C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just getting started here.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 PM
chad.orourke
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just getting started here.....

So I had my car tuned by some kid with a laptop and I was marginally impressed with his work. He was however foolish enough to explain a little bit about how he was doing the tuning. Being a Systems Administrator by trade and a hobby mechanic that does most if not all of his own work I have determined I would rather do this myself than pay someone else to do it. I do however have some questions.

1. What is the complete list of purchases I need to make? I have seen tuner packages with the tuner suite and a wide band from tuningschool, but that by no means that is all I need. And yes I have a laptop.

2. Can I plug the wide band o2 into my rear o2 ports in my kooks headers and just leave them there for the life of the car? If so how do you wire the sensor in to the cabin?

3. I would like to have a gauge pod on the A-pillar at some point so if there is a package that will somewhat match a quality boost gauge that would be great as well. If I was to run gauges then which ones should I run with?

All help is appreciated and before you mention it yes I plan to use the home school method with the tuning school.

Thanks again

Chad
Old 10-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chad.orourke
So I had my car tuned by some kid with a laptop and I was marginally impressed with his work. He was however foolish enough to explain a little bit about how he was doing the tuning. Being a Systems Administrator by trade and a hobby mechanic that does most if not all of his own work I have determined I would rather do this myself than pay someone else to do it. I do however have some questions.

1. What is the complete list of purchases I need to make? I have seen tuner packages with the tuner suite and a wide band from tuningschool, but that by no means that is all I need. And yes I have a laptop.

2. Can I plug the wide band o2 into my rear o2 ports in my kooks headers and just leave them there for the life of the car? If so how do you wire the sensor in to the cabin?

3. I would like to have a gauge pod on the A-pillar at some point so if there is a package that will somewhat match a quality boost gauge that would be great as well. If I was to run gauges then which ones should I run with?

All help is appreciated and before you mention it yes I plan to use the home school method with the tuning school.

Thanks again

Chad

Along with tuning and scanning software package, such as HP Tuners, I highly recommend a WB02 kit. Of course, you already know that. There is a steep learning curve especially how to use the software. Its not that intuitive. I am still learning some features of the scanning software.

In my case, when I was calibrating the VE and MAF tables, I simply put the PCM in open loop, set the PCM commanded AFR to 13:1 and ran around recording the AFR % error and changing the tables until the commanded AFR and actual were withing 1-2% at all RPM and loads. Then reinstalled the NB and put the PCM back in Close Loop. If you go to HP Tuners website, you can download instructions how to do this.

Its a good idea to have a separate O2 bung welded into a header collector just for the WB02 because for the PCM to run in closed loop it needs to receive a signal from the NBO2 sensors. Because the NB and WB output not the same voltage, you simply can not substitute the WB for the NB. My PLX WB02s connects to a dongle which has an output at the NB voltage so it is possible but I would have to modify the original NB wiring harness or connector which I was not willing to fool with.

If you want to install a permanent WB gauge, then just add the bung to the header. The passengers side seems to have enough room.

I learned by reading the HP Tuners fourm. I had a mentor in town who I could call and ask questions. I also bought up Greg Banish's book "Engine Management Advanced Tuning" at Barnes & Noble. You can order it on-line, too. I consider this a must have book as it explains theory and the process of tuning.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mez; 10-01-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:23 PM
0ian@thetuningschool
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chad.orourke

Thanks again

Chad

Hey chad,

Give me a call if you would like to know more on what The Tuning School offers, ill be glad to take care off you. 727 264 8875

Ian

Get notified of new replies

To Just getting started here.....

Quick Reply: Just getting started here.....