C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner with Auto trans C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 PM
wcrmltd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP Tuner with Auto trans C6

What kind of HP and TQ changes has anyone seen on just the HP tuner work. I have a 2008 C6 with automatic.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:53 AM
craftfox
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wcrmltd
What kind of HP and TQ changes has anyone seen on just the HP tuner work. I have a 2008 C6 with automatic.
Be carefull letting people talk you into tuning it, lots of tuned a6s explode, where as stock ones with just MILD changes, live under alot of power for a long time.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by craftfox
Be carefull letting people talk you into tuning it, lots of tuned a6s explode, where as stock ones with just MILD changes, live under alot of power for a long time.
Most of the A6s that fall apart are a result of the tuner not keeping the numbers "true" which results in bad torque calculations and broken parts.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:51 PM
wcrmltd
Intermediate

DSteck, can you explain what "true" means? I am very familiar with Mitsubishi Evo's and Dodge SRT-8 (Magnum) tuning, but I do not catch what you mean by keeping the numbers "true" on the Vette.

My 06 2500HD Duramax/Allison had communications from the ECU to the TCU so that the engine would defuel between shifts in order to keep the tranny alive, and my MSRT-8 has a TQ controlling algorythm that some tuners turn off or defeat. Is there something similar on the A6's in the Corvette hat needs to be left alone?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 PM
0ian@thetuningschool
Former Vendor

The A6 in the vettes does have TM during the shifts, were it pulls timing during the shifts. You can remove if you like, leave it alone if your worried about the life of the transmission.

Ian
Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

DSteck, can you explain what "true" means? I am very familiar with Mitsubishi Evo's and Dodge SRT-8 (Magnum) tuning, but I do not catch what you mean by keeping the numbers "true" on the Vette.

My 06 2500HD Duramax/Allison had communications from the ECU to the TCU so that the engine would defuel between shifts in order to keep the tranny alive, and my MSRT-8 has a TQ controlling algorythm that some tuners turn off or defeat. Is there something similar on the A6's in the Corvette hat needs to be left alone?

Thanks
I don't know the specifics, but the transmission controller (and consequently the transmission) isn't happy when the reported torque is totally wrong. It's more a result of a raped PCM calibration.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
BAIN
Instructor

You can also reduce the amout of TM insted of all or nothing.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BAIN
You can also reduce the amout of TM insted of all or nothing.
On upshift you can reduce TM by simply shortening shift times but I have found no way to reduce on downshift. I've tried working with Base Power downshift, Base CT downshift, Downshift Normal, Shift Torque factor, Shift Torque Factor Adder and more and nothing seems to eliminate the slow downshift from 25 mph and up. If you know the trick on partial TM reduction on downshift I would like to know. Downshift from 25 mph and up are granny slow!

I'm thinking maybe it's in the spark tables rather than TM?

Last edited by 8850; 09-18-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:06 PM
BAIN
Instructor

To be honest with you I haven't messed to much with the downshift. I don't drive around hitting it at low speeds to see how fast it downshifts. I think if anything getting rid of the TM during downshifts could damage a tranny worse than on the upshift.
It may be just my thinking here, but on the upshifts as the rpms go up the torque is being decreased. On the otherhand if the tranny downshifts from say 2-1 the torque would be multiplied because of the lower rpm and lower gear. To me that would shock the internals of the tranny.

Who knows I may be totally off on the thinking
Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Melting Slicks

You may be right on downshift having more of a detrimental effect than upshift. But over a second from 5-1 or 6-2 to shift seems overly conservative when the 4-1 takes less than 1/2 second. I don't want all TM/advance eliminated just some. You don't have to be at slow speed either. Even at 55 mph it slow to power.

I have taken friends for a ride and they have mentioned how long it takes to power after WOT.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
ConceptLSX
4th Gear

CT downshift means Closed Throttle downshift so this will not do anything when trying to make it downshift faster when you're gettin on it. And like Dsteck said, make sure your VCM tune is correct before you dial in your TCM tune, line pressure and shift times are based on delivered engine torque and temperature for the most part, and if you airflow and spark tables are off, your shifting will be too.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 PM
wcrmltd
Intermediate

I agree with you on which will cause more damage if the down shift is because you are downshifting to accelerate. if the down shift is done during de-celeration then the harm is min. any shift where the power is going to be applied then the computer is going to assue clutch lock prior to letting torq come on. I am going to LG motorsports Monday to talk about the changes.

I would like to see if any members with automatics have had the TM turned off with the LG tune and what issues if any they had.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:10 AM
da vette guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8850
On upshift you can reduce TM by simply shortening shift times but I have found no way to reduce on downshift. I've tried working with Base Power downshift, Base CT downshift, Downshift Normal, Shift Torque factor, Shift Torque Factor Adder and more and nothing seems to eliminate the slow downshift from 25 mph and up. If you know the trick on partial TM reduction on downshift I would like to know. Downshift from 25 mph and up are granny slow!

I'm thinking maybe it's in the spark tables rather than TM?
Larry,thought you got your shifts where you wanted them..
Old 09-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by da vette guy
Larry,thought you got your shifts where you wanted them..
After more testing I found out that only below 25 mph was TM where I wanted. Takes about .4 to downshift with some advance reduction below 25 mph but anything above 25 mph is over a second with lots of timing reduction.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:18 PM
wcrmltd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8850
After more testing I found out that only below 25 mph was TM where I wanted. Takes about .4 to downshift with some advance reduction below 25 mph but anything above 25 mph is over a second with lots of timing reduction.
can you tell me the different sections that control torq and how each affects the car. or can you point me to a site that can explain the TM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Melting Slicks

can you tell me the different sections that control torq and how each affects the car. or can you point me to a site that can explain the TM.
You can find out a lot about TM and our A6 tranny on the HP Tuner forum: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/ But to find someone that knows this A6 well may be difficult. The pro tuners can make the tranny perform well on upshift but nobody has been able to tell me what to do to reduce TM during downshift. I've looked at some of their tunes and from all I've seen they just disable TM altogether. That's not quite what I want to do. And the things they have done to partially disable that I've tried did not work. I can get my downshift down to .438 seconds below 25 mph and it feels good. 25 and above no where near that close.

Get notified of new replies

To HP Tuner with Auto trans C6

Quick Reply: HP Tuner with Auto trans C6