youll more than likely spend quite a bit more than just slapping on a blower and calling it a day. Its also quite a bit more involved in most cases. Turbos are great, just speaking from experience, though, make sure you have some extra to spend if you decide to go this route.

As far as I know your options are fairly limited when it comes to turbo kits. On3, APS, TTiX, CX Racing, STS, UPP and maybe a couple others I'm not familiar with. Unluckily for me, I've had experience with most of the ones I listed. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with UPP. I have no experience with the kit personally but I see CK on here all the time. He responds to stuff, hes involved and he warranties his stuff like nobody else. hes easy to get in touch with. Ive run the gamut on builds and the biggest problem I've run across is shitty customer service. It sucks when you cant get a hold of someone when you pay thousands of dollars for stuff. If theres one thing ive learned from all my builds its that you WILL run into a problem.

Ive had a Procharger D1, STS and currently run an On3 kit on my car. By far the easiest was the Procharger. Of the STS and On3, I'd take the On3 kit any day of the week.

Just my .02
The following users liked this post:
CK@UPPCOS (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 07:06 PM
HouseS2k
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

From all the reading I do on here, only way I would turbo a vet is the Cletus way of doing it. That being said, the vehicle wouldn’t be a DD and barely a weekend street warrior. It would be a drag car like he did. I’ve had all kinds of turbo cars. But in the corvette platform I choose centri for ease of installation and the backing of the dealers who sell them here.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Orignal_Ginger
7th Gear

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
I think its important to figure out what your budget is before making a decision. Just know that if you decide to go with a turbo kit youll more than likely spend quite a bit more than just slapping on a blower and calling it a day. Its also quite a bit more involved in most cases. Turbos are great, just speaking from experience, though, make sure you have some extra to spend if you decide to go this route.

As far as I know your options are fairly limited when it comes to turbo kits. On3, APS, TTiX, CX Racing, STS, UPP and maybe a couple others I'm not familiar with. Unluckily for me, I've had experience with most of the ones I listed. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with UPP. I have no experience with the kit personally but I see CK on here all the time. He responds to stuff, hes involved and he warranties his stuff like nobody else. hes easy to get in touch with. Ive run the gamut on builds and the biggest problem I've run across is shitty customer service. It sucks when you cant get a hold of someone when you pay thousands of dollars for stuff. If theres one thing ive learned from all my builds its that you WILL run into a problem.

Ive had a Procharger D1, STS and currently run an On3 kit on my car. By far the easiest was the Procharger. Of the STS and On3, I'd take the On3 kit any day of the week.

Just my .02
I was thinking I would decide what kit I would want first then make my budget first. I've given up on the on3 kit as they don't have a good rep around us vette guys(I have a coyote before the vette). and i would prefer top keep a/c for now until I make it a dedicated track car. If all the other kits around for more then the cx racing kit I would just bite the bullet.

Originally Posted by HouseS2k
From all the reading I do on here, only way I would turbo a vet is the Cletus way of doing it. That being said, the vehicle wouldn’t be a DD and barely a weekend street warrior. It would be a drag car like he did. I’ve had all kinds of turbo cars. But in the corvette platform I choose centri for ease of installation and the backing of the dealers who sell them here.
I have thought about doing that also but use the cx raacing manifolds so I don't have to route the driver side pipe like he did
Old 03-04-2019, 12:08 AM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

There is a handful of turbo builds going on right now that are updated a couple times a week. May be worth checking them out.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:05 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yup a few good threads going on, also keep in mind the start date of the thread. Mines probably a year old and I think iv put maybe 300 miles on my car since then. Budget is huge if you want to go turbo IMO, a procharger (or similar) is the only true bolt on kit that is 100% complete. I have at least 3k on top of my 3,500 turbo kit, not to mention the 2k in tuning and injectors and now the 2k in a new fuel system.
Money is one thing but you have no idea how mentally frustrating working on these cars are. It basically ruined all the fun for me.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rbo-build.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...us-c6-z06.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

Here is a list of a couple in progress.

As G23 said budget can get complicated. If you can do 50% ish of the work aka the install minus maybe some welding id budget around 10,000 for a decent turbo setup said and done from stock.Then maybe the price of a tune after that. The more complicated aka keeping AC, full exhaust, boost control setups ect will all tack on and on.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:38 AM
HouseS2k
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by g23crawler
Yup a few good threads going on, also keep in mind the start date of the thread. Mines probably a year old and I think iv put maybe 300 miles on my car since then. Budget is huge if you want to go turbo IMO, a procharger (or similar) is the only true bolt on kit that is 100% complete. I have at least 3k on top of my 3,500 turbo kit, not to mention the 2k in tuning and injectors and now the 2k in a new fuel system.
Money is one thing but you have no idea how mentally frustrating working on these cars are. It basically ruined all the fun for me.
i found a picture of G23 before and after lmfaooo
Old 03-04-2019, 10:53 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Lmaoooo
Its sad but true
Old 03-04-2019, 04:55 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with UPP. I have no experience with the kit personally but I see CK on here all the time. He responds to stuff, hes involved and he warranties his stuff like nobody else. hes easy to get in touch with. Ive run the gamut on builds and the biggest problem I've run across is shitty customer service. It sucks when you cant get a hold of someone when you pay thousands of dollars for stuff
Awe shucks....I'm blushing....

