C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metal/metal rubbing noise only while moving

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:13 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts
Default metal/metal rubbing noise only while moving

Hey guys,

I just noticed a very quiet metal on metal rubbing noise ONLY when its moving. I suspect this rules out anything on the clutch end (pilot bearing, slave, flywheel, etc.).

I initially thought it was the torque tube - which it still might be - but its very QUIET. I wonder if its the TT going out?

2nd, I thought perhaps it was my diff - However I don't know how to test it, I lifted the car off the ground and drove it in 1st - no noise but a lot of unhappy shuddering from the diff - but i suspect thats due to unloading/loading of the diff gears because theres no load on it.

3rd, I thought it might be a wheel bearing. However, I lifted the car and spun the tires and it doesnt make any noises. Of course this doesnt mean its totally fine, perhaps its just starting to go bad so I cant spin it fast enough to make noises?

lastly, I thought MAYBE its the brakes. There is a pronounced ridge on the outer edge of rotors which may be contacting the brake pads when im driving...

it is not a constant "rolling" noise (i.e. marbles in a can - torque tube issue). it sounds ALMOST like a brake pad that is vibrating, but its a little to consistent at speeds and very quiet (? possible?). I will pull the tires off this weekend and double check this... I am heavily leaning towards brakes (hoping, actually).

There is some play in the diff.

There is a oil wet spot between the transaxle and torque tube (???)

Should i start looking for TT bearings? A new diff?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ahrmike; 04-05-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:35 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I would start by finding what the leak is. That should point you in the right direction hopefully. They could be unrelated though
If you can rock a wheel it might be a bearing.
If it is brakes dragging the speed of the sound should change.
I would do the brakes if needed. Check the wheel bearings by in and out movement. Find the leak and fix. Just go through the systems repair/fix as needed.
Good luck

Quick Reply: metal/metal rubbing noise only while moving