C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting open the front bumper ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Just came across this thread. Don’t know how I missed it.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...installer.html
Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Ship your car to Georgia for it? Problem with Tikt stuff is in house install only.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:45 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
Ship your car to Georgia for it? Problem with Tikt stuff is in house install only.
True. But to tell you the truth, looking at what they do, I don’t know if I would ever want to take on that kind of cosmetic surgery myself. And I don’t even wanna guess the grief and money it would cost me to ship my car back to the States. At that rate, I might as well buy a new car and ship it to VR. Mind you, that thread (and the new ZR1) made me realize that the looks of the C7 can be improved. Maybe I should buy a C7 Z06 and get VR to build the **** out of it?? But then I would need a new garage, home, wife...lol!
Old 07-12-2019, 12:48 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

But, I gotta say, THIS is dead sexy:
Old 07-12-2019, 01:04 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
I agree that laying the radiator forward and venting the hot air through the hood like the C7 does would be the best way to get the additional airflow for the cooling that an FI car needs. I the think the proper way to do that would be to remove the front boxed steel bumper and the foam nose support and build a tubular bumper/nose support with the necessary bracketry for the rad, intercooler etc. hanging on that, such that the radiator leans forward, enabling airflow through it from both the nose opening and the underside of the nose put through the hood. There’s a lot of room up front once you remove that big *** boxed bumper and the foam. Additional airflow through the nose would be a bonus (but might not even be necessary) as long as it can be vented through the hood (or fenders) to reduce front end lift at high speeds. But all of that is more than I’m willing to take on, lol.
Also with the rad leant forward you could get even more creative! How about V mounting an intercooler that’s laid flat? Procharger did it with the C7 kit! Or maybe an aux rad like the C7 Z06 uses? Lots of option with a setup like that!

There is also rear mounting a second rad. Some race cars do it. Just have to think about the exhaust routing. Could mount it’s in front of the rear licence plate and fees from the rear wheel arches. Also seen people put trans coolers behind the rear wheels.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:45 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

If been fighting high coolant temps since I finished my turbo setup. So far, I’ve done: wired fans direct to power with relays, wrapped my exhaust, wrapped closest coolant pipe to the exhaust, added track spec hood vents, and cut a good amount of my crash beam. I made up some shrouding out of cardboard and duct tape and also added the flap under the radiator like the stock setup to try and create a low pressure area behind the radiator. The shrouding and the flap showed the biggest improvement in my coolant temp while cruising. Just today I transferred the cardboard shroud pieces I made onto sheet metal. I went from 217-223 temps in 85 degree weather, to 187-194 temps at 70mph. Haven’t been able to test the car by doing pulls yet but I’m hoping to see a significant difference there as well.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Creamo3
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
If been fighting high coolant temps since I finished my turbo setup. So far, I’ve done: wired fans direct to power with relays, wrapped my exhaust, wrapped closest coolant pipe to the exhaust, added track spec hood vents, and cut a good amount of my crash beam. I made up some shrouding out of cardboard and duct tape and also added the flap under the radiator like the stock setup to try and create a low pressure area behind the radiator. The shrouding and the flap showed the biggest improvement in my coolant temp while cruising. Just today I transferred the cardboard shroud pieces I made onto sheet metal. I went from 217-223 temps in 85 degree weather, to 187-194 temps at 70mph. Haven’t been able to test the car by doing pulls yet but I’m hoping to see a significant difference there as well.
Are you running straight water and wetter? No a/c as well right? What about thermal coating of parts that are wrapped?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:45 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Are you running straight water and wetter? No a/c as well right? What about thermal coating of parts that are wrapped?
I was running a mix of coolant/water, about 30/70. I flushed it out twice and filled with only water. The mix is probably 5-10/90-95 right now. No, I don't run a/c anymore. Hot parts are only wrapped at the moment.

Drove the car to work this morning. Same drive, before, would reach 199 by the time I got to the gate. I was chilling at 187, at the gate.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:21 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Very nice. Do you happen to have a pic or two of your shroud? Looking to lower temps myself and that sounds like a fix I’d like to try.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:51 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NYC6
Very nice. Do you happen to have a pic or two of your shroud? Looking to lower temps myself and that sounds like a fix I’d like to try.
I do, but hard to really see what's going on. My setup will also differ from most, if not all, in this thread.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:51 PM
Creamo3
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

I've always run straight distilled and a bottle of water wetter and temps seem to always be in a good range. I know our setups are different, but yesterday it was 96* here and with an iron block saw water temps around 201 in stop and go traffic and I wasn't even running the shroud that goes above the radiator. I also don't have a/c which helps a lot with flow thru the radiator. Glad to see your temps seem to be in a good range now. Do you have separate coolers for trans and oil? I removed trans lines which were integrated into my radiator and just looped them, they were so close to the header pipes that I think any cooling was mitigated by that.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:07 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Creamo3
I've always run straight distilled and a bottle of water wetter and temps seem to always be in a good range. I know our setups are different, but yesterday it was 96* here and with an iron block saw water temps around 201 in stop and go traffic and I wasn't even running the shroud that goes above the radiator. I also don't have a/c which helps a lot with flow thru the radiator. Glad to see your temps seem to be in a good range now. Do you have separate coolers for trans and oil? I removed trans lines which were integrated into my radiator and just looped them, they were so close to the header pipes that I think any cooling was mitigated by that.
I did the same with the trans lines and I added an aftermarket oil cooler behind the driver side fog light cutout in the bumper.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:47 PM
C7 Carbon
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 193 Posts

Hey guys, we were linked over to this thread from our Local Corvette club. We have been looking into some options to make a front bumper for the C6 that would increase the airflow and have side openings to run additional coolers.

We just have a couple questions.
- Would most of you guys be open to cutting the crash to be able to get more airflow in?
- Would you guys want side inlet options to allow for running more coolers etc..

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-02-2019, 07:03 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C7 Carbon
- Would most of you guys be open to cutting the crash to be able to get more airflow in?
- Would you guys want side inlet options to allow for running more coolers etc..
Already have.
Yes.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:21 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Open it up as much as possible
like the tikt front end and I’m a buyer..
Old 09-02-2019, 09:09 PM
jetbluu
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by c5wolf
Open it up as much as possible
like the tikt front end and I’m a buyer..
Looks like they're considering just that.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-join-in.html
Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 PM
Bluewheelz
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 Carbon
Hey guys, we were linked over to this thread from our Local Corvette club. We have been looking into some options to make a front bumper for the C6 that would increase the airflow and have side openings to run additional coolers.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Absolutely willing to cut into the crash bar. I already have as it's the only way to get air through the front of a C6 with an intercooler. Also, yes would want side inlets for additional coolers. Would love to see something that has the shape of the C7 ZR1 inlets like the Tikt kit.

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting open the front bumper ?

Old 12-08-2022, 02:51 PM
C7 Carbon

PMs replied
Old 12-09-2022, 11:16 AM
Bluewheelz
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 117 Posts

Are you guys looking at doing a full bumper cover? I have seen the cooling ducts and canards.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:49 PM
C7 Carbon

Originally Posted by Bluewheelz
Are you guys looking at doing a full bumper cover? I have seen the cooling ducts and canards.
At the moment, we are just offering the ducts and the canards.. Maybe next year we can explore some more track parts for the c6.

Quick Reply: Cutting open the front bumper ?