Similar to what G23 stated, if you piece together a kit it generally ends up being more expensive. Especially considering all the pieces you end up buying twice since part A doesn't fit with part B. UPP kits are complete (even the injectors) and direct bolt on. We could advertise them as "$1899.99 'kit"' and sell the hotside, but that's hardly a "kit". We wanted to offer something complete with everything you need to bolt on and go. Yes, they are considerably more work and difficulty that a Procharger, but they're also an entirely different animal with great upside and potential.

Just let me know, and we can get you a system going!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Late bump but I'm running a UPP kit and while I don't have my final tune yet I've put over 2,000 miles on the car since the twin turbo install and I'm in love with the car all over again. The car is currently substituting as my daily while my actually daily is waiting on a few repairs and the car feels stock during normal driving and wild under boost. CK has also been extremely helpful throughout. I have a full write up thread from start to finish if you're curious about the install.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1-2005-m6.html
CK@UPPCOS (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...us-c6-z06.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

Here is a list of a couple in progress.

As G23 said budget can get complicated. If you can do 50% ish of the work aka the install minus maybe some welding id budget around 10,000 for a decent turbo setup said and done from stock.Then maybe the price of a tune after that. The more complicated aka keeping AC, full exhaust, boost control setups ect will all tack on and on.
I would think it is not that expensive?

CX Racing kit $2,500.
Injectors $500- purchased FIC850's used
Fuel system $1,100
Tune $150 from my tuner for a revision.
Fender Exit $few hundred possibly
Boost Controller $500-$600 for a Turbosmart
$4,200ish looks to be possible. Granted I have no idea what else is needed.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:28 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Its definitely possible to do it on the cheap, just alot of variables that come about in a build like this.
Heres a quick break down of mine
Turbo kit - 3500
cermic coating - 500
injectors - 950
tune - 800
fuel system - 1500
Roughly 7300
Now that's just the basics, here's some things that popped up I didn't expect
New fuel rails because of return system -300
About 50 different an fittings for fuel/vacuum lines/oil return - 200 to 300
I put a scavenge system on mine so pump lines fittings etc.. 300 ish
Smart to do head studs and gaskets when doing a build like this - 300
If you already have the heads off might as well do a cam - 800 for a kit
So theres about 2k in stuff and then if your like me and didnt even think about how to hook up a car you just doubled the power on you have at least another 1k in a drag pack so add that all together and theres around 10k so a decent build..

Im not trying to discourage you, im a broke 23 year old and all about saving money anywhere I can. You can definitely do it cheaper but everything with a corvette is expensive it seems like. Also the non-existent customer support with my kit left me with no choice but to make alot of stuff myself like brackets, charge tube, exhaust pipes...
Old 03-08-2019, 05:37 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just go with the UPP kit, I wish I did!!!
im over £15k into mine and it’s no where what it should be for that money. I got truely screwed over with a crap single kit and constantly working to make it better.
Go with a tried a tested kit, go UPP
CK@UPPCOS (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Originally Posted by Innovate
I would think it is not that expensive?

CX Racing kit $2,500.
Injectors $500- purchased FIC850's used
Fuel system $1,100
Tune $150 from my tuner for a revision.
Fender Exit $few hundred possibly
Boost Controller $500-$600 for a Turbosmart
$4,200ish looks to be possible. Granted I have no idea what else is needed.
Your off about a grand + shipping and tax on the cx racing turbo kit but either way there are so many odds and ends your need with any turbo kit pretty much. Especially a low end one like that and I would also personally buy the kit without the turbo and replace it with a s400 base or even the low end pte 7675 if borg isnt your thing.

You also must factor in a catch can and stuff which is another couple hundred.
Im shocked a tune is $150 ...The guy who does my base shake down tuning charges a couple hundred and my real tune that i travel several hours to a different state and is closer to 800-1000.

The biggest thing is unless you have done it before or recently its easy to forget how many little things you need and how they add up in price so quickly. I have several thousand into my 100% homemade budget turbo setup and its not even done yet. This is with fabricating our own manifold charge piping ect.

Get notified of new replies

To need opinions on a turbo kit

Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Sorry I was talking about my turbo kit and not a cx one, and yeah I forgot about the catch can I had to buy. There's another 200 lol
Old 03-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk
Your off about a grand + shipping and tax on the cx racing turbo kit but either way there are so many odds and ends your need with any turbo kit pretty much. Especially a low end one like that and I would also personally buy the kit without the turbo and replace it with a s400 base or even the low end pte 7675 if borg isnt your thing.

You also must factor in a catch can and stuff which is another couple hundred.
Im shocked a tune is $150 ...The guy who does my base shake down tuning charges a couple hundred and my real tune that i travel several hours to a different state and is closer to 800-1000.

The biggest thing is unless you have done it before or recently its easy to forget how many little things you need and how they add up in price so quickly. I have several thousand into my 100% homemade budget turbo setup and its not even done yet. This is with fabricating our own manifold charge piping ect.
Tune revisions are $150 but I am NA, possibly more for boost. I am actually looking at a couple of Bullseye turbos so money is blown there regardless (their 104mm because I will be going built Dart LSnext in the future).

I looked the other day and CX racing is $2500 I thought. I am sure there are a ton of small things that add up.

I also am not counting current injectors and current CC.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:29 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

I keep thinking of more things, you'll want gauges. A nice wide band and decent boost gauge, I have boost, afr, and fuel pressure. Between all those and a nice gauge pod its probably 500-600. Just dumb stuff like that when you build a car for the first time.

Quick Reply: need opinions on a turbo kit