C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$900 for a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:53 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by hoganj
My last one was on the dyno for almost 8 hours. I had an automatic but at the time he didn't do autos and the charge was about $750. That was 3 years ago. I gained about 50 hp and1 mpg on a stock LS2. He is really good on built engines like yours. Talk to him again and see if he knows you have a manual.

8hrs??? thats ridiculous to have a car on the dyno that long

$900 is nuts...even if you had to buy credits for HP ,,,whats his hourly dyno rate $200hr??
Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 AM
Twayneo1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I should have bought HP tuners a long time ago so far I'm $1400 deep into tuning, which is like 2 HPTuners pro versions. I'm buying HPtuners after this next tune, i am going to compare all three tunes and figure out what and why my tuner changed certain things
Old 08-10-2017, 02:01 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by TurboLX
Yes, even expensive "big name" tooners can be less than acceptable. However, I rarely find that truly experienced guys who take the time to do things right (both airflow models across the whole range, for example) will do so for $500 out the door. A proper calibration takes time.

That said, an educated consumer is often the best customer. If you educate yourself a bit as an enthusiast and are able to ask a few targeted questions like "will you dial in both MAF and Speed Density using steady state measurements?", then you can quickly weed out some of the tooners who are just out take take your money instead of really dialing in your car properly with good methods. I've had lots of non-tuners attend my classes, read my books, and watch my videos just so they can learn more about what someone else would be doing to their cars. Hopefully, it allows them to have a better conversation with the calibrator and appreciate the work that they're doing.
Thank you! that is exactly what I tell people...ask questions and know why and what you are getting...its your car and your money don't let a name lead you into a false sense of security...there are tone of shortcuts and ways to half *** things and you won't know...ask to see what they are doing and ask questions.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Chuck at Corvettes of Westchester

Chuck Mosello totally came through for me in a very quick way.

I brought my Vette in from another state and brought it back to California standards by 'de modding the vehicle'

Chuck got me a fresh tune for my vehicle. It was easy to load and he was there every step of the way.

Having owned several corvettes, I have always tinkered with them, too many dyno pulls to recall.

But Chucks knowledge of the LS engine and remote tuning made all the difference.

I highly recommend him.

His number is 914-332-0049

Old 08-11-2017, 05:41 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Chuck is colorful...he catches his share of blowback....but there is no question, Chuck KNOWS his stuff.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Chuck is colorful...he catches his share of blowback....but there is no question, Chuck KNOWS his stuff.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:38 PM
badazz81z28
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone in southern Utah?

See how Frost tune charges $550, I'm not paying $900 for a tune....plus the rental of a trailer to get it there
Old 08-26-2017, 03:19 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Heck, I would pay 2 grand if I could just get it done right. Ive had my car to some top shops and you wouldnt know it from driving it!
Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll just restate a little of my training with EFI guys out there in AZ and personal experience before corvettes. Price will be different everywhere, because there is no industry standard. Just like there is no standard on what is considered a quality tune on a dyno. One person will call a full tune; clean up idle, adjust spark on WOT......done. The next person will take it that extra step and only tune a car if they also get paid to do all the midrange. You can spend a crazy amount of time dialing in midrange; and that right there makes WORLDS of difference day to day. Like others have said I'd pay WAY more than $900 on a tune, but it depends on what that $900 was getting me. I've paid funny enough $900 on a tune that blew my Inline Pro built S2000 engine in under 3 hours; every piston was charred to sh*t on intake. Your in safer tune waters being a NA engine. Lucky for you, Nevada has a pretty good list of dyno's and tuners i'd imagine. Shop on referrals and quality of shop. I'd be running this by a local forum on who to use.

Last edited by IansInGarage; 08-30-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: $900 for a tune?