C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston replacement advice on a Callaway GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 03:41 AM
JBringit
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston replacement advice on a Callaway GS

New to the forum and need some advice on replacing my pistons in my 2011 Callaway Grand Sport.
I recently had some issues and upon scoping the engine, confirmed I have burnt up my pistons (at least 6 and 8 confirmed) it was definitely running lean judging by the plugs, not sure if my boost-a-pump failed, looking into that. I am obviously going to need new pistons. My question is what setup should I go with? I'm not a HP numbers on paper chaser, I love the way it runs as it sits, but wouldn't mind a bit more power (max 800 HP) I am going to upgrade the cam, trunions, head gaskets and head bolts while its out. Should I go with forged pistons and rods, just replace the pistons, go for a little lower compression, ect. and what brand is the discussion I would like to have and get some opinions on.
Thank you for your help!

Number 8 cylinder
Old 07-28-2023, 11:16 AM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Forged for sure with stock compression. Build it once, build it right.
The following users liked this post:
JBringit (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 02:17 PM
JBringit
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
Forged for sure with stock compression. Build it once, build it right.
I figured that would be the answer with forged vs non forged question.
Any recommendations as far as brand for the piston/rod combo?
Also, I see a lot of people upgrading to the LS9 head gasket, whats the benefit there?
Old 07-28-2023, 09:44 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Diamond, Wiseco, CP all good choices. LS9 were designed for boost. Make sure you use head studs too.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:41 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,315 Likes on 887 Posts

If you are taking apart the engine and have the budget, yes go forged.

Is your car a manual trans or auto? Reason, I ask is that manual trans GS coupes with the dry sump engine have a factory forged crank.

As for the LS9 head gasket, the benefit is lowering compression which can help lower combustion temps and cylinder pressures since the car is supercharged. Can make up for any losses with a little more timing.

And I also recommend the ARP head studs. Gives much more consistent clamping force.

I am running both the LS9 gaskets and ARP studs in my E-force Grand Sport. I am also running the LS9 cam.

I would look at the PD cams that Cam Motion offers as their cams are excellent.

Also, not a bad idea to ditch the BAP and upgrade to a Z06 pump. I was running a BAP for a while and had no problems but was never 100% comfortable with it. I put in a Z06 pump and got rid of the BAP.

Also, an very nice upgrade to the fuel system is to upgrade the wiring. Racetronix makes a fuel pump re-wire kit that prevents any voltage drop in the fuel pump. And it is not expensive.
JBringit (07-30-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 09:56 AM
m60gov20
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts

Whats' your current set up?
JBringit (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 02:35 AM
CallawaySC560
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Did you happen to get a baseline dyno from the Callaway tuned car prior to the damage? When I added headers and went with a smaller pulley on my Callaway recently, the tuner said timing was far too advanced with the Callaway tune at the top end = and was detonating.
JBringit (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 02:29 PM
JBringit
3rd Gear

Thank you for the information, I do not have the original dyno information from Callaway. It is a manual car, so luckily, I do have the forged crank. I will definitely look into the Z06 fuel pump, I don't feel 100% with running the BAP either, so thank you for that info. As for the LS9 head gasket and ARP studs, that will be for sure an addition to the shopping cart. I currently have Kooks long tube headers catless X-pipe and I'm still running the Callaway mufflers do to not wanting to get away from the Callaway look. I will most likely go ahead and upgrade to a smaller pulley while I'm at it, but like I said, I dont want to go too far as most of this cars use would be considered "spirited" driving on the streets with little track use. I want to keep it very usable on the street.
With what you said about the tuning, I'm guessing after the headers were installed, not tuning it was probably the cause of my current issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Piston replacement advice on a Callaway GS

Quick Reply: Piston replacement advice on a Callaway GS