C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

predator-to-pc question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:08 PM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default predator-to-pc question

hey guys...im not much of a computer guy so i need some help. i just got a new computer and it doesnt have the same plug (i think its called serial) for the predator. does anybody know if i can get some other kind of cable to hook up with the predator or if there is any way to add that kind of plug to my computer? its a dell xps m140 laptop. thanks...im ignorant when it comes to this stuff!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:31 PM
jz's blue c6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming you have a USB port on the laptop. This being the case, you can get a USB to Serial adapter. As an example, the following link should take you to the radisoshack site with the part info. If it does not, do a search on "USB to serial adapter". That's what you need.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Jz
Old 02-11-2006, 01:27 PM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have one of those cables but couldnt get it to work...its like it doesnt see the predator or something. how do i let the computer know where to look for the connection?
Old 02-11-2006, 01:55 PM
jz's blue c6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asisde from the adapter, I think you would need to have software with it that configures the port for you. I'm sure it could be done manually but having never used the adapter I have no experience. Would rather you had the software and got it done right as oppossed to me guessing my way through it.

Jz
Old 02-11-2006, 05:12 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastskyline
hey guys...im not much of a computer guy so i need some help. i just got a new computer and it doesnt have the same plug (i think its called serial) for the predator. does anybody know if i can get some other kind of cable to hook up with the predator or if there is any way to add that kind of plug to my computer? its a dell xps m140 laptop. thanks...im ignorant when it comes to this stuff!

Unfortunately, this is not a topic that lends it self to forum responses because USB to to serial to COM can be a real ball buster even for a tech monkey. DELL has done no favors by cheaping out with deleting a serial connector. That RANT said, use the link provided by jz's blue c6 and get a good cable; the Radio Shack cables are NASA quality and they are tested before they leave the factory unlike most cables. Our Network Monkeys normally have a 10% cable failure rate when they go cheap on new cables. Most USB based cables/devices come with some sort of software that must be installed before you plug the cable in to the computer-if it required software and you plugged before installing the software you are on your own. This may or may not be case with an adapter cable. Diablo Sport has a good set of instructions for getting the COM to work-if your Dell has a card modem, COM1 may be tied up for that device

http://www.diablosporttuning.com/gm_custom_ls2.htm

If all else fails, bail out, grab your all your stuff & all instructions and head to CompUSA or similar Geekworld and pay the nice tech monkey to sort it out-your computer and your car's ECM are too expensive(and you can really mess both of them up before you know it) so if all this ain't working for you, it's time to outsource! I'm a software weenie and a fair tech, but I have no problem in bribing a Tech Monkey with a coke and a Twinkie to fix my machine

Get notified of new replies

To predator-to-pc question

Quick Reply: predator-to-pc question