C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech2 problem: PC canīt connect to Tech2 - NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tech2 problem: PC canīt connect to Tech2 - NEED HELP!

Hi Folks,

i finally bought a GM Tech2. All functions seems to be OK, no problems on the self tests etc etc. Software on the Tech2 is 30.001

I installed TIS/SPS Software Version 27.xxx on two different PCīs. On both i cannot connect the Tech2 to the PC. I used the RS232 cable with the DB9 Adapter to a seriel COM Port at the PC.

While trying to use the "Tech2 view" option on the TIS Software, i get the following message: "E625 unable to communicate with handheld device, check your connection". I did check, and all looks fine, tried a different COM port, same problem. The Tech2 seems to realize he is connected to a PC cause he displays a "Download" Message upon startup. This message doesnt show up if not connected to a PC.

I tried all COM port settings in the I/O Management, tried the "Tech2"--> Test feature and got a "E2482 Driver Testfailed" Error message...

I have no idea how what to check next, or what settings might be wrong...
I have two available COM ports, both wit settings:

- 9600 baud (i tried as well different values here!)
- 8 Databits
- no parity
- 1 Stopbit

Do i have to change any of those settings?
Is there a chance the Tech2 is defect?
Would a Seriell to USB Adapter would do the job?

I really hope somebody can jump in here and give me a helping hand!!!

Best regards!

Jochen
Old 02-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Good news!

I had OS XP home, but i needed XP pro which i didnt knew. A friend told me to upgrade to XP pro which i did and all is working fine now.

Just wanted to let you guys know in case anybody is about to experience the same problem.

Take care!

Jochen
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Hi there...

Today i did a complete TIS/SPS programmingt procedure on a new BCM on my 07 Escalde (should be a similar CAN System like the 07 C6 has...). The BCM was damaged by a short. I had varioues problems with lighting system, turn signals, hood open switch, e-brake indicator etc etc. After replacing the BCM and working through the programming process, all is fine again.

BUT, it seems to be that my Tech2 has another issue:

The GM Service Manual says to "relearn the restraints ID" after programming the BCM. I tried that using the Diagnostic function of the Tech2, but the Tech2 crashes everytime i try to establish communication with the car. I tried any other "Diagnostic Function" of the Tech2 - nothing worked! I tried on the 07 Escalade with the CANdI module, and i tried without the CANdI on my 1997 Corvette. Everytime i try to establish com. the Tech2 chrashes with a Message on the Screen. It says: "SCRNMNGR.C 4426 -1". When trying the Diagnostic Mode on the PCM the same thing happend. Then showing error message: "DBDDNAV.C 1630 -1211". In any case, the Tech2 doesnt take anymore inputs from the Keypad and i have to switch it OFF and restart.

Any Idea what that could be? I know it is definitally a Tech2 issue, not a car related problem.

Anyway... good to have the car work again, i just need to get the restraints ID relearned again (right now i just get an "service airbag system" message)...

Take care, and thanks again for your help!

Jochen
Old 02-24-2018, 07:06 PM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Digging up old thread looking for advice.
I have a clone Tech2 that will not connect to my laptop to use SPS in TIS2000. Error E625 Unable to communicate with handheld device.

I have XP prop already, so that shouldn't be my problem. I read somewhere to check for a MAX202 chip instead of MAX232. Opened it up and there is a MAX232 chip installed.

The Tech 2 functions properly by itself. I have used it to reprogram tire sizes in a few trucks and to delete the F45 from my 97.

Anyone have any insight?

Last edited by 78GEN3; 02-24-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:42 AM
Jochen
Drifting

In my case the problem was that the seller sold me a chinese clone. I did not get it to work properly on the scanning functions. Send trhe unit back and bought aused one from a GM dealer. All works fine since then.... 8 years ago till today
The following users liked this post:
78GEN3 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 AM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have narrowed it down to the RS232 chip. The unit fails the RS232 loopback test. Everything else works fine. I may order a chip and install it or upgrde to a MDI at least for the SPS functions.

Get notified of new replies

To Tech2 problem: PC canīt connect to Tech2 - NEED HELP!

Quick Reply: Tech2 problem: PC canīt connect to Tech2 - NEED HELP!