C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C6 E-Force - external fuel pump woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 08:33 AM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CHR89
Mine ended up being just a bad alternator, I replaced it with a higher amp unit without the clutch on it (make sure to red loctite the nut if you do this). It could be your Alternator as it gets warm or your starter as it gets a little cooked by your headers. If your battery is up front you can always run a power wire from the battery directly to the lug on the alternator to rule out your starter being faulty.

My alternator died pretty quickly after running both pumps + my EMP pump for the coolant tank full time.
First thing I am going to do - is pull the alternator and get it checked out. I've already PM'd Brett at Billet Tech on an alternator setup.

Originally Posted by russ472
maybe I am wrong, but looking at your picture, it looks like the inlet line to the pump is on top of the pump.
You are correct - the Inlet of the pump is at the top of the pump.

Originally Posted by CI GS
Yep, that’s the same thing I was thinking. It’s possible that the way it’s set up, it’s losing prime on the hit and the pump is cavitating. The first thing I would do is flip the pump over and try to keep the inlet on the pump as close to the bottom of the tank as possible.
You know that is totally possible - after Googling multiple ECS setup install pictures - looks like the inlet of the pump always installed on the bottom.

Good thing I'm getting pretty good at cutting up PTFE hose - and installing these fittings.

If the alternator is indeed bad - I'll order the replacement olives, more hose, and get this thing flipped over - while I'm waiting for the alternator to get here.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 AM
_Wayne_
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with the placement of the pump being off. I would get it as low as possible, Ideally where it can be gravity fed up to the pump. I had a similar issue with my external pump setup. I thought it was power related, but it ended up my internal pump was just failing. replaced it with a 450l and all is good.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:17 AM
CHR89
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by _Wayne_
I agree with the placement of the pump being off. I would get it as low as possible, Ideally where it can be gravity fed up to the pump. I had a similar issue with my external pump setup. I thought it was power related, but it ended up my internal pump was just failing. replaced it with a 450l and all is good.
Agreed, thats why I wanted to see what it did if he ran the pump full time where it wouldn’t need to suck fuel up hill on the hit.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:40 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Hello everyone - its been a little while but I finally had time to work on the Vette.

1st update - I removed the alternator and had it tested 3x - it passed all their tests under load and was told it is still good.

2nd update - I did a test launch - fuel pressure dropped. I stopped and tripped the secondary pump (DW Fuel Pump) to run full time.

I did another test launch - and the fuel pressure was at 70 psi and dropped to 50-55 psi - so again - with both pumps running it dropped ~20 psi.

I do not know the exact fuel pressure it dropped down because the test road I was on is abandoned and it got super sketchy - lol.

3rd Update - my PFTE olives should be in later this week - and I am going top disassemble the external pump - flip it - and put it back together.

I will do another round of tests - 1) Hobbs switch plugged in and 2) the fuel pump tripped to run full time - and I will report back the results.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:41 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Oh also want to note - DIC was indicating around 13 volts at idle with one pump running - and around 11 with both pumps running.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:44 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Looking at your photo again, I think there’s three things that you need to change that will solve your problem, because I’m pretty sure that what you are experiencing is the pump losing prime and cavitating. Firstly, I would replace that tiny filter on the inlet side with a larger high flow filter, because I’m pretty sure that is causing a restriction. These kind of pumps don’t pull very well, so they need free flow and no restriction on the inlet side. Then I would rotate the elbow so that it’s horizontal rather than pointing upwards, which may require you to replace it with a 120 or 150 degree like the ECS kit uses, so that it hugs the corner of the tank for clearance. Finally, as I had said before, flip the pump over so that the inlet is on the bottom.
I’ll bet you a six pack of beer that’ll solve your problem.

Quick Reply: 2005 C6 E-Force - external fuel pump woes