C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New plugs/gap causing rough idle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Ant-Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default New plugs/gap causing rough idle.

Went from TR6 @ .35 to BR7EF @ .28 due to it breaking up under load.

Idle is a lot rougher now, no codes but it's running like trash. It has an A&A kit, 93 + meth.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:20 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant-Man
Went from TR6 @ .35 to BR7EF @ .28 due to it breaking up under load.

Idle is a lot rougher now, no codes but it's running like trash. It has an A&A kit, 93 + meth.
You're two steps colder now on plugs. Assume you're an LS2/3, cold plugs by two steps are going to perform best at WOT with normal op temps, and that assumes you have a dialed in tune, but sacrifice at idle and mid range. Plugs are too cold to perform well at low cylinder air mass.

My suggestion is to go back to 6s and work out through the tune what is not working at WOT. Or, if you insist on the 7s, get timing table adjusted and see if it can smooth out some at idle, but you're in a trade off range.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Ant-Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
You're two steps colder now on plugs. Assume you're an LS2/3, cold plugs by two steps are going to perform best at WOT with normal op temps, and that assumes you have a dialed in tune, but sacrifice at idle and mid range. Plugs are too cold to perform well at low cylinder air mass.

My suggestion is to go back to 6s and work out through the tune what is not working at WOT. Or, if you insist on the 7s, get timing table adjusted and see if it can smooth out some at idle, but you're in a trade off range.
I figured as much, it's going to get worked on and re-tuned next weekend but it's just sitting until then.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

I'm running NGK TR7ix plugs and the car idles smooth with an A&A kit.

Check spark plug wires, maybe by pulling on them you might have a crack on one causing a slight miss.

If the car idled smoother before the spark plug change, then it's has to be a bad spark plug or spark plug wire.

I felt no difference in idle quality dropping from TR6's to TR7 ix's and both gapped at .032.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 03-08-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

EF are a non projected tip that many don't like the idle of. Seen this a few times. Not sure why. Friend couldn't stand them and went back to 6s. The 7ix are a projected like stock. I would try those if you need a 7 range. If you were looking all I would give you a set.
The following users liked this post:
Ant-Man (03-10-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 10:25 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I ran the factory plugs with a big cam and all was fine. .040 gap. I ran the TR6 and they were rough. Narrowed the plug gap to .024, Idle cleaned up a lot but not perfect. I'm going to retune. The car temps were the same with both sets of plugs on the track. 215 coolant, 225 oil. I have a large oil cooler. Used to see 275 oil temps.

Get notified of new replies

To New plugs/gap causing rough idle.

Quick Reply: New plugs/gap causing rough idle